• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INDPrepper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Well, just as the title says. review on my AR15. All palmetto state armory AR, built the lower myself. I will cut to the good stuff so I can save some time.

Well, it ran really good, they both did actually. Shot about 250 rounds through both guns in about a 2.5-3 hour span. I went to Wilbur Wright with my cousin. HOWEVER, my Ar had more malfunctions than my 795, which was odd in my opinion. I was using a variety of ammo. I put 40 rounds of Wolf through it(they ran fine.) 60 rounds of American Eagle 223(ran great), 40 rounds of Federal XM193 5.56(ran great), but when I got to the American Eagle 5.56 in the 120 round bulk pack, I had 6 FTFs in about 60-70 rounds worth. I just ejected the rounds, put my gun down with the mag out and bolt open and there was a primer strike on every single one. My barrel is stamped for 5.56-223 so I can use either but im thinking about going with the 223 from american eagle, federal, and wolf steel cased. That's about it for this, toss some ideas at me as to what might be wrong.

My 795 ran fantastic. Great little shooter. Used Remington 525 bulk pack all day long. only issues I had was from stove pipes but I just racked the bolt and it was back into action. Great little gun for the 130 bucks I paid for it brand new. The remington ammo is very dirty though but I think it will work fine in my 795. I know they can be picky.

Well that's about it for the report. Just need to clean them up and make sure nothing is broken, which im sure nothing is.

Also, this was my first time shooting anything in my entire life so when I first fired that AR I was kinda nervous. It will take some getting used to but overall it's not bad. I figured it wouldn't kick as much as it did but i'm a noobie still learning.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Was your AR lubed? They are "wet" guns, don't run them dry or with little lube.
    Your bolt carrier should be "wet" enough to leave a finger print, but not soaking wet. Just not dry.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    You have two fine rifles there. Now, go out and get some instruction on how to shoot them accurately. I strongly suggest that you attend an Appleseed. Many of the ranges that sponsor Appleseeds allow both the .22 rimfire and center fire cartridges. For sure Crawfordsville does.

You can learn more about Appleseed (including the current 2014 schedule) by following this link. Project Appleseed Home

legalninja3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2013
    United States
    What are you using for lube on the bolt? Oil or grease? Also, do you think it might have been a break-in issue? I bought a PSA a few months ago and haven't had a chance to fire it yet, so I'm curious about your experience. I've seen their 9-minute Youtube video about a torture test (dirt, freeze, water, blowup, sand, etc.) and it performed well.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    On the AR: After firing all the .223 stuff, you probably burned off some Lubrication, especially if it wasn't wet enough to start with. I'd try the 5.56 you had issues with again, just put it first in the rotation and make sure your bolt is lubed correctly.

To the 795: I have three, though they all seem to run ok-ish with Remington golden bullet bulk rounds, I have found they like Federal much better. Remington's QC on the bulk, IMO, isn't great. I've seen and or experienced quite a few stuck/split cases, stove pipes, and FTF's while working and or shooting Appleseeds. I've also found empty cases and loose projectiles in boxes.
    If you can find it, I recommend the Federal Champion Blue Box. It's a little more cost than the red box, but not as expensive and CCI mini mags. It strikes a pretty good balance, I think.

INDPrepper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    On the AR: After firing all the .223 stuff, you probably burned off some Lubrication, especially if it wasn't wet enough to start with. I'd try the 5.56 you had issues with again, just put it first in the rotation and make sure your bolt is lubed correctly.

To the 795: I have three, though they all seem to run ok-ish with Remington golden bullet bulk rounds, I have found they like Federal much better. Remington's QC on the bulk, IMO, isn't great. I've seen and or experienced quite a few stuck/split cases, stove pipes, and FTF's while working and or shooting Appleseeds. I've also found empty cases and loose projectiles in boxes.
    If you can find it, I recommend the Federal Champion Blue Box. It's a little more cost than the red box, but not as expensive and CCI mini mags. It strikes a pretty good balance, I think.

I'm using Break free CLP as my lube. I also use it to clean it like some people use Ballistol for both. I shot the AR about 20-40 rounds then let it sit for a little bit and cool off and I shot the 795 in the down time. I love them both and I will try that AE 5.56 again and see what happens. Most of it ran fine, maybe the primers are hard on some. /shrug

INDPrepper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    What are you using for lube on the bolt? Oil or grease? Also, do you think it might have been a break-in issue? I bought a PSA a few months ago and haven't had a chance to fire it yet, so I'm curious about your experience. I've seen their 9-minute Youtube video about a torture test (dirt, freeze, water, blowup, sand, etc.) and it performed well.

I'm going to say it could have been. I put 140 rounds through it before I started on the 120 pack of American Eagle 5.56 that I had issues with so it was a little dirty when I started with it and maybe the firing pin was coming forward hard enough sometimes but if that was the case I would have had more FTFs. I'm not concerned with it right now since nothing is broke. I just took it down and cleaned it after i posted this thread so everything is looking fine on the inside.

INDPrepper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Anyone mind recommending good cheap brass cased ammo? I take it PMC and Wolf Gold are good to go. Trying to find some at a good price to order before my next range trip. Also, do you know if they will let you take brass home with you no matter where you find it at the Wilbur Wright range? I was thinking about asking but I didn't. I know it's getting off topic but don't feel like making a new thread just for a simple question.

Top Bottom