after purchasing a gun do you ever find a better deal online?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcshaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    $13 is well worth it to support a local business. The internet has killed the local shop. I think you should keep your dollars in the local community whenever possible. And as others have pointed out the benefit is in establishing relationships with the store owners and being able to lay hands/inspect the merchandise before making a purchase.

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    You know guys, Now that I think about it. Maybe $13 more for used but like new isn't that big of a deal. Now that I think about it, we got there about 330pm the store closed at 5:00 and we were there until 5:30 and come to think of it, he didn't seem anxious to get us out the door one bit.

I felt as if the "single stack" of a S&W 4096 (??)felt better in my hand, but the p94 had a wider grip and was really liking the p94 except for grip. the guy walked off, grabbed a box that had a rubberish grip that had what I call finger grips built in it, and put it on and had me hold the gun... WOW! it felt soooo much better imo. I said sold, how much for the grips, he said don't worry about it. I aim to please....

So I guess I really don't have much to grumble about now that I think of it.

Thanks for beating some sense into me gang!!! :bash:

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Well down here in my area, I can almost bet if I head to Wittaker's I am going to get the best price on a gun available anywhere even at most reputable places online. So I usually just compare everywhere else I am shopping to the price I can get at Wittaker. I will buy local or travel to a place I can buy at to feel the gun, I have gone to Terre Haute, Indy and New Albany and most often Owensboro just to buy a gun so I can put my eyes and hands on it first.

stroyed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Andersonville,IN
    I always try to buy from a local gunshop if possible. I am not a fan of the large chain stores. Gander Mountain is at the top of my most hated list. We need to keep the "little guy" shops in business. If I have to $10 more at my local shop, I will do it everytime. These are the guys that will be there for you when you need some service.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Not sure if we are allowed to post rants or not since I am still a newbie. If not, I apologize.

I went to the local gun store today, Checked out a what they called a used but as new Ruger p94 40 S&W. Had my Uncle with me which is retired fire arms instructor from the Boarder Patrol, He field stripped it and said it didn't even look like it had been fired!

Anyways, I got caught up in the moment and Bought it for $475 plus tax,actually its on layaway with 450 put down on it.

I come home after taking the Mrs. out on a date per say... Jump on line, and find NIB p94's for $450, 25 shipping then of course $20 transfer fee So a total of $495.

After tax I am paying $508.25 for a Used but as new one.:xmad::xmad::xmad:

Guess I will remember this situation when it is time to pick up a 2nd gun....

I certainly haven't. I paid $490 for my S&W MP Pro 9mm (5" barrel) from my local range and gun dealer. That is the cheapest I have seen....and you can't even find them for sale online, supplies are out of stock and have been now for about a month or so.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Unless I am saving $50 or more I will not buy over the internet for the following reasons:

1. First and foremost I want to support my community and friends at the gun shops I frequent. If I am only going to save $5-25 or so on a gun I'd rather that go to my local shop.

2. The hassle and risk of paying in USPS $ order or whatever, waiting and then transfer and of course hoping it was as the seller described.

3. Did I say to support my friends and local gunshop owners???;););)

That said I have purchased many many guns on line saving way more than $50 on each. If you are patient usually you can get a steal. The most recent deal I got on gunbroker was a NIB Springfield 1911 Loaded in stainless for $590:D

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I buy locally ONLY.
    Yes, at times I have to pay more.
    I look at it this way...Where am I going to buy my ammo and accessories when all my local shops have been put out of business?
    I want it now!
    Am I going to order it?
    Do I have to support ChinaMart and other chains that continue to put our locals out of business and work?
    I don't have to be loyal to the area I live in. I can send all my $$$ overseas.
    It won't be long that all of our Brick and Mortar businesses might collapse and we'll be at the mercy of the net and next we'll be at the mercy of net legislation.
    Support our local merchants while we can.
    I'm hands on when it comes to buying. I know what I'm getting. I don't have to wait for the wrong item to be shipped to me and I have to go through the hassles of sending it back and waiting waiting waiting only to find out they're out of stock and backordered AGAIN.
    Someone say "Rant"?

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Yep. If it's under 15% difference, I try to buy locally. Sometimes, having those stores to just browse in on a Saturday is worth the cost. Plus, you get to hold whatever model you are after.

Has anyone noticed that transfer fees are sharply rising? One local place charges 50$ now.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Yep. If it's under 15% difference, I try to buy locally. Sometimes, having those stores to just browse in on a Saturday is worth the cost. Plus, you get to hold whatever model you are after.

Has anyone noticed that transfer fees are sharply rising? One local place charges 50$ now.

Plainfield charges flat rate $20...and BZguns charges $10....I would never go to a dealer that charged that much

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    Plainfield charges flat rate $20...and BZguns charges $10....I would never go to a dealer that charged that much

Off topic - BZ GunZ is an incredible deal at $10! Great guy too. Do not miss it if you're doing a transfer and Bob is in resonable driving distance.

On topic - I can't say more than what's been said here. Go into your purchase educated and don't be afraid to spend a few more bucks than on-line. Just handling the actual piece you will purchase is worth $20 to me. If it's a friendly shop, the small talk and/or advice is worth the cash too.:yesway:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Not sure if we are allowed to post rants or not since I am still a newbie. If not, I apologize.

I went to the local gun store today, Checked out a what they called a used but as new Ruger p94 40 S&W. Had my Uncle with me which is retired fire arms instructor from the Boarder Patrol, He field stripped it and said it didn't even look like it had been fired!

Anyways, I got caught up in the moment and Bought it for $475 plus tax,actually its on layaway with 450 put down on it.

I come home after taking the Mrs. out on a date per say... Jump on line, and find NIB p94's for $450, 25 shipping then of course $20 transfer fee So a total of $495.

After tax I am paying $508.25 for a Used but as new one.:xmad::xmad::xmad:

Guess I will remember this situation when it is time to pick up a 2nd gun....

If prices are close...I will always buy it at the local dealer. I like to support my local folks who are trying to make a living. Now, if they are ridiculously high.......I will shop somewhere else. I tend to find the honest dealers price their stuff reasonably. With that said, we do have a couple of places in Lafayette that I don't consider so reputable.

Top Bottom