Airline lost my luggage...that had two pistols in the bag....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kwood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    lizton/brownsburg
    UPDATE: They called us today with our luggage. Somewhere between my wife's travel from Indy to Orlando (layover before coming to richmond VA) the tags got ripped off. So they got them to us based on my wife's description of the bag. Everything accounted for and not tampered with one bit. Thanks for all the help guys!

Title says it all.
    I am in Fort Lee VA currently and my wife flew in from Indy to drive back home with me after my BOLC graduation.
    She brought our carry pistols for the trip.
    She had a layover in Orlando, and her luggage didnt make it to the final destination.
    Southwest filed an incident report form, and told us to call them tomorrow.

Has anyone had an issue like this in the past?
    any helpful tips/hints would be welcome.
    Thanks!

kwood

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Really hope it works out for you. My guess is that even though the pistols were declared, there was probably some "special" handling involved that may have kept them from being transferred to the same aircraft you wife was on.

Thank you for your service!:patriot:

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    That sucks, man.

Until it gets straightened out, do you need pistols? I'm just off your way back. Hopefully it's a one day thing, but let me know if I can help.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Sorry to hear about your issue, but at least the lost limit of $3,400.00 should cover your guns if they are truly lost and not just misrouted, here is hoping for the latter. Thanks for your service.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Make sure to get your claim to recover the price of the guns, but the odds are pretty good that the airline will eventually get them back to you.
    I had them lose my seabag years ago when I let my enlistment expire from the Navy, but it was returned to me about a week later.
    Chin up, and it'll probably go the same for you.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Hang in there, your doing the right thing and I bet the bags ddint make your connecting flight, but they should show up soon, let us know if they do.
    The firearms declaration is as you know inside the bag, so THUGS only get yours if they randomly grab and go through your bag. Bag and firearms have to be in a locked secure container or bag, so they should be there when your bag(s) are located and returned by the airlines.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Good luck, hope you get your bags and guns back.

Some pre-flight hints:

Secure luggage tag with your cell number an address where your bags can be returned to you such as an office address.

Take a photo of your bag on your phone. Then when asked "what does your bag look like?" you just show them a picture on your phone.

Look at the tag the airline puts on and make sure it matches your destination.

I include a sheet of paper inside my suitcase, on top. Has my contact info (cell and office address), my flight itenary, my hotel street address. Gives someone at the airline more tools to get my lost bag back to me.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Also, when you declare a firearm, after you jump through their hoops. Lock it up with your own lock and demand to be there in case they want to inspect it. Taking pictures is a must too, cell number on the outside is a good idea too.

Hope things work out and you get your guns back

ChevyNova1970

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2015
    Northwest
    Shoot,
    I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you get your guns back. I would tell southwest to reimburse you, but they probably won't. Too bad you don't have a type of insurance that covers your property during flight. Hopefully they will pop back up in the near future.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I hope it's just misplaced. I've been watching on the news about all the baggage handlers getting arrested for stealing property.

I lost my golf clubs once. They never showed up. I probably would broken them or thrown them in a water hazard but that's not the point.

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    Good luck! I went to Germany once and Continental sent my baggage to Amsterdam. It showed up at my hotel 5 days later, in the late evening before I came home! I got a free upgrade to Business Class for the flight home after that! I would expect your bags to be delayed and not lost. I would call the lost luggage office daily to check status.

rosefarm10

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2015
    Milford
    Been through this. Stay on their butts. Call every four hours. Make them aware that you are not going away and the importance of the bag contents. I have had both outcomes. Once found and delivered, once never seen again. For you, I hope and pray the best!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Great to hear they were found. Another good tip: make sure you put a tag INSIDE your bag with your contact info on it. That way when the tags fall off and they open the bag it is still identifiable.

Top Bottom