• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    What is the life expectancy of a pellet rifle? I've heard people voice concern over spring life and ruined or dry rotted seals. It just seems to me that for the price of a quality spring air rifle you could have a bolt action .22 that would last several lifetimes. The pellet rifle does edge out the .22 in ammo price and storage space. You could fit 5000 or more pellets in the space of a single brick of .22. Those things would make stockpiling for the zombocalypse easier.

I got my RWS Model 27 in 1988, and I have put a LOT of pellets through it with no problems. Granted, its a quality rifle, so I would expect it to last a long time. Only problem I had was one I created, and that was knocking the rear sight off. It was fixed easily enough.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I used to pick my mom's tulips off at the stem from 40 feet away. We used to see who could shoot the most dragonflies out of the air, too.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I have a .20 cal Sheridan ten pumps and it will put a .20 cal pellet right thru a ground hogs head at 10 yards, It will punch holes clean thru sheet metal on a car, (dont ask how I know that) :whistle: It would make a great gun for small game. :thumbsup:

Blue River Guns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the great posts you have placed here and the videos! AWESOME! Based on the comments/video I plan on making more of the gamo and crossman air rifles available for purchase!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the great posts you have placed here and the videos! AWESOME! Based on the comments/video I plan on making more of the gamo and crossman air rifles available for purchase!

Do you have a website for your biz?
    The springer has done well for me but the PCP guns really have my interest.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Anybody incorporating air rifles into their survival equipment for small game? I see these as a great low cost silent way to hunt when things go south!

thanks,
    Paul

I don't know about serving as a purely "survival" equipment but I've got a couple and thousands of pellets.

They are NOT silent.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    At the 1500 I purchased a book on airgun hunting from the UK:

Pete Wadeson's Total Airguns:

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Total-Airguns-Complete-Hunting-Rifles/dp/1904057381]Total Airguns: The Complete Guide to Hunting with Air Rifles: Peter Wadeson: Amazon.co.uk: Books[/ame]

Recommended for anyone interested in using airguns for hunting.

Another plus, he spells words like "colour" and "favourite" correctly.:D

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I shoot my RWS 48 .25 cal. and RWS 350 Magnum .22 cal all the time. I have woods to the back of my property and can shoot those or shotgun. Anything else might travel too far. As far as accuracy I can put three pellets in the size of a nickle at 30 yards. But weighing 9 plus pounds you wouldn't want to carry them around. I would rather carry my 150lb. crossbow . As far as silent....nope they are pretty loud.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Just had another thought on the subject. I wouldn't want to leave without a couple .22's. They would be on the top of my list. If you shoot CB cap longs...they are pretty quiet out of a rifle. But taking small game can be done with .22 Super Colibri's made by Aguila, 20grain bullet going about 500f.p.s.
    I shoot those quite a bit, about as silent as you can get. They say for pistol only but I have never had a problem shooting them out of my rifles. They use only the primer to shoot. Try them sometime.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I have a couple air rifles. One looks like an old Winchester 1894 and the other is a Pumpmaster 760 pellet/bb rifle. The older air rifle has little use except making the kids ooo and aaaaa, but the pumpmaster can pick small game off like a champ. It's not exactly quiet, but more quiet than a .22 rifle. I keep both with a stock of BBs and Pellets in my trunk. If someone steals them I'm out $40. But if SHTF I've got a couple deadly hunting tools.

RA8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Carmel
    Absolutely. My Gammo Shadow 1000 has taken out 100s of pests including a fair amount of squirrels and bunnies. I'll be adding another air rifle in .22 caliber to the mix down the road.

They can't be beat for inexpensive quiet target practice to hone your rifle skills or keep them sharp.

.22 air rfle? ive never heard of em. tell me more

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I have a Rws .22 cal and a Rws .25 caliber. If you want to get the big stuff you can buy a 9mm, .45, and a 50 cal air rifle....awsome stuff, but you better carry a scuba tank to refill them.
    I have a benjamin Discovery .22 cal Pre charged air rifle that can be bought with a pump, that looks like a heavy bicycle pump that can pump up to 3,500 psi. but all that is needed in my gun is 2,000 psi for about 30 good shots. about 860 fps.
    If anyone wants to know more go to Pyramid air.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom