• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eirish2001

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm ok letting my daughters ages 13 and 9 carry their pocket knives, but my wife is afraid they would get in trouble if the police see them carrying them. Is there an age restriction?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If it's a pocket knife how are the cops going to see it? X-Ray vision? If they're using it, it's still none of a cops business, unless they're cutting someones throat or stabbing them. I've never heard of age restrictions on knives. Doesn't mean officer friendly wouldn't make something up on the spot to get an arrest, tho. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

eirish2001

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If it's a pocket knife how are the cops going to see it? X-Ray vision? If they're using it, it's still none of a cops business, unless they're cutting someones throat or stabbing them. I've never heard of age restrictions on knives. Doesn't mean officer friendly wouldn't make something up on the spot to get an arrest, tho. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm not worried about it, just trying to assure my wife it's ok. We have a creek behind the house and the kids use their knives to cut branches to make little hideouts or whittle. They can be seen from the road.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    As far as the Indiana I.C. code gos, there is no age restriction. I have carried a folding knife on my person as long as I was old enough to operate one. Some vendors require that a person is 18 or older to purchase, but I believe that is to relieve them of liability. I say if you feel your children are mature enough to handle a knife, then that is your right to allow them to do so.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I remember buying knives before I was 10 and I carried them expect to school (they had a rule in elementary and middle).

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    How the world has changed ! We carried Buck 110s in holsters to High School...My son has carried a pocketknife since he was a little guy,and once in a while sits in school really afraid of being expelled because he forgot and has one in his pocket.As far as I know,a blade less than 4 inches is not interpreted as a weapon....Still in this day and time,being caught with a knife at school could cause a child real problems....

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Yep things sure has changed since way back when. When I went to school every guy carried a knife and nothing was wrong with that. It was the norm back then. But they were not going around threatening people wtht them either. The boys acted like they had some sense back then and also knew if they got in trouble at school it also meant being in trouble at home too. Lots of boys now do not have knives nor are they even allowed to be around them.
    I think it is great that the OP is educating and exposing his kids to knives.
    Good for you. :yesway:

Last edited:

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Nope, no knife age restrictions here in Indiana, same goes with blade length. No restrictions there either. If you wanted to you could walk through Wal-Mart with a broadsword on your hip and be legal.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Yep things sure has changed since way back when. When I went to school every guy carried a knife and nothing was wrong with that. It was the norm back then. But they were not going around threatening people wtht them either. The boys acted like they had some sense back then and also knew if they got in trouble at school it also meant being in trouble at home too. Lots of boys now do not have knives nor are they even allowed to be around them.
    I think it is great that the OP is educating and exposing his kids to knives.
    Good for you. :yesway:

Being in trouble at HOME....That was what worried me....My dad was a wonderfully kind man,but he did not like to repeat himself to us,he also DEMANDED that we behave in a manner that did not bring shame to him....

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I think I'll have my 5 yr old lil girl stand on the sidewalk and wave around a shortsword tonight.

Top Bottom