• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I just ordered what I considered to be my ideal upper build in one sweeping action. AIM 16" CHF .223/5.56 Alpha 13" Upper Receiver

It has not only the same general qualifications but my ideal manufacturers of those ideals.:rockwoot: I jumped on it right away and placed my order.

At the end of the order (after I confirmed it and gave all my cc info) it asked for my FFL in much the same way it usually asks for, or confirms that it still has on file, my drivers license. I navigated away from that page to look into what might be the holdup. The ad for the upper doesn't say that a FFl is required from a company policy standpoint, I'm pretty sure the law doesn't consider an upper a gun in and of itself, and when I went back it looks like the order is in process as if it wasn't ever on hold??? I checked my email and I got the automatically generated email saying "thank you for your order" and it didn't indicate any issue. Anyone else ever come across this? If the FFl isn't needed why ask for it? It isn't annoying but really pegs my curiosity meter.:dunno:

Should I expect a followup email saying it is on hold waiting for my FFl info (which I don't have.)

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    The way you tell it, the upper is the only item on the order. Is this correct?

Did the website allow you to place the order without FFL information?

I'm considering ordering an upper from AIM also, and this doesn't sound kosher. No reason to require an FFL for parts.

I just went to the website, and pretended to order it, and it listed my name & address as "Shipping address/FFL".

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Sounds like a software glitch on their end. Since the AR-15 upper is not considered the "firearm", as you know there is no need for an FFL transfer, so the only thing I can figure is that they has a software problem that cleared itself up.

Any time there was an issue with an order I've placed with Aim, I usually got a call later in the day or first thing next business day. Like the time I transposed two numbers on my credit card. (oops). Or they misplaced my data file, which after buying from them virtually since they opened, and knowing a few there, they were really embarrassed, but got everything fixed, and my stuff was on my door step faster than I could dream it happening, and we firearm owners are well known for not having any patience. :D

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    The site has a space for you to upload your FFL if you are a dealer or collector. I believe this info shows up under your order when you get to the final page. Was your drivers license scan shown there? You dont need an FFL to order from them or for your upper. I believe you mistook the spot on the order page that would show your FFL if you had one as them asking for it.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    The site has a space for you to upload your FFL if you are a dealer or collector. I believe this info shows up under your order when you get to the final page. Was your drivers license scan shown there? You don't need an FFL to order from them or for your upper. I believe you mistook the spot on the order page that would show your FFL if you had one as them asking for it.

This is spot on. It was at the order proof page that always shows that they have my license on file. I guess what threw me off is that this time they included the space to upload my FFL. I hadn't seen that before.

Thanks guys.:ingo:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Did it have a red asterisk or something indicating it was required, or is it optional? Apparently the system didn't object to you not entering something there.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    It's not required unless it's a firearm. It just shows up in the order confirmation page after you place the order. I guess it's just showing what you have on record with them. When I order, it shows the scan I uploaded of my driver's license (required for ammo) and the scan of the upload of my C&R FFL (required for buying C&R guns). It shows this whether you ordered guns, ammo or some other uncontrolled parts, like magazines.

This is also shown because at the point of the order confirmation, it allows you to upload anything that is required (DL or FFL). They tell you when you look at the item you want to buy if it requires a DL or FFL and it's up to you to have them uploaded by the end of your order. The order confirmation page just shows what you have on file with them and allows you to upload one or the other if it is required.

Top Bottom