HALO_AK_left.jpg

[/IMG]

What kinda can do you have on that?

clonies

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Honestly, if you're shooting past 200 yards with an AK, you're not using the right tool for the job.

"Better" in what respect? Several years ago, I dumped all my 7.62x39 rifles and standardized on the 5.45. I did this for several reasons - less recoil, flatter shooting (combination of the two equals "easier to shoot well"), and cheaper to shoot (mil-surp ammo is ~$139/1080). The 7.62 presents more recoil, but gives better penetration of intermediate barriers.

We have a couple Polish Tantals in at about $459.95. Arsenals can be ordered, but run $850+.

They are the same as for the stamped-receiver 7.62 AKs.

HTH!

5.45 was nicknamed the "Poison round" if I remember correctly. By the Afghani's. I'm sure someone may argue with me over this, but it's my belief that that bullet was made to tumble and yaw in human flesh. I cannot find the link anymore, but a friend once sent me an FBI webpage saying that the 5.45x39 round is extremely deadly in all their ballistics tests. I have an Arsenal SGL31 inbound and here's what I've learned about the AK-74 so far.

-lightweight ammo
    -a lot of cheap surplus ammo. You can get like 2160 Russian surplus rounds for around $260ish delivered
    -when the magazines are fully loaded, it's also extremely lightweight
    -AK-74 magazine supply is drying up. I buy in bulk to save money, and they're usually Bulgarian Surplus. If I buy 10 at a time, I can usually get them from $12.95-$14.95 a piece.
    -Nicer AK-74 mags are very expensive.....but damn they're nice. I recently purchased a Tula bakelite 5.45 in new condition. :rockwoot:
    -AK furniture in general is uncomfortable for me, so I bought a US palm AK grip that's similar to a Tango Down battle grip. I may eventually throw on a VLTOR AK receiver extension and an IMOD stock to replace the AK-74 buttstock.
    -optics must be mounted as low as possible to achieve optimum cheek weld to scope height ratio.
    -Russian/Commie red dot sights are cheap and rugged compared to Aimpoint/Trijicon/EOTech's.

And that's all I know so far. Condensed. Could probably list more but...yeah

bevilsiz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    One route to considered is a Saiga. Bought mine for $350 delivered. Then you can convert as much as you want. The 5.45 is deadly accurate out to 100 yds for sure. Past that I have never tried. I love mine.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    If you are needing stopping power get the 7.62x39 AK47 but if you want accuracy the AK74 5.45x39 round. Yes it is true that the 5.45x39 round is called the "Poison round". I have shot my 74 at a stack of phone books and most of the rounds shot out the side of the stack at about 3 to 4 inches in.
    This is a steel core round called a 7N6 that has a hollow spot in the point that lets the steel core shift forward upon impact with soft targets, this is what makes the bullet curve.
    Here is one of the rounds that didn't get away.
    nlwhn9.jpg

The good thing about this round is it has great penetration through steel or concrete blocks.
    And the best thing is this ammo is cheap to shoot, I buy in bulk to get the price down to about 11 cents per round here.
    5.45x39 Ammunition

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    evolevo
    Top Bottom