• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    After a great deal of deliberation and research I have decided to go with an Aimpoint red dot for my 10.5" AR pistol build. I am looking at the T1, H1, and T2. Here is a list of questions I have for the INGO community:

1) Which model did you buy and why? (how did you decide between these 3 options)

2) If you own one of these models, where did you get it and what did you pay? I am looking for the best price possible but am not of the mind to go with something lesser than what I want and then upgrade later. "buy once, cry once" has always been my motto.

3) I know nothing about the different mounts available and the advantages to one over the other. I am running MBUIS flip ups (in case that has an effect on which mount I need for co-witnessing)

Links to a good deal are greatly appreciated as well as any other advice or information you think I should be aware of before making a purchase.

View attachment 35746

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    If you don't foresee night vision in your future, save some bucks and get the H1 with a 2 MOA dot. I usually order them direct from Larue, because it comes out cheaper since the first thing I usually do is buy their mount.
    Aimpoint Micro H-1 2MOA/M4 Mount Combo | LaRue Tactical
    IMO, nothing else comes close in the world of QD mounts, but everyone is going to tell you something different. Whatever you do though, buy a lower 1/3 mount. It will still cowitness with your irons when you look through them, but you get the added benefit of it sitting over them.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I agree with tradertator's comments, but looking at slickguns.com, it appears Botach Tactical has a pretty good price point on the sight and mounts (if anything over $500 can be considered a "good deal" for a red dot sight). I haven't used a red dot on a pistol but the H-1 is a great carbine sight.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    While I agree about the H1/T1 comment, Based on your OP, is an extra 50 bucks that big of a deal. Even if you dont plan on NV now, in a year that might change and you may wish you spent an extra few bucks. I have 2 T1's and I never looked back.

I would go for a larue mount (and I would just buy the red dot from from them). I go back and forth on mount size. I like the absolute cowitness, because everything lines up and I am a little ocd, but I also like the lower 1/3 co witness as you have the option to put stuff on the top tail in front of it without effecting your sight picture too much (ie dbal lasers, or flashlights (if you are like larry vickers)).

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    If the difference in price between the H1 and T1 is 50 bucks I would go with the T1 without a doubt. I do not forsee the need to use nightvision but to me...for 50 bucks it is worth knowing I have the ability to do so if the need arises. If the price difference is more than 50 bucks then I might have to think about it more. I also read somewhere that the T1 has a much more extensive warranty that the H1 even though the parts are identical other than the coating on the glass of the T1 which makes it NV compatible.

Someone posted a T1 for sale on here for 400 bucks w/ a mount.... wish I would have been able to snag that!

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I would (and did) go for the T-1 for night vision compatibility. When I got a PVS-14 I quickly discovered that mounting it on an AR was less than optimal for most situations. I eneded up with an IR Freakin Lazer and a helmet to mount the PVS-14 on.

I would still advise you to get the T-1, but be aware that, IMO, it's only useful to mount an NVD on a rifle if you're in a static position.

Earl Sinclair

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Justin 727,

This is not a criticism of your or anyone else's choice - you asked for our reasons, and the following are mine. Your mileage may vary.

I have a 4 moa H-1 on a Larue mount, purchased as a package from Larue as mentioned by tradertator. I chose it over the T-1 because I have no plans to ever use night vision, and have yet to swim with a firearm, let alone scuba dive. The T-2 didn't exist then, so it wasn't among my options (I still would've taken the H-1). The nice thing about the LaRue mount is if something goes wrong in a crisis (malfunction, fog, ice, etc.) I can flip the lever and dump the Aimpoint almost instantly and have an unobstructed view of the iron sights. Once the problem is corrected, it can go right back on with no change in point of impact. Price for the package from LaRue was about $600, and I've never regretted the purchase. I like the larger dot because bigger dots are easier for me to find, especially as my eyes age. I also don't shoot past about 100-125 yards. My H-1 is mounted on an M-1 Carbine, so any sort of co-witness isn't an option. For those who can, co-witnessing is a personal preference issue - you'll see more through the Aimpoint with a lower 1/3 co-witness, but some people find having two sight lines visually confusing and therefore slow. There is also the matter of two slightly different cheek weld positions to be dealt with, but you won't have that problem with a pistol.

A point of caution - I've never fired an AR pistol, but I have had a handgun with a reflex-style red dot, and occasionally had trouble finding the dot. One of those SIG arm brace things looks like it would help a lot, but now the money is really starting to pile up.

All that being said, you really can't make a bad decision choosing between the three Aimpoint sights. Even if you find you don't like it on the pistol, I'm sure you can find it a good home on another firearm!

