• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    My son just got back from taking his asvab test and said he is more than qualified for the school he was wanting to get into. The school he wants is an "Space Systems Operation". He said he scored high on the test so he's also looking at a few other schools in a similar field.

Is the Space Systems Operation school/job a good field to get into? He hasn't signed yet but will soon. I'm only familiar with Navy schools so I really can't give him any advice on any other schools he may like.

Here's a link to the school.

SPACE SYSTEMS OPERATIONS - airforce.com

Lil Bob

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Crown Point, Indiian
    From what I can tell it seems it may be similar in some ways to the Navy FC rating. From what I saw it seems that it would have some transfer-ability in the civilian world.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I was enlisted before I got commissioned.

That career field has very little carry over to civilian employment. It's more like manning a console or sitting at a computer. There are very few options for where you can be stationed, with very high certainty that you will either be in Colorado Springs (good), Malmstrom AFB (MT), Minot (ND), Warren AFB (Cheyenne) or Vandenberg AFB in northern CA. That's pretty much the only places you can go. Look at the list of Air Force Space Command bases.

It is a small, closely-knit group of people. They tend to eat their own, and it can be very, very competitive. Someone might never work harder for $30k/yr.

If your son like technology and has the ASVABs for it, I'd highly recommend getting into communications/computer networking. You can get stationed almost anywhere, and the skills are far more likely to carry over to civilian life (everyone needs a network admin/IT guy). Re enlistment bonuses when I was in were as high as $60k for enlisted ranks in those fields. However, those are famously always changing, and if they aren't throwing money at you to keep you in, they are applying the hurt to try and get you out (to save money).

The best jobs in the military are the ancillary jobs-- legal, medical, etc. Getting military to pay for your x-ray tech skills or dental school or law school is a huge boon.'

If I had it to do all over again, I likely would have gone to law school and gone into being a JAG.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    My son just got back from taking his asvab test and said he is more than qualified for the school he was wanting to get into. The school he wants is an "Space Systems Operation". He said he scored high on the test so he's also looking at a few other schools in a similar field.

Is the Space Systems Operation school/job a good field to get into? He hasn't signed yet but will soon. I'm only familiar with Navy schools so I really can't give him any advice on any other schools he may like.

Here's a link to the school.

SPACE SYSTEMS OPERATIONS - airforce.com

Congrats on your boy's test results, and you're right to suggest studying his school choice thoroughly.
    You and I both know how important that can be, even though you chose to become a missile maggot once you finished 'A' school in that famous translucent green glass building.
    ;)
    btw...I have to admit that it makes me rather sad to know that my system (MK42) is no longer in use, as well as yours (MK10, correct?).

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    What are his interests? There are a lot of good jobs in the AF and it sounds like he is qualified for most of them. I'd have to agree though, that job sounds pretty boring but not as bad as missile operations.

Heres the list of possible assignments, not bad at all, all jobs have the possibility for sucky assignments but this is a pretty good list.
    Air Force Enlisted Assignment Locations - 1C6X1 - SPACE SYSTEMS OPERATIONS

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Thanks for the info and I'll pass it on to my son. He's old enough to make his own decisions and I want him to do what he wants to as well.

Olspink.. as far as I know the MK10 GMLS is no longer in service. Even though I was a GMM (very few missile maggot job out side of the military) the schooling the Navy gave me got my foot into many doors when I got out. I know work on electrical motors, transformers, & switchgear and make a good living at it. I know there isn't much of a demand to track satellites & missiles in the civilian world but sometimes the schools your sent to do help in other jobs out there.

Thanks for the replies and I'll let him read this.

By the way his current employer (Toyota TMMI) will hold his job for 5 years, and he will get any pay & seniority increases.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Hohn gives you very good advice...see if he can go the route of computer networking engineer...those skills will be 100% transferable to the civilian world.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Need some more info please..... My son just informed me that if he joins the military and comes back to work for his current employer after his 4 years of service, he will owe them around $2000 for the benefits from the company even though he won't be using any of the company benefits (health care, dental, eye). He said they won't let him opt out, even though he won't be using any of the benefits? This just doesn't sound right to me.

Anyone have experience with stuff like this?

Thanks
    Dave.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis

That career field has very little carry over to civilian employment. It's more like manning a console or sitting at a computer. There are very few options for where you can be stationed, with very high certainty that you will either be in Colorado Springs (good), Malmstrom AFB (MT), Minot (ND), Warren AFB (Cheyenne) or Vandenberg AFB in northern CA. That's pretty much the only places you can go. Look at the list of Air Force Space Command bases.

It is a small, closely-knit group of people. They tend to eat their own, and it can be very, very competitive. Someone might never work harder for $30k/yr.

