• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ok, i'm certain that this has been discussed before, but i couldn't find a comparison thread so any input is very much appreciated. All research indicates that the 74 is the more accurate gun, of the two. But i'm told ammo is hard to find. What are your opinions of which one to buy and why? i thank you all in advance. Thanks, Steve

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Ok, i'm certain that this has been discussed before, but i couldn't find a comparison thread so any input is very much appreciated. All research indicates that the 74 is the more accurate gun, of the two. But i'm told ammo is hard to find. What are your opinions of which one to buy and why? i thank you all in advance. Thanks, Steve

Who told you that 5,45x39 is hard to find? There is plenty to be had on the internet, both in private sale and places like sgammo, luckygunner.

Also, do you mean the 5,45 is a more accurate cartridge than the 7,62? If that is the question, then I do not know the answer - you'll have to look into ballistics. Either rifle will be using surplus ammunition - so get ready for groupings that look like, well, surplus ammunition groups. Still, my AK has been plenty accurate.

Whichever way you go, buy an Arsenal. I like 7,62x39 personally.

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    I have both and the AK74 (5.45X39) round has become my favorite for several reasons. Yes it is an accurate caliber for tactical distances but accuracy depends on many different factors including who manufactures the round, the bore condition, barrel length, sights, etc. The 5.45X39 was developed to compete with the calibers used by the US, NATO, etc. You can read for hours on this topic and find endless opinions.

I also like the low recoil from the 5.45X39. Really there's more muzzle rise from rapid fire fun than anything and recoil is not a factor. This helps the shooter stay on target. The 5.45X39 round is not known for going thru an engine block like the 7.62x39 (AK47) but I don't see the need to shoot at engine blocks.

As for ammo availability, there is plenty of 5.45X39 available in spam can surplus and civilian stuff. Personally I like Silver Bear but have tried everything on the market. The 7.62x39 round is still more popular and in proportion more available but if you are concerned about end of the world/no ammo available, etc., then neither caliber will meet this requirement, unless you stock up. :D

Russian and Eastern Bloc nations who export this stuff to the US and other countries are in full production to keep up with demand but like any ammo, domestic or foreign, it could dry up overnight.

Good luck, get what you want while you can and don't look back.

Last edited:

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Russian and Easter Bloc nations who export this stuff to the US and other countries are in full production to keep up with demand but like any ammo, domestic or foreign, it could dry up overnight.

Good luck, get what you want while you can and don't look back.

This is solid advice. Hell, buy both, shoot both, and then sell one. Whatever you do, fill your closet with ammunition.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thank you all for the great input. you say in a shtf situation, that both calibers will dry up, but isn't the 47 round stocked in gun shops more than the 74? Thanks again, this is great stuff.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Why get a 5.45 AK when a 5.56 AR would be more suited? If you want the heavier round (and Russian/East Bloc) get the 7.62 AK or (or want US) look for something in .308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Why get a 5.45 AK when a 5.56 AR would be more suited? If you want the heavier round (and Russian/East Bloc) get the 7.62 AK or (or want US) look for something in .308

It appears that in all reputable studies and historical accounts i've read, yes the AR is the more accurate, but in a shtf situation, the AK can be cleaned with mud and possibly never have to be cleaned. So, more field reliable. AR would indeed be my first choice, but working on a budget.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    AK47 or AK74?

BOTH!!! :D

Both are fairly cheap to shoot and both have plenty of surplus ammo to stock up on. If you have to buy one or the other then IDK flip a coin maybe :dunno: both are fun!

I have an AK47, but also plan to add a 74 to the safe as well. My opinion was get the 7.62 first then go for the 5.45 later on.

Best of luck with your decision

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    The reason I went with the 74 is cause it's a lot cheaper to shoot then the 47.
    yes and no but you win with both they are both cheap to shoot.... corrosvie ammo the 5.45x39 is cheaper right now non corrosve ammo they are about the same in price $200ish (plus or minus $20) for 1000 rounds ...... but when it comes to ak's 47 74 who cares you win ether way i have many of both and will not part with any of them

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    74 ammo is cheaper. No its not always available at your local gun store but you can ask them to order it for you or order online yourself.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    yes and no but you win with both they are both cheap to shoot.... corrosvie ammo the 5.45x39 is cheaper right now non corrosve ammo they are about the same in price $200ish (plus or minus $20) for 1000 rounds ...... but when it comes to ak's 47 74 who cares you win ether way i have many of both and will not part with any of them

to me, the end user, what is the difference between corrosive and non corrosive ammo? What makes it corrosive and does it just mean i have to clean my gun more often? In your AR vs AK video, you said you may never need to clean the AK, i assume that's with non corrosive ammo. ..Thank you.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    to me, the end user, what is the difference between corrosive and non corrosive ammo? What makes it corrosive and does it just mean i have to clean my gun more often? In your AR vs AK video, you said you may never need to clean the AK, i assume that's with non corrosive ammo. ..Thank you.
    well the difference is in the primers... alot of older surplus ammo used corrosive primers they contain salts that would attract moisture and cause rust to from in a very short period of time day or two normally... no problem shooting corrosive ammo i shoot it alot of it but get in a practice of cleaning your rifle right after you shoot it... non corrisve ammo is better if you might not be able to clean your weapon right away... but still best to keep your weapons clean but the ak is well known to preform with some of the worse mistreatment/lack of maintenance thats why it is so loved

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Get both, 47 as your go to gun and the 74 to train with. Soak it when you are done and clean it twice, you have to remove the muzzle break and clean it well.

It will rust overnight, salts in primers.

Top Bottom