• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Disabling a hip joint is quite tough to do with a bullet, particularly a handgun bullet. I don't know that "shattering" is the best word.

Even if you hit it and break it, consider that you can still walk with a broken hip, depending on how "broke" broken is

. Takes a lot to break a hip usually about 2000 pounds coming down in form of a hoof will do it. And a determined person can walk on a broken hip or at least get out of the way. Unfortunately. I know this from first hand experience.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I agree with you. If I am shooting pistols to practice self defense then I shoot as if the target was human center mass. I'm not shooting at groundhog level with my pistols if practicing for self defense. If it's just plinking then yeah I'll shoot at some low targets.

For some of us, "center of mass" is closer to a crotch shot than it is for others. Just sayin'. Cause Physics.:naughty:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Disabling a hip joint is quite tough to do with a bullet, particularly a handgun bullet. I don't know that "shattering" is the best word.

Even if you hit it and break it, consider that you can still walk with a broken hip, depending on how "broke" broken is. A truly dedicated (or chemically augmented) attacker can push through, but given the amount of pain that can be caused a psychological stop is likely for your not-as-dedicated foe. Sort of the philosophy of there are no bad hits, but some hits are better than others.

Agreed, and it would not be something I'd strive for, but would take... hopefully with a few more vital hits along with it.

Frost49

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Tim Buk 2
    I was in a roll over car wreck in high school. 2 of the passengers both broke their pelvis in 3 places in the crash. Both crawled out of the car and were walking around until EMS arrived. Adrenaline does crazy things, so I would assume someone all meth'd out or whatever would be in the same shape after shooting them in that area.

Top Bottom