• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • balorg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Bloomington
    We are back for another round of testing a different brand of frangible ammunition. This last weekend, I decided to purchase a box of Fiocchi frangible ammunition in 40S&W. I purchased it from MC Sports in Bloomington, and again with the help of Lovemywoods we wanted to see how well this ammo would break apart compared to the Winchester Ranger ammunition from my previous thread.

And so, without further a due, let’s begin!:ar15:

The setup:
    1. Firearm: Springfield XD40 Sub-Compact
    2. Ammunition: Fiocchi Non-toxic frangible 40S&W 125 GR.
    a. Note: I was unable to find this round on their website. I don’t know if it has been dis-continued or if the website hasn’t been updated. I was also unable to access their electronic catalog (PDF) because every time it successfully downloaded I was unable to open it due to file corruption.
    3. Range: Lovemywoods Pistol Range
    4. Target Distance: approximately 10 ft
    5. Targets:
    a. Metal Door with Styrofoam insulation
    b. Interior solid wood door.
    c. Box of truth with 5/8” drywall and 2x4 pine frame

Results:
    Getting ready with my wife Isis looking on…(she was tired that day, but had a lot fun riding on an ATV with me!)

5144281772_a3901d2238.jpg

Photograph of ammunition box and round:

5143675811_af71a9809f.jpg

5143675919_02da595291.jpg

Metal door results:
    My first shot:

5144281618_4b7068db9a.jpg

Front side:

5143675883_7f0e2805a3.jpg

Rear side:

5144281870_d0fbef9559.jpg

Thoughts concerning the metal door:
    Overall, the round definitely has more of a kickback compared to the Winchester Ammunition. Obviously this round is heavier compared to the Winchester frangible ammunition. The only thing that surprised us about the results is that the bullet exited the rear side of the door more cleanly compared to the Winchester ammunition as you can see above. Finally, there was no evidence of bullet ever breaking apart upon exiting the door.

Interior wood door results:
    Front side:

5144281996_2d33be337e.jpg

Rear side:

5144281828_d96436349a.jpg

Thoughts concerning the interior wood door:
    The only noticeable difference between this ammunition and the Winchester is how the bullet exited out the rear side of the door. It splintered the backside considerably more than the Winchester ammo but again there’s no evidence of it beginning to break apart upon exiting the door.

Box of Truth: Two pieces of drywall, 2x4 interior frame, two pieces of drywall, four one-gallon jugs of water

5143676145_1303ebe482.jpg

Exit holes of bullet in 2x4 wall frame:

5143676093_1b167114dc.jpg

Water Jugs blowing up behind the drywall (I don’t tire of watching water jugs explode!):

5143676343_78b66d1b52.jpg

5143676293_25267c9c6a.jpg

Success!

5144282238_22c65398be.jpg

Thoughts concerning the drywall:
    The first bullet penetrated through everything up to the second jug. However, the bullet deflected off the jug and we’re unable to retrieve it. The second bullet penetrated everything up to the fourth jug where it was captured. The biggest surprise to me was the amount of rifling that was on the bullet.
    Finally, we were unable to capture the bullet using water jugs behind both the solid wood and metal doors. We think the main reason why were unable to capture it is because of how easily the bullet deflects while traveling through the water jugs. We speculate that this is due to the high velocity of the bullet itself. The bullet not only passed through four jugs, but it pushed the last one right off the bench. See below...

5144282182_555c2c0c67.jpg

5144282294_460ba6ed4e.jpg

I hope everyone enjoyed reading this A.A.R. on Fiocchi Frangible Ammunition!

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Great job-no break up??

Am I wrong to think that frangible ammo is supposed to break up/shatter upon hard impact?
    The bullet looked like a FMJ on recovery to me?
    Thanks for the time to test+please clue me in..:dunno:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Am I wrong to think that frangible ammo is supposed to break up/shatter upon hard impact?

