• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I've done some cursory searching and not come up with anything that seemed very helpful. If, perhaps, I'm blind by all means make some search term suggestions and I'll do some more research on my own.

Beyond that...

In October I'm going to be going to Houston, Texas for a conference and then Denver, Colorado. I've already looked up the laws for the states as far as what I can and cannot do, etc and am pretty comfortable with that.

The only issue for me is that I am going to be flying from Indianapolis to Houston, from Houston to Denver, and then Denver to Indianapolis. These are all non-stop flights.

I believe I need to have the weapon unloaded and in a lockable case and I need to submit it for the TSA to inspect/lock/etc but I honestly haven't been on a plane in about 15 years and really have no idea what to expect.

I'm mostly looking for the, "Been there, done that," type of advice. I.e. anything I can make sure to do or to make sure not to do to make the whole process simpler/easier/faster/etc.

Again, sorry if this has been covered [as I am sure it has been] in the past, but I simply couldn't find anything very useful in my searching. it is 1 AM and I have been sick for the last few days so my search-fu is weak.

Thanks guys [and any gals that may respond].

JdsBiff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Muncie
    When you check in at the airline counter simply say that you have an item to declare. They will ask what it is, inform them it is a firearm. They will have a form to fill out. In Indianapolis they give you a ticket and tell you to ask for a supervisor after you go through security and that is when they check the bag. Do not use the TSA approved locks on your gun case, use a master lock, by federal law you are supposed to be the only one with a key to your firearm. Do not give up the key to anyone if the case is not within your sight. The only other airport that I have taken a firearm through was in Anchorage and they had me take my suit case to an inspector who made sure it was secure and then closed it up before sending it to baggage handling.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    TSA: Traveling with Special Items

Also check the airline's website, they ALL have a firearms policy and they ALL have their firearms policy online.

Based on the city pairs that you mentioned, it appears that you are traveling on either Southwest, or United.

http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/special-luggage-pol.html

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/sports.aspx?Mobile=1

It looks like you are not going through any "hostile" areas. The NRA says they don't recommend going through New Jersey or New York (with a firearm) for the time being because of what has happened at those airports.

Last edited:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Yeah, united. The only one that could get me non-stop the whole way.

I did check United's site as well as the tsa before posting and I apologize for not saying that. Been terribly sick for days and a bit 'out of it'.

I think I'm good to go, was more concerned with any nuances I should be aware of that wouldn't be listed in the official 'directions' that would be learned from experience :-).

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Here is my understanding of how it is supposed to work.

You bring your firearm unloaded and locked in a case that only you have a key, or combination to. This case may be placed inside of checked baggage, or may be checked baggage itself (think long gun). Take this to the ticket agent (outside of security) and tell them that you have a firearm to declare. They should be familiar with this as you are not the only one who travels with one. The ticket agent will call over an "authorized" individual to inspect the gun and make sure it is unloaded (usually airport police). From there the ticket agent will put a sticker on the gun case indicating that it has been inspected and will accept your bag as a checked bag.

The easiest way to travel with ammo is to keep it in its original packaging. There is no law about how much ammo you may bring, however, it is a pretty standard policy among the airlines to only allow 11 lbs.

Last edited:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I'm only going to be bringing enough ammo to fill my two magazines I am taking with me.

I appreciate all of the advice. I'll make sure to update this thread with details of my experience when I get back.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I just went through this, and it was extremely painless. Flew with Delta, to Miami with a layover in Atlanta. Went to the baggage check, told the gal I needed to check a firearm with my luggage, filled out a short form, placed the card she gave me next to the case in my bag, and handed her the bag. On my flight back to Indy out of Miami, we had a layover in Cincinnati, then Detroit (last minute change in flight due to hurricane Isaac). Same process as Indy, with no troubles at all. One nice thing about flying with a firearm is they are probably less likely to loose your bag. Just remember to have your firearm in a hard, locked, and sturdy case. I had a Ruger SP101 in the factory Ruger case with an old Ruger branded lock I have. Also, store the ammo seperate from the firearm, in a box that seperates the rounds. The factory box is fine as long as its not simply a box with the rounds dumped in it. Good luck, and have fun on the trip.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    I just went through this, and it was extremely painless. Flew with Delta, to Miami with a layover in Atlanta. Went to the baggage check, told the gal I needed to check a firearm with my luggage, filled out a short form, placed the card she gave me next to the case in my bag, and handed her the bag. On my flight back to Indy out of Miami, we had a layover in Cincinnati, then Detroit (last minute change in flight due to hurricane Isaac). Same process as Indy, with no troubles at all. One nice thing about flying with a firearm is they are probably less likely to loose your bag. Just remember to have your firearm in a hard, locked, and sturdy case. I had a Ruger SP101 in the factory Ruger case with an old Ruger branded lock I have. Also, store the ammo seperate from the firearm, in a box that seperates the rounds. The factory box is fine as long as its not simply a box with the rounds dumped in it. Good luck, and have fun on the trip.