If your son like technology and has the ASVABs for it, I'd highly recommend getting into communications/computer networking. You can get stationed almost anywhere, and the skills are far more likely to carry over to civilian life (everyone needs a network admin/IT guy). Re enlistment bonuses when I was in were as high as $60k for enlisted ranks in those fields. However, those are famously always changing, and if they aren't throwing money at you to keep you in, they are applying the hurt to try and get you out (to save money).

The best jobs in the military are the ancillary jobs-- legal, medical, etc. Getting military to pay for your x-ray tech skills or dental school or law school is a huge boon.'

If I had it to do all over again, I likely would have gone to law school and gone into being a JAG.

Have to agree with you. When I went through I got Computer Repairman back in 71 and it ended up making my career out of the military. Of course that was before equipment became throwaway but now I develop software.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Need some more info please..... My son just informed me that if he joins the military and comes back to work for his current employer after his 4 years of service, he will owe them around $2000 for the benefits from the company even though he won't be using any of the company benefits (health care, dental, eye). He said they won't let him opt out, even though he won't be using any of the benefits? This just doesn't sound right to me.

Anyone have experience with stuff like this?

Thanks
    Dave.

Don't know anything about it but if the job is good enough, 2K is not much.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    sounds like a sweet deal. 2K for 4 years of knowing that you have a job you like( I am assuming) if the military isn't your thing? Who else gets a guarantee like that?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    He might look at RF Transmission. That is what my son does and he loves it. You can get stationed virtually anywhere in the world and it can lead to other missions within the AF. Not sure how transferable it is but my son is planning on staying in for 20 or so years. At least right now he is.:)

As far the as the question on his current job, I don't understand. If I was working for someone and left to serve my country, I would not plan on paying them anything. My son took a military leave of absence from his job and can come back anytime and won't owe them a dime. If they want your son back, they should be glad to let him go now, become a better person serving and return as a better employee.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Looking at 1C6 (pronounced: One Charlie Six) and a decision about $2K to come back. The $2K strikes me as strange, but I know the "come back after 4 in the military with your seniority" thing was around in 86 when I went active duty. If he enlists for 6 it won't matter.

1C6 is a small career field with limited bases due to the mission. Big Blue doesn't send you to a (for example) fighter base if you work on ICBMs. There are a lot of opportunities for special duty jobs (instructor, recruiter, etc.) that can get you to a lot of other places.

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    I worked on autopilot & instrumentation on a bomber. When I got out, I applied locally from St Louis to Louisville & north & south. Had absolutely no luck cause I needed a airframe & power plant license. That never came out when I was making my choice. I knew I wanted to be around aircraft but I think I would have wanted to actually fly instead. Sometimes the recruiter will guide you where they need someone. In today's world I truly applaud what your son is doing. I have no idea how Lackland AFB will be at this time of year. I went in in July. Texas can be quite warm then! I have never heard of an employer charging for an employee's benefits pkg during a leave of absence. What happens if the employee goes on maternity leave? Though that is more short term.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Thanks....

My son has pretty much decided to do the Space Systems Operations, he's in his younger 20's and I gota let him make his own decisions. One good thing about it is that it looks like all of his duty stations are here in the USA.

I did find a link about military leave, but it doesn't list the law code. Military Leave Laws for Employees | BizFilings Toolkit

For some reason they think they still have to provide him with heath care & stuff? Must be some BS law in Obummer care. I'm sure they are reading it wrong.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013

Very well said, and as i found out myself, theres not alot of jobs outside with certain mos's. My son took his first Practice ASVAB's about a month ago, he also scored killer numbers and the last 2 weeks the recruiters are hounding him more than ever. He wants to become a Marine with his hair on fire. OORAH...
    But I'm pushing for a mos that's worthwhile in the job market when hes done.
    I'm pushing for a Engineering Degree and he's pushing for Force Recon and maybe Marsoc.. And a Engineering degree after... It's a struggle for sure..

Good Luck with your son. May he make a great choice.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Thanks....

My son has pretty much decided to do the Space Systems Operations, he's in his younger 20's and I gota let him make his own decisions. One good thing about it is that it looks like all of his duty stations are here in the USA.

I did find a link about military leave, but it doesn't list the law code. Military Leave Laws for Employees | BizFilings Toolkit

For some reason they think they still have to provide him with heath care & stuff? Must be some BS law in Obummer care. I'm sure they are reading it wrong.

When I was in during and after Vietnam, there were only two duty stations I could go to and I never went TDY, ever. I was in 8 years. The joy of being a Cold Warrior.

varkman

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2015
    Jeffersonville
    My son in law is in Space systems operations, there are many companies that hire directly from the AF for a lot of money. Most jobs are either in California, or Colorado.

Top Bottom