Frangible ammo is marketed that way, but these test are showing different results.

Many times you'll hear people recommend frangible rounds to folks in apartments or places where there are people on the other sides of walls. But, as these tests have shown, you might as well be using FMJ.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Frangible ammo is marketed that way, but these test are showing different results.

Many times you'll hear people recommend frangible rounds to folks in apartments or places where there are people on the other sides of walls. But, as these tests have shown, you might as well be using FMJ.

And also don't let anyone sell you a bill of goods that "this is the same stuff that the Air Marshals use because it won't go through a body and puncture the aircraft." Bunch of hooey.

-J-

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    And that was the same results that were acquired in the last test as well weren't they? It sounds like you should save the $$$ and like esrice said, stick with FMJ. DId you by chance test any HP or FMJ this time around?

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    And that was the same results that were acquired in the last test as well weren't they? It sounds like you should save the $$$ and like esrice said, stick with FMJ. DId you by chance test any HP or FMJ this time around?
    I know my handloaded HP's through milk jugs full of water will do a lot better job. Usually great "flower pedal" into the 4th or 5th jug..

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US

I was always under the impression that frangible ammo disintegrates on contact with dense, hard surfaces such as steel targets (think close-range training, shoot houses, etc); I would not have expected it to do so on contact with drywall or an interior/exterior door. :dunno:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I was always under the impression that frangible ammo disintegrates on contact with dense, hard surfaces such as steel targets (think close-range training, shoot houses, etc); I would not have expected it to do so on contact with drywall or an interior/exterior door. :dunno:

Yes I have heard that too-- like some ranges with shoot houses requiring the use of frangible ammo only.

But I've also heard it recommended for apartment dwellers who want to cut down on over-penetration. (I know that is partly why the OP wanted to run these tests)

I think this all comes down to the fact that if its going to kill badguys, its going to go through your walls and doors.

bulletbaron

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Frangible ammunition

Frangible projectiles and designed and produced to disintegrate upon coming into contact with a surface that is harder than the projectile. I do not believe a sheet metal door with a Styrofoam interior, a wooden door, water jugs, drywall, or pine 2 x 4's fall into this classification. We load the Sinterfire projectile (www.sinterfire.com) into all calibres that we produce, with the majority going to Law Enforcement Agencies for LIVE fire training in "Shoot Houses", the remainder going to Steel Plate Shooters, both these groups use them for the same reason, NO ricochets.

Remember, frangible projectiles have both mass & velocity as do FMJ, TCJ, and Lead projectiles, so the "I heard" scenarios about apartment walls & doors, Glaser "Safety Slugs" and all other wife tales need to be researched for authenticity!!!

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    I have done a lot of research and testing on the frangible ammunition. Specifically sinterfire bullets. The bullets will turn to dust whenever they hit something as hard as themselves. Otherwise it is a regular bullet. I have tested sinterfire 9mm frangible bullets on metal targets and they have disintegrated into dust every time. I have also tested the same bullet on a cinder block, direct head on impact. The bullet did disintegrate but also cracked the cinder block in two. Three rounds had the cinder block in many pieces. No richotets or splatter though. Wood, drywall, thin metal won't stand a chance.

balorg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Bloomington

Yes, it is same result as the last test. I am going to test HP on the next round.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

They are designed as training ammo, and meant to fragment on impact with steel targets and back stops. They aren't intended to be "Glaser like."

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Awesome tests!

Makes me wonder about "rifle" frangibles, such as Winchester's 5.56 frangible ammo. Due to it's speed, would it fragment against dry wall or autoglass (probably the latter).

I have been thinking of an idea, mainly extending the fragmentation range of 5.56 in shorter barrels without going to HP ammo (just for fun and mental exercise, going to stick to good ammo for defense) by using frangible ammo to act like a fragmenting M193 or similar at close range, but fragmenting similarly due to yaw at longer range (longer than M193 16" barrel frag threshold).

Top Bottom