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    I have an H1 with 2 MOA dot and a Larue qd mount that gives me absolute co-witness with flip-up BUIS. It weighs about 6 oz. Bought it from Larue, no regrets whatsoever. Night vision sounds cool, but you'll only use it in your dreams. Maybe I would like the lower 1/3 co-witness if I had fixed BUIS, but who wants fixed BUIS?

bob_dolemite

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    I got an Aimpoint Pro when it came out in 2011-ish. Had everything I wanted, like 2 MOA, a useable mount, caps, NV. It was basically a Comp M2 or M3 (can't remember now) for less than $400.

At last year's NRA show I got a T1 for no other reason than I felt like buying something. It's mounted on an ADM which I had gotten for the PRO. It's okay I guess and I have no reason to change it but were I doing it again, I'd get a Bobro micro in a heartbeat.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I have or have had the t1 as well as the h1. I prefer the h1 and here's why... As mentioned before, it is next to impossible to pick up the dot while wearing nvgs... Night vision capable optics were created by chiropractors. If NV is your game, get an ir laser. Essentially the t1 (and really any other NV capable optic) is worthless unless you're using a NV monocular mounted to the rail. In the daytime you have to twist the dial farther to be able to see anything. I think you first start to pick up the dot at setting 57. I'm very lazy therefore I like to save as much effort as possible. The only other feature the t1 has over the h1 is that you can go underwater... Deeper.

So if you want to have sore wrists, have a NV capable red dot that you can't see at night without growing an extra elbow out of your neck, and want to take your rifle scuba diving past the no decompression limits.... Then get a t1.

if you want to be able to turn on your optic instantly, not pay as much, and be able to drop it in a pool and still have the optic work... H1.

if you want to wear nvgs and be able to acquire targets without adult onset scoliosis, get a dbal or peq laser.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I dont like the large white lettering on the h1.... Im not going to lie, I think thats what swayed my choice to the t1 more than anything when I was having the same conversation.

In reality any of these will serve you well. I think the PRO is an awesome deal for the money.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I've got a T1, Comp M4, & Pro. They are all fantastic and I prefer them all over my Eotech(better battery life). Keep an eye out on sites like M4Carbine.net since the T2 came out every cool kid wants and are dropping their H1/T1s at a discount. I actually prefer ADM mounts over LaRue(sorry guys). I find them easier to adjust if need be and are just as rock-solid when it comes to remounting them and returning to zero. YMMV

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    I have an H1 with 2 MOA dot and a Larue qd mount that gives me absolute co-witness with flip-up BUIS. It weighs about 6 oz. Bought it from Larue, no regrets whatsoever. Night vision sounds cool, but you'll only use it in your dreams. Maybe I would like the lower 1/3 co-witness if I had fixed BUIS, but who wants fixed BUIS?
    ^^^^this. Absolute co-witness for flip up BUIS. Maintain same cheek weld. 1/3 if fixed sights. I ordered the H1 + QD mount from LaRue and have never looked back either. Good luck!

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    Thanks for the replies so far! You guys are saving me from making costly mistakes. I will likely go with the H1 based off what I am reading here. The cowitness business is good to know. I have Magpul flip up MBUIS so it sounds like I need to go with "absolute co-witness"

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Add my cowitness vote to the lower 1/3 category, though I would lean towards a LaRue at any height over any other mount except (maybe) a Bobro.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    It was used as in it was purchased, removed from the box, and put on the rifle. There is a tiny pin that runs through the fulcrum of the lever if you apply to much pressure the pin Shears off and mount no worky. The issue I had was that at xxx tightness it was fine. Slightly tighter and it broke. I realize I broke it, but I can't break the larue mount so I just trashed it and bought that. I also find it to be better made and lighter (for the absolute co witness).

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I have or have had the t1 as well as the h1. I prefer the h1 and here's why... As mentioned before, it is next to impossible to pick up the dot while wearing nvgs... Night vision capable optics were created by chiropractors. If NV is your game, get an ir laser. Essentially the t1 (and really any other NV capable optic) is worthless unless you're using a NV monocular mounted to the rail. In the daytime you have to twist the dial farther to be able to see anything. I think you first start to pick up the dot at setting 57. I'm very lazy therefore I like to save as much effort as possible. The only other feature the t1 has over the h1 is that you can go underwater... Deeper.

So if you want to have sore wrists, have a NV capable red dot that you can't see at night without growing an extra elbow out of your neck, and want to take your rifle scuba diving past the no decompression limits.... Then get a t1.

if you want to be able to turn on your optic instantly, not pay as much, and be able to drop it in a pool and still have the optic work... H1.

if you want to wear nvgs and be able to acquire targets without adult onset scoliosis, get a dbal or peq laser.

This has been my experience as well. For the life of me, I could barely pick up my old T1 with a PVS-14 mounted to my head. Probably the easiest optic to do it with was my Eotech EXPS3, but it was far from ideal too. As you said, you best off either mounting the monocular behind the optic on the rifle (T1 would still not be my choice optic for such) or pony up the cash for an IR laser device.

Top Bottom