Did anyone have to inspect the firearm to make sure it was unloaded?

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    TSA: Traveling with Special Items

Also check the airline's website, they ALL have a firearms policy and they ALL have their firearms policy online.

Based on the city pairs that you mentioned, it appears that you are traveling on either Southwest, or United.

Special Luggage

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/sports.aspx?Mobile=1

It looks like you are not going through any "hostile" areas. The NRA says they don't recommend going through New Jersey or New York (with a firearm) for the time being because of what has happened at those airports.

This!

Also, make a copy of the particular airline's firearm policy and have it with you at check in. We (my wife and I) have experienced airline staff that either do not know their policies or make up their own on on the fly.

For example, my wife, traveling to Colorado, was told the ammunition had to be in the original factory boxes--hard to do with reloads--and was being refused. She presented the printed airline policy that said the ammunition had to be in boxes (not necessarily original factory boxes.) Then, the bonehead's supervisor took over, and everything was fine. He even complimneted her on her Glock.

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    Yeah, united. The only one that could get me non-stop the whole way.

I did check United's site as well as the tsa before posting and I apologize for not saying that. Been terribly sick for days and a bit 'out of it'.

I think I'm good to go, was more concerned with any nuances I should be aware of that wouldn't be listed in the official 'directions' that would be learned from experience :-).

I've flown with a firearm more than once to/from Denver (used to live there), and if I can offer a piece of advice:

Know the rules/laws, and when the TSA dude or gal begins running down the list of questions, have all the answers ready.

For example, I was in line, declared my rifle and pistol (coming back from a hunting trip), and the guy said "OK, well, I need to ask you a few questions, then we'll get you on your way."

I replied "The two firearms are both unloaded, the rifle has the bolt removed, the pistol has a chamber lock in place, all ammunition is in the original manufacturer's box, the case is locked twice, and I am the only person with the combination and key. Did I miss anything?"

He smiled, said "You've done this before", and waved me on my way. Bag went to the scanner, and that was that.

This shows the TSA that you've read the regs, you've put some thought into them, and you are safety oriented. That smooths things a lot.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Another suggestion and what I do.

I lock my gun case with a regular key lock and lock the suitcase with approved TSA locks and tape my cell phone number to the outside of the gun case. I have never had a problem transporting a firearm.

The problem going through places like NY is not going through but getting bumped from your flight due to weather or mechanical problems and checking your baggage out and back in. You would be better off staying at the airport and not touching your baggage.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    I'm fixin to do this for the first time in October as well. I've got a long gun case that my father-in-law has flown with. Should the locks be keyed or are combination locks acceptable?

alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yea, pretty painless. I flew from Indy to Orlando via Southwest. I just told them I had a firearm to check. They gave me a lil paper work. Filled that out. Unlocked my hardcase box and showed them it was un loaded. Locked it back up. Kept the key and they put a large orange sticker on it that said FIREARM. Kept my ammo in 1 checked bag and the gun in the other...That was it.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    They're not. But its interesting that the American Airlines site says the opposite: "Firearms will only be accepted if unloaded and in a locked, hard-sided container such as a rifle case. TSA approved locks are accepted."
    Transporting Firearms And Ammunition

TSA locks are accepted, but I personally would not advise it unless you trust TSA implicitly.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    A tip that I have heard, but never tried.

Lock your gun INTO your checked luggage; as in, use your checked luggage as your "locking gun case."

If you declare THAT as your firearm container, then TSA can't open your luggage without you present. The luggage has to meet all the requirements of a "locking gun case," but it's a little technicality that legally secures all of your checked luggage from tampering or illicit inspection without your presence.

Fly safe. :)

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    A tip that I have heard, but never tried.

Lock your gun INTO your checked luggage; as in, use your checked luggage as your "locking gun case."

If you declare THAT as your firearm container, then TSA can't open your luggage without you present. The luggage has to meet all the requirements of a "locking gun case," but it's a little technicality that legally secures all of your checked luggage from tampering or illicit inspection without your presence.

Fly safe. :)

I could NOT recommend this.

I would find it hard to believe that they would allow this. Also, if you use your baggage as the gun case, you may have a hunter orange sticker that reads FIREARM on it. I for one would not want to draw that attention to my bag unless I wanted it to get "lost."

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I've got a small perfectly sized yellow pelican case that I'm going to be using. My understanding is that the ammo can be in the locked case - so long as the gun/magazines aren't actually loaded.

Thoughts? (I'll re-read the TSA guidelines and United Rules shortly, too tired at the moment).

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Yeah that should be fine. I would print out the TSA and United website that has the guidelines just in case there is any question.

Top Bottom