• ...and so much more!
  • mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    Hey Ya'll......
    Came across a Glock 23 with a steel guide rod. Any thoughts having a steel rod in replace of the stock rod from Glock?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What does it do that the factory one doesn't? Is there a problem with your current guide rod?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    People often replace the original rods of some guns, particularly that model, in hopes of obtaining better recoil control of the gun.

It doesn't help to an extent most people would like. Certainly no better than a good grip technique. I haven't heard anything bad enough to make me second guess buying one with such a rod if that's what you're asking.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Midway has factory original guide rods fo less than $10. I'd buy the gun and swap back out to a factory original if it were mine. I'm not against upgrading parts, but in the case of glocks I prefer to put upgraded factory glock parts back in it.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Personally I prefer the Glock factory unit but as esrice said there's nothing wrong with the metal rod and spring assembly. If I buy a pistol with the aftermarket rod I just replace it with stock.. It's a good idea to replace the assembly about every 3 to 5000 rounds anyway.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Hey Ya'll......
    Came across a Glock 23 with a steel guide rod. Any thoughts having a steel rod in replace of the stock rod from Glock?

I had one in a previous G30 I had .

I think it was a waste of money because I didn't notice any change in the recoil or the way I shot .

There is however a torture test on youtube that has a guy firing 1,000 rounds in one sitting and at about the 700 some odd round mark the factory rod comes flying out of the front.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I use the factory plastic. They are cheap to replace, and if something would happen were it to seize up...the plastic can be broken to detail strip...a bit harder with something metal in there :)

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I had a metal guide rod fail on me once and I would never buy one again, I shot thousands of rounds with the factory one and never had a problem. Nothing wrong with customizing a gun but not my carry or home defense.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Hey Ya'll......

Replace it wih the proper factory guide rod if you buy it. The only functioning issue I've had with any Glock I've owned was caused by a stainless steel guide rod and it was a fail to chamber in a Glock 17. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Top Bottom