• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The struggle is real! I have had pretty good luck with these SSP shooting glasses. They come with two lenses for both right and left eye. I use the top focal lens for my dominate eye and the no magnification lens for my non-dominate eye. They work pretty well.

https://sspeyewear.com/products/top-focal-assorted-interchangeable-kits

I have a pair of these. They didn't work. I had to keep searching for just the right head tilt to see through the reader part and down the sights. Some people have a box full of holsters that don't work for them. I have shooting glasses.:)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'll try this - already have a couple of cheap readers. Little concerned about not having protection over one eye though. Thanks

Maybe get some of those plastic safety glasses at Lowes that allow you to slip them over your prescription glasses. I'm not sure how their specs compare for safety rating bug they allow folks to wear them in the plant.

augdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Sheridan
    Two years ago I had cataract surgey. I had a opt for a lense that would enable to see close and far . No need for glasses. I chose the lense which is great. Cons at night I see A halo around lights.Also maybe between 8 and 14 inches can be A little blurry. Not all patients have this. Plus A added cost Medicare does not pay!

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I am farsighted and getting worst everyday. My shooting glasses have bifocals on the bottom of the lens. This allows me to clearly see what I am doing when it comes to loading or inspecting my pistols.

I bought some stick on bifocals (made by Hydrotac) and attached one to the top of my right lens. This allows me to clearly see my front sight with my right eye and clearly see the target with my left eye. The best part is that my little brain can sort all of this out without having to move my head all over trying to find the right magnification to see whatever I am trying to focus on.

Once I got use to this configuration, it's almost like I was 40 yrs old again:):

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Google NRA articles on prescription shooting glasses and their is a wealth of information on eyeglasses for shooters. I found a woman optician who was a NRA life member and helped shooters all the time with custom lenses. Each person is different and you have to search around for a gun friendly optician.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    For all you old farts...

SEARCHED FOR AND READ THOUGH A FEW THREADS ABOUT THIS TOPIC, BUT WOULD LIKE TO REVISIT TO SEE IF ANY NEW TECHNOLOGY OR SUGGESTIONS ARE AROUND.
    WHEN I'M SHOOTING A PISTOL NOW, I AM HAVING MORE DIFFICULTY LINING UP THE SIGHTS WITH THE TARGET. NORMALLY, I ONLY USE GLASSES FOR READING. I DO USE SAFETY GLASSES FOR SHOOTING, AND HAVE TRIED BOTH A VERSION WITHOUT ANY MAGNIFICATION AND SOME PRESCRIPTION BIFOCALS. HERE IS WHAT HAPPENS. IF I LOOK THROUGH THE LOWER PART OF THE BIFOCALS I CAN SEE THE GUN SIGHTS VERY WELL, BUT THE TARGET IS EXTREMELY FUZZY. IF I LOOK THROUGH THE UPPER PART OF THE BIFOCALS, THE TARGET IS CLEAR, BUT I SEE MULTIPLE IMAGES OF THE GUN SIGHTS. THIS IS REALLY APPARENT WHEN I USE MY S&W SW22 VICTORY WITH FIBER OPTIC SIGHTS. INSTEAD OF BEING ABLE TO LINE UP THE THREE DOTS, I MAY SEE SIX OR NINE DOTS. ANY AND ALL SUGGESTIONS WELCOME... AND THANKS.

DAVE

LOL;) now that's the kind of humor I can appreciate!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I had the same problem. Every time I i had new glasses made.
    They made the reading lens to small at the bottom.
    Even when I preached to them what I wanted.
    They made it their way.
    Finally
    I took a toy gun in with me.
    I told them this is what I need. You make it my way.
    I am paying for it.
    They measured it just like I wanted.
    When I went to pick it up.
    A note in the envelop stated the measurements were incorrect and adjusted.
    I demanded and receive my money back.
    Now I went to "Eye Express and Shelldons??" in S. Bend.
    They made them exactly how I wanted and at NO additional cost.
    About $100.00 and you receive 2 pairs. I also got the coated and pollerized.
    Another shooter had to have the lens power reversed. the reading lens is on top.
    I do not know that much about them. he does not shoot anymore . Other problems.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I had the same problem. Every time I i had new glasses made.
    They made the reading lens to small at the bottom.
    Even when I preached to them what I wanted.
    They made it their way.
    Finally
    I took a toy gun in with me.
    I told them this is what I need. You make it my way.
    I am paying for it.
    They measured it just like I wanted.
    When I went to pick it up.
    A note in the envelop stated the measurements were incorrect and adjusted.
    I demanded and receive my money back.
    Now I went to "Eye Express and Shelldons??" in S. Bend.
    They made them exactly how I wanted and at NO additional cost.
    About $100.00 and you receive 2 pairs. I also got the coated and pollerized.
    Another shooter had to have the lens power reversed. the reading lens is on top.
    I do not know that much about them. he does not shoot anymore . Other problems.

I've heard this very same thing out there.
    It's like you have to find a Optometrist that also shoots to understand. So ridiculous. :xmad:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I've been using a Merit Optical Attachment for over thirty years to keep the front sight. rear sight and target all in focus. Everyone I have recommended it to have been very pleased with its performance.

Those look interesting. Tell us more. Is it hard to get your eyes in line to see through it? Could it replace the need for a "reader" type safety glass or would you still use the magnification if that is what you normally wear?

Would this work for action type shooting where you are moving, targets are moving and you need to acquire targets rapidly?

mike trible

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    What I bought for shooting open sights, is some safety glasses with the bifocal in the top of the lens instead of the bottom. That makes it a lot easier to just tilt your head forward to bring the sights into focus instead tilting your head backwards, target is still fuzzy. Just more comfortable. b!tch getting old.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Not to dismiss or denigrate any of the suggestions above but most of these are ok for the range. What do you do for EDC? I can see my sights fine with my Walmart readers but in an emergency, I'm probably not going to have time to slip them on and then draw my gun.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eye chart exercise for aging eyes.

Bigger girls are easier to see...

Ashley-Graham-Mother-Daughter-Swimsuits-All-Campaign.jpg

but of course no daylight between those thighs to distract the eye...

Last edited:

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Top Bottom