After 3 months, I finally convinced my wife to go shooting!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    She LOVED it and wants to go again!

Actually, I am not too sure that I convinced her, I just aggravated her enough to where we made a deal. She would go if I would shut up and not bother her about it anymore. In her opinion, Guns kill people and animals. They aren't meant to have fun with.

Anyways, I spoke to my uncle about it on giving her the basics of shooting and told him this was our one shot to change her mind.

So he came to the range armed with a Walther p22, a ruger 22 rifle with a holographic red dot sight and his AR with dedicated 22 and 223 uppers. I came with 25 balloons, 20 clay pigeons and a box of 550 22lr ammo.

Uncle started her out with the pistol shooting on paper about 10yds out. All shots hit the paper, yet they were really low and to the left and somewhat scattered. we hung up some balloons and she managed to hit one after 12 or 13 shots. He told her to let him know when she was sighted in and ready to fire and he pulled the trigger. Hit 6 balloons with 8rds. So she has the sight down, but she is too quick on the trigger.

Then we moved onto the ruger 22 rifle with the holographic red dot sight.
    She was going to town on it! busted 4 balloons and 2 pigeons with 10rds. @ 25yds. And mutilated a pop can after words.

Then onto the AR with the 22 upper, that had a scope on it, she didn't do too well on that. But she blames it on the heaviness of the rifle and her left arm was hurting. (3yrs ago she was in a car accident and had two compound fractures on her left arm and subsequently required surgery with a total of 4 plates being inserted.)

So after Uncle and I shot around for a bit, She was back up to the task of the 223 with iron sites. Killed 3 pigeons with 10rds.

Then she chose the Ruger to finish off the balloons and pigeons....

25 balloons shot---- $1.25 and thought I was going to die blowing them all up.
    20 Clay Pigeons---- $2 something
    over 250rds of ammo shot---$10.00
    Her shooting way better her first time than I did--- I don't care! She wants to go shooting again next week!!! :rockwoot::rockwoot::ar15::ar15::ar15::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    Very nice, congrats! If you get her to like guns also it will be easier to convince her on the next new gun purchase;)

Especially if it's a new 22 for her. Congratulations. Buy her some reactive targets as well. Then be prepared to double your ammo needs. Then don't be surprised when your wife resembles this in 6 months. :draw:

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    My wife shoots and it has been great for us. Another thing we enjoy that we can do together. And then when she says, "can you do the dishes?" I say, "Ah, I would honey, but I have to clean your gun...you know unless you would rather..." HAHA, seriously though it also makes me feel better when I am out that she can handle herself.

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    My wife shoots and it has been great for us. Another thing we enjoy that we can do together. And then when she says, "can you do the dishes?" I say, "Ah, I would honey, but I have to clean your gun...you know unless you would rather..." HAHA, seriously though it also makes me feel better when I am out that she can handle herself.

Oh, but be prepared if she says, "Thanks love, I'd much rather clean my gun."
    cleaning/fondling guns is WAY better than doing the dishes.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Stick a plastic straw into flour and transfer the flour into the balloons before you blow them up. When they are hit it seems like an artillery shell just landed.

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    Took the wife shooting again!

Took the wife out again. Since she was a show off with my uncle's Ruger 10/22 with a holographic sight on it, Decided to borrow my dad's no name 22 lever action riffle with regular sights that he got from his father when he was 13. So if I can do basic math correctly that would make the rifle 47yrs old! (My dad is 60 btw, in case you want to check my math.. :laugh:)

She loved it! shot 10 balloons and a laundry detergent jug 5 times with all but 4 rounds hitting them at 25yds so 78% or 15 out of 19 shots hitting isn't bad I suppose for her first time shooting with standard sights...

She also shot at rifle targets. ended up shooting 40 rounds at roughly 11 yards. 1st shot was high, right on the 7 and 8 ring line. Next 1 was low in the 9 ring and the other 37 were in the 9 and 10 rings with 8 of those rounds in the bulls eye? x ring.

So I put up a 3rd target up and moved it to 15yds. out of the 10rds she put 3 in the 10 ring, 2 right on the 9 and 10 ring line, 3 in the 9 ring and one which was her first shot was high in the 8 ring.

Was going to shoot more and move the target out to about 20yds, but got a phone call and our girls ride from school wasn't going to be able to pick them up, so we had to call it a day and leave.

Now if I can just get her comfortable with shooting a pistol!!! but I'm not going to rush it, at least she is shooting!!!!!!!!!

And before you all shout: :postpics:

Just don't tell my wife or she will kill me....

Lshooting.jpg

Her First four shots...

Ltarget.jpg

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    The wife liking to shoot is awesome. I recently talked my wife into going to the range with me and heard the greatest words she has ever spoken to me. I will quote "We only have two handguns, we need more." Happiest man alive at that moment.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    She LOVED it and wants to go again!

Actually, I am not too sure that I convinced her, I just aggravated her enough to where we made a deal. She would go if I would shut up and not bother her about it anymore. In her opinion, Guns kill people and animals. They aren't meant to have fun with.

Anyways, I spoke to my uncle about it on giving her the basics of shooting and told him this was our one shot to change her mind.

So he came to the range armed with a Walther p22, a ruger 22 rifle with a holographic red dot sight and his AR with dedicated 22 and 223 uppers. I came with 25 balloons, 20 clay pigeons and a box of 550 22lr ammo.

Uncle started her out with the pistol shooting on paper about 10yds out. All shots hit the paper, yet they were really low and to the left and somewhat scattered. we hung up some balloons and she managed to hit one after 12 or 13 shots. He told her to let him know when she was sighted in and ready to fire and he pulled the trigger. Hit 6 balloons with 8rds. So she has the sight down, but she is too quick on the trigger.

Then we moved onto the ruger 22 rifle with the holographic red dot sight.
    She was going to town on it! busted 4 balloons and 2 pigeons with 10rds. @ 25yds. And mutilated a pop can after words.

Then onto the AR with the 22 upper, that had a scope on it, she didn't do too well on that. But she blames it on the heaviness of the rifle and her left arm was hurting. (3yrs ago she was in a car accident and had two compound fractures on her left arm and subsequently required surgery with a total of 4 plates being inserted.)

So after Uncle and I shot around for a bit, She was back up to the task of the 223 with iron sites. Killed 3 pigeons with 10rds.

Then she chose the Ruger to finish off the balloons and pigeons....

25 balloons shot---- $1.25 and thought I was going to die blowing them all up.
    20 Clay Pigeons---- $2 something
    over 250rds of ammo shot---$10.00
    Her shooting way better her first time than I did--- I don't care! She wants to go shooting again next week!!! :rockwoot::rockwoot::ar15::ar15::ar15::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Im going to be honest...i only read the first three sentences then stopped. Why? Because it only took you three months....it took me three years! And i still have to drag her to the range! So i hate you and am jealous lmao! :D

Ok honestly....Congrats! Any man who wins the battle of getting the lady into shooting is a lucky man.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    The wife liking to shoot is awesome. I recently talked my wife into going to the range with me and heard the greatest words she has ever spoken to me. I will quote "We only have two handguns, we need more." Happiest man alive at that moment.
    Just wait- my hubby is currently unhappy with me because of my recent spending on guns. That's almost funny! :laugh:

Sullivan_pbr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Romney
    My wife will come out with me every once in a while and shoot a little bit. Never been able to figure out how to get her to clean the guns after she shoots though haha. I do really enjoy having her with me at the range. And as a bonus she seems a little more open to me spending money on ammo now that she takes part in the fun.

Top Bottom