• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It was a slow opening day. I only got a glimpse of a buck in the AM, and was skunked in the evening. Sunday morning, skunked again. I had high hopes for Sunday evening with the snow moving in to the area. I got settled just in time for the the sleet to begin. The sleet changed over to snow around 4. By 5 it was sticking and coming down hard, but still no deer.

The sun set at 5:30...no deer. I then saw what I thought was a doe tearing across the pasture towards me and got set for the buck that was surely chasing, but there was no buck. Upon closet inspection the deer was a button buck, and he met up with another one behind me and headed off to the south. As I was watching them, this guy came in from the north. I couldn't really make out what he was exactly due to the fading light, the snow, and the fog that had rolled in to the creek bottom, but I knew he was a good sized deer with a decent frame. Took the shot (70ish yds.) and he ran off in to the snow and fog. I thought I saw him pile up, but wasn't sure.

After packing up and getting down, I found his tracks in the snow easily but no blood. I tracked for 30 yds, no blood. 50 yards and still no blood. About 20 yards later, there he laid. Not my biggest, but after years of passing bucks, I'm happy! Now I can dedicate my energy to getting my boy on one!
    IMG_20141116_185111618_zpsrwzuiuo_edit_1416362679179_zpsugu6rqkt.jpg

IMG_20141116_201000971_zpsgtmkxau_edit_1416364756089_zpsteb1q3w6.jpg

Screenshot_2014-11-18-19-17-212_zpswpfgcvm_edit_1416383702230_zpsotewoq6w.jpg

Last edited:

JMWetzel89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Congrats very nice buck. I too have been passing on bucks for four years. So far this year iv only had a glimpse of the big boy but I'm still hopeful I will have some luck this year.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Congrats bro thats what happens when you put your time in and pass them little bucks they grow up to be big bucks.... +1 to you bro..... ;) The pic with you and the young fella looks like that buck has a monster neck on him.... Will be a super nice mount..

Last edited:
    Top Bottom