• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Welp, add Tim's in Westfield to the list of indoor ranges that don't allow, and frankly just don't understand 5.45x39.

Stopped by for the first time, and while the counter employee was incredibly friendly and respectful, when he asked what I was shooting and I said "a couple of 5.45 rifles," he said "what's that?" I explained AK-74 vs AK-47 but got nowhere. So I called it a Russian .223. He then performed the junk science magnet test that "proved" it was steel core. I showed him the Wolf, then offered to sacrifice a round and show him the lead core. No dice.

Their house, their rules. And a super nice guy to boot. It's just crazy frustrating the endless amount of misconception over this little "poison pill."

Shifty_85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2023
    Versailles, IN
    Welp, add Tim's in Westfield to the list of indoor ranges that don't allow, and frankly just don't understand 5.45x39.

Stopped by for the first time, and while the counter employee was incredibly friendly and respectful, when he asked what I was shooting and I said "a couple of 5.45 rifles," he said "what's that?" I explained AK-74 vs AK-47 but got nowhere. So I called it a Russian .223. He then performed the junk science magnet test that "proved" it was steel core. I showed him the Wolf, then offered to sacrifice a round and show him the lead core. No dice.

Their house, their rules. And a super nice guy to boot. It's just crazy frustrating the endless amount of misconception over this little "poison pill."
    Most indoor ranges won't allow steel jacketed ammo either because it can make sparks on the back stop and ignite the unburnt gunpowder on the floor in the range.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Most indoor ranges won't allow steel jacketed ammo either because it can make sparks on the back stop and ignite the unburnt gunpowder on the floor in the range.

I do get that, yes. And a lot of the Russian and eastern bloc stuff is bimetal jacketed (hence the magnet stick). It's just annoying having to deal with the ignorance of "muh steel core" among fellow firearms enthusiasts. I also had a .223 AK with mags full of the same Wolf Polyformance ammo as the 5.45, and they waved that right through since they recognized the caliber.

Tim's backstops are a lot less fancy than the RUSA backstops.

Shifty_85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2023
    Versailles, IN
    I do get that, yes. And a lot of the Russian and eastern bloc stuff is bimetal jacketed (hence the magnet stick). It's just annoying having to deal with the ignorance of "muh steel core" among fellow firearms enthusiasts. I also had a .223 AK with mags full of the same Wolf Polyformance ammo as the 5.45, and they waved that right through since they recognized the caliber.

Tim's backstops are a lot less fancy than the RUSA backstops.
    Strange the few indoor ranges I used to go to wouldn't allow any Wolf or steel or bi metal jacket for the reason I stated.

To allow .223 WPA but not 5.45 is pretty dumb then.

kBk wz. 1970

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2021
    Carroll County
    Curious if any INGOers have rolled the dice on this new ammo out of Azerbaijan - Tela. The 7.62x39 has a definite Vympel vibe to it with the lacquered cases and purple sealant. According to the company these are non-corrosive primers, though I'd want to confirm that myself with a nail test.

Yes, this is the same ammo that Kalashnikov USA teased us with a year or so ago, with some dubious claims about it being their in-house brand. Looks like K-USA crapped the bed on an exclusive import contract. Unsurprising, considering their former, *ahem* "film star" spokeswoman.

The website offers direct to consumer sales - www.telaimpex.com - but at least a couple of the big online retailers have TelaAmmo right now, too. My big takeaway is the incoming 5.45 ammo. I will gladly be a guinea pig when that hits the market.

Nice to see more options for us AK fans, especially at a time when PSA is delaying rollouts of its own combloc ammo. PSA vaporware - who saw that coming?

View attachment 289157

View attachment 289160
    Have a link to the direct to customer sales?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Got an email from AoA saying Atlantic had sold out of the mini Beryls and they would be soon as well.

bdj357

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    DaRegion NWI Crown Point
    Are the newer Century Arms VSKAs any good. I’m not an AK guy to be honest but I do have a Polytech folder and an NHM91 and have been thinking I need a standard full stock AK. I’ve been trying to get a full stock Polytech I sold my friend years ago when I needed cash after open heart surgery but he says he’s going to his grave with it so I need to look elsewhere. I know where there is a very nice VSKA, like new, for around 7 bills. It’s flat black with plastic furniture, which I’d like to replace with wood, and looks unfired. I seem to recall Century AKs having issues back in the day. Thanks for your advice.
    I know this was several months ago, but I was “lucky” enough to purchase one recently. I made the decision after watching the 5000 round review with the AKGUY.
    Did you end up picking it up?
    As far as mine. You pull the trigger and it goes bang. Eats everything…it runs. My former AK was a Romanian and as I remember, everything seemed the same with the exception of I believe the VSKA’s trigger seems nicer as I recall.

Last edited:

bdj357

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    DaRegion NWI Crown Point
    Just got a VSKA. Wasn’t planning on it, but I couldn’t pass it up for the money.
    Fit and finish was good. Polymer sucked!!! But for the price I paid I replaced it with Magpul for now. For sub $550 (with the new Magpul) I have what I think is a decent AKM.
    Ate everything I put through it S&B, Tula, Wolf, Red Army and surplus from years ago. No jams no hiccups. Since it was used, I had concerns, but it was clean.
    So far seems like a solid AKM. Was looking for something more traditional since this one has the sight on the gas block. But like I said it was a good deal (with the exception of I wasn’t expecting to win the bid and had to explain to the wife why I walked in with another gun!)

kBk wz. 1970

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2021
    Carroll County
    Are the newer Century Arms VSKAs any good. I’m not an AK guy to be honest but I do have a Polytech folder and an NHM91 and have been thinking I need a standard full stock AK. I’ve been trying to get a full stock Polytech I sold my friend years ago when I needed cash after open heart surgery but he says he’s going to his grave with it so I need to look elsewhere. I know where there is a very nice VSKA, like new, for around 7 bills. It’s flat black with plastic furniture, which I’d like to replace with wood, and looks unfired. I seem to recall Century AKs having issues back in the day. Thanks for your advice.
    Get a WASR 10 instead.

StumpGump

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2022
    Avon
    Not sure if this is the best place to ask and if not maybe someone can point me in the right direction. Been looking into suppressing my ak. The key points I see are barrel concentricity, and backpressure to actually be able to cycle subsonic ammunition. The first "shouldn't" affect me, my 12.5 barrel is properly threaded and not reliant on the gas block. Does anyone have actual experience with this? My two main candidates are the omega 300 and the wolverine, the wolverine being likely the cause of failure to cycle subs with its low back pressure leads me to the omega and maybe getting a stronger recoiled spring to run supers. Any advice is appreciated.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    I'm sure they moved at least a few pallets of that stuff at that price. It's supposed to shoot nice and hot like the sealed Republic-branded stuff TSUSA had awhile ago.

Top Bottom