• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Laughing Snake

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    SW Indy
    I'm going to be replacing the rivets on the front trunnion of my Bulgarian AK-74. It was a Century build where they pressed the rivets against the barrel and now they've worked themselves loose. Anyway, since I'm going to have to press the barrel out and back in to do the rivets right, can I use the original barrel pin or do I need to do an oversized pin?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    when you do this I'll bet you dollars to donuts you also find they they didn't dimple the swell neck rivet holes either

Laughing Snake

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    SW Indy
    I have the trunnion pulled from the receiver finally. Surprisingly the holes for the swell necks were dimpled. Now my problem has been getting the barrel pin out.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Sounds like ether the rivets were bucked against the trunnion or over crushed both common problem if she's a early build...headspace will determine what pin you will use...but wabbit is correct use the original 7mm pin if everything was correct

Laughing Snake

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    SW Indy
    So I got the rivets replaced and the rifle put back together. I haven't test fired it yet but will soon.

Anyway the way my luck goes...the lever for the gas tube got bent in the process. I tried to straighten the lever out and it snapped off as soon as I put pressure on it. Can the lever be replaced relatively easy?

The Midwest Industries handguard I have on it would prevent the gas tube from moving too far.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Can the lever be replaced relatively easy?

I did that on one of my 74s. If you have a clean break, you could try to tack weld it back together. The dimple is only there to keep it from moving. Even without the dimple, the gas tube lever doesn't move. To remove the entire lever requires bending the other side (similar to the mag catch pin).

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Trick I use to flair the catch is to use a ball bearing that slightly over sized (maybe 3/8 or 1/2in) and with the other side firmly supported strike the ball bearing with a hammer once or twice...flair's it quite well without the maring of punch.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I have broke a gas tube lever too... everything is going well and then I wasn't paying attention and snapped the bugger right off. A word on flaring a new one, flare it just enough, and no more! the one I fixed (I used ball bearings too) I squeezed too hard and it turns kinda hard. not the end of the world, but annoying.

Top Bottom