Against Gun Control - Opened someone's eyes.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thecolter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    Indiana
    Yesterday I was given a bit of hope in this whole mess. A friend from high school, who, by her own admission is a die-hard liberal and has sided with more gun control contacted me. She started off with "about this whole gun control thing...". I was honestly expecting the worst, but it went far differently. She wanted me to know that after this event, it opened her eyes to see the fact that guns are not the problem and that this mad-man would have simply used something else to carry out his sick act. She realizes that the issue is far beyond guns, or weapons of any type. She said she believe her fellow liberals are going about this completely wrong, and that it disgusts her how they are going about it.

Do you know what swayed her mind other than simple common sense, as she stated? By reading what I had posted on facebook concerning gun laws and individual rights recently, her eyes opened. The tasteful, well thought out way that many in our community have addressed this issue (Kyle Defoor for one) has brought a new sense of respect to responsible gun owners as she now sees who we are. She didn’t know the facts, as so many do not, until these posts caused her to look into it and set her emotions aside, she saw where we were coming from. As she told me; while not wanting to own a forearm herself, she ‘sides’ with us now and will help spread that message. She’s a teacher, she knows the value of an education, and this issue is no different.

My point is that we need to engage in meaningful, respectful discussion aimed at educating those who honestly have no clue. Simply state the facts, and answer questions and comments with tact and maturity no matter how much you want to ‘go off on someone’. Being irate and projecting that attitude will not help.

Above all, we need to unite in this effort. There are far too many that are ready to simply concede defeat. This doesn’t have to be. To bring up an old line, ‘We are only as strong as our weakest link.’ This is totally true. Do not fold, get out and educate those out there. There is nothing but mis-information out there, and we have to do our parts to correct that. Name calling and berating the ‘other side’ is not going to help our cause. Well thought out, respectful action will.

Just a few of the things I've posted recently:

Kyle Defoor's comments:
    Defoor Proformance | The Good Wolf

YouTube video on 'Guns do not kill people':
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOKP2n585aQ[/ame]

Military Arms Channel's Statement:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151145977252133

45038_473028909422139_623266470_n.jpg

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i think it's funny how Samuel L Jackson and Morgan Freeman can say something intelligent about gun control, but called Tea Party members racists.

thecolter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    Indiana
    i think it's funny how Samuel L Jackson and Morgan Freeman can say something intelligent about gun control, but called Tea Party members racists.

Beside the point.

This is the issue, instead of looking at the good in the statement, you find one thing and exploit it.

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    At least she didn't start out the conversation with "About that night at the bar, 3 years ago....."

I've seen the recent events sway those FOR gun control towards protecting the 2A.....as well as some very strong pro-2A people asking for a compromise....which basically is giving up and accepting defeat. Yes 20 dead children is a very hard pill to swallow, however look at how many kids are abused every day, raped, murdered in this country. Congress and anti-2A need to lay off using this as a token to push gun control and focus on the entire country.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Agreed. I have been actively engaging those with this lack of knowledge for some time. Especially since Friday and have gotten a few minds to change even recently. Proper approach and communication is all that it takes sometimes and an ability to point out facts.

Hellion_1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Putnam County
    My point is that we need to engage in meaningful, respectful discussion aimed at educating those who honestly have no clue. Simply state the facts, and answer questions and comments with tact and maturity no matter how much you want to ‘go off on someone’. Being irate and projecting that attitude will not help.

I agree 100%. Ranting and raving that the liberals are a bunch of idiots for wanting to take our weapons away will not shine a positive light on our cause at all.

However, regardless of what we think, I believe our representatives in Congress are more worried about their "political career" rather than the concerns of their constituents. Polls on this matter on different websites clearly show that the populous does not want more gun laws, but watch it happen anyway. Laws will only apply to the folks willing to abide by them. This is the fact that most politicians on the hill fail to see. They are not letting a good crisis go to waste. :twocents:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    We live in a culture in which the gov't funds the slaughter of unborn children, a culture that forcibly removes god from our schools, our public squares, and then we wonder why we as a culture fail to value human life?

The reason is pretty clear. Our kids are surrounded by this type of disregard for life....on TV, in our movies, in computer games, at school, and even in our political campaigns (one political party had it as a campaign plank). They are only responding to what they are taught.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    A few nights ago a friend on facebook posted that he was for more gun control. I asked him if he ever purchased a fire arm before. Then I posted what it takes to get a fire arm at a gun store. He responded the next day saying to the lines "thanks for the information, didn't know that". I looked later and he had deleted that post. I take that as a sign he seen the light that more gun control isn't needed.

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    We live in a culture in which the gov't funds the slaughter of unborn children, a culture that forcibly removes god from our schools, our public squares, and then we wonder why we as a culture fail to value human life?

The reason is pretty clear. Our kids are surrounded by this type of disregard for life....on TV, in our movies, in computer games, at school, and even in our political campaigns (one political party had it as a campaign plank). They are only responding to what they are taught.

Mass murders are declining in frequency. Overall violent crime is on the decline.

Our culture sucks no doubt, but that does not appear to be directly attributing to our current situation. I dislike this argument because I think that blaming video games and movies is as idiotic as blaming guns. It takes a deranged and disturbed person to take what he sees in video games and movies and apply that to life. People have been murdering since the dawn of time. We aren't so hideous a culture that we can credit ourselves for the evils of men. It takes evil men to do evil things. You can't manufacture that.

This kind of argument distracts from the immediate issue which is one of rights. Please, everyone stop trying to make it more than that. We have all the facts we need to win on that battleground. Let's win this one, then we can worry about the rest.

thecolter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    Indiana

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Mass murders are declining in frequency. Overall violent crime is on the decline.

Our culture sucks no doubt, but that does not appear to be directly attributing to our current situation. I dislike this argument because I think that blaming video games and movies is as idiotic as blaming guns. It takes a deranged and disturbed person to take what he sees in video games and movies and apply that to life. People have been murdering since the dawn of time. We aren't so hideous a culture that we can credit ourselves for the evils of men. It takes evil men to do evil things. You can't manufacture that.

This kind of argument distracts from the immediate issue which is one of rights. Please, everyone stop trying to make it more than that. We have all the facts we need to win on that battleground. Let's win this one, then we can worry about the rest.

I am not blaming either. I am simply stating that they are just a small piece of the entire puzzle. But as a society, we have done nothing to try to remove many of these pieces, or to mitigate their damage.

the message to our youth is quite clear. Life is cheap. So we shouldn't be overly surprised when they treat it as such.

Top Bottom