• ...and so much more!
  • Blue River Guns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Hey Folks,

Just curious how many of you incorporate airsoft weapons as a low cost alternative to live fire at the range?

I dry fire almost daily with my xd and kel-tec p3at. I have now started incorporating an airsoft pistol into my training as well as a low cost alternative to live fire at the range. Granted it does not replace range practice I just see it as a good suppliment to my training.

Any Thoughts?

Thanks for the feedback and God bless!:patriot:

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    We have used Airsoft guns in our PD training before. Mostly use simmunition when not doing live fire, but I would say if it works for you.....it's better than sitting around not doing some training.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I do. It's obviously not exactly the same thing as firing your real gun but still very beneficial. I'm also a big fan of force of force training.

Last edited:

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    I recently found out Sig put out a 229 airsoft, I'm very tempted to purchase. The closer you can get to what you carry the better. It will help with practicing scenarios & finding your sights quicker.

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    I use airsoft a lot, it is my main way to train, then comes live and dry fire. My two car garage is now an indoor airsoft range. I use it for both pistol and close range rifle with scaled targets. I can get a few hundred rounds of trainig done for pennies, in a lot less time than going to the range and doing some things that not all ranges allow like drawing from the holster and moving while firing. In my book they are better than .22lr trainers because urban/suburban peoplle can use them at home, even cheaper costs, and you can use them for force on force.

I was just thinking about posting on here this morning a out an airsoft force on force training group here in the greater Indy area, anybody else interested?

ncthorn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Gas blowback airsoft guns make great training tools. Some of them have really nice kick and are heavy enough to simulate holding the real deal (especially the metal ones). I sold my airsoft collection to fund my firearm hobby a couple years ago but I had a lot of fun with the guns while I had them.

m4_dave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    North Central IN
    I have quite a few airsoft guns.It's fun if you can get alot of people together and play like milsim games.We go out in the woods with camo and gear.They alot cheaper to shoot that real guns by far.Some of them cost as much as real guns,but when it comes down to it you get what you pay for.

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    I'd be willing to drive to Munice once a month., plus my parents are in the Fort Wayne area.

I've done the milsim airsoft thing too, it more fun than paintball IMO.

My airsoft trainer has custom computer controller that make the bolt work, fire 30 or 31 rounds per mag insertion, and simulate malfunctions. Here's pic of it with my MAK-90.
    100_1270.jpg

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I live out in the country, so I can walk out the door and go shooting, but I still use airsoft on occasion, particularly for force-on-force. I even used to practice disarming with a buddy using airsoft pistols and MMA gloves. (Like boxing gloves but you can still use your hands and fingers.)

It may sound kinda cheezy, but lots of militaries train similarly, so why not.

Blue River Guns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    I appreciate all the feedback you all are giving and it is great to see I am not the only one that has turned my garage into a training area. I use a metal gas blow back glock 19 copy airsoft for training purposes although I own an xd9. Anyone found an airsoft compatible to the xd yet?

FreedomTrainer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Pleanty of Training With Airsoft

I have developed the Freedom Trainer Target to allow training with airsoft guns indoors or out. If anyone is interested, for the next two weeks I will sell them to INGO members for $115 plus shipping. Send me a email at Mike@FreedomTrainerTarget.com and I will send you the coupon code.

Mike

FreedomTrainer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Interesting. Got pics and details?

If you go to the web site at www.FreedomTrainerTarget.com you can see some photos and there is video links as well. We will also be launching a new model in the next couple of weeks that is 32" wide and wil fit in a standard hall way. The new model will sell for $150 and the frame is constructed of metal a plastic coated metal tubing with metal fittings for enhanced durability.

I will try and post a picture of the new model later today.

Mike

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    I like the Freedom Trainer! Here's part of my garage airsoft range that I did something similar with:
    range1.jpg

If I didn't have my garage I'd probably be buying right now because I'm sure that's perfect for inside the house and still good for outside since it is so portable. Overall though right now the price is a little too much for me since I already have something set up. Good luck though, I think it is well designed.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    If you follow all of the safety rules I see no problem with it. But it is NOT allowed in NRA courses for the live fire exercise. I have known instructors who tried this and they were shut down quickly by the NRA.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Remember if you use airsoft or paintball to train, that all players need to first fully disarm, and be checked by other players.

No mixing, real vs play firearms.

Top Bottom