• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Ok guys a bit of help needed. I'm a hunting guy but long story short I wound up with access to a couple guns today and don't know what I may have and/or don't want to screw them up if I take 'em.

First: AK 47 NHM 91 no tripod and with folding stock. Should I take it back to original or just shoot the heck out of it? Gun in great shape. There are all kinds of crazy rules on these AK's. Is it even legal like this? All the pics I have seen on web show a thumbhole stock and tripod. Front wood in great shape. Just looks like a simple killing machine.

Second: SKS with bananna clip. God knows how many rounds that thing holds but I'm pretty sure it will get the job done. No chinese writing on it anywhere. Tons of serial numbers all over the thing but no real identifying marking that I have seen so far. Dark wood beat to hell stock but metal in really good shape and wood could be refinished fairly simply. Should it be redone? Has a tampon cleaning kit that shoots out the back end. Coolest part of gun IMO. Bayonet and grenade ladder etc. Crazy arse gun. Just thinking where its been makes me wonder about history.

Thoughts? Should I take them back to original or leave them alone and just shoot em and have fun?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The long barrel NHM91 sold with a bi-pod, but not having one doesn't really hurt the value. As you stated, they shipped with Bush1 approved Bush-hole stocks which most people immediately threw away because not many people can reach the trigger with a normal hand hold.

What folding stock was installed?

Actually the NHM91 was not the most popular post-ban Norinco, and although it will retain value, shooting it but keeping it in good condition would be ok.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    The long barrel NHM91 sold with a bi-pod, but not having one doesn't really hurt the value. As you stated, they shipped with Bush1 approved Bush-hole stocks which most people immediately threw away because not many people can reach the trigger with a normal hand hold.

What folding stock was installed?

Actually the NHM91 was not the most popular post-ban Norinco, and although it will retain value, shooting it but keeping it in good condition would be ok.

I have no idea. Its metal and plastic and folds over is all I know. I can look for some markings. Seems to fit and finish well. Like I said, I am a hunter first with little to NO experience in these things. Thanks for your input.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I've had both Pre and Post Ban NHM 91s (RPKs) and they are decent guns. They have longer recievers and a longer/heavier bbl. You can replace the stocks for an original type but sometimes it involves a little work. The guns shoot well and are usually pretty accurate. Some SKSs were imported with 30e\rd mags and others were converted. Depending on when and how the SKS was imported might make a difference. Do more investigation before you make any decisions. Also price can play an important part too. :twocents:

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Thanks Colt. Price isn't really the issue on these. The AK appears to be in great shape. The SKS is kinda rough on the wood and somebody had to do something to get the ridiculous banana clip on it but owner says it goes "bang" with no issues. If take 'em was thinking about refinishing wood on SKS as it is a gun that has so much "going on"

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    The SKS is a Yugo. The 30 round mag makes the sks non 922 compliant. They are also junk. Find a standard 10 round you will be much happier. Watch out when you clean it, since the blanks are corrosive, the shut off valve needs to be cleaned extremely well. Youtube is your friend.

I love my Yugo, sksboards.com has tons of info on them!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The SKS is a Yugo. The 30 round mag makes the sks non 922 compliant. They are also junk. Find a standard 10 round you will be much happier.

My bad, I didn't read the entire description of the SKS. I really like the NHM 91s and have had several.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Thanks guys! What is this 922 Compliant business on the banana clip? Don't want trouble. I suppose it can be converted back?

I just see these two as bang around guns for fun. Keep my bolt actions for hunting and precision fun and these two will be for fun. Plus the ammo for them seems super cheap.

Already have a few propane tanks at the farm that need some 150 yard boom shots in order to scrap 'em.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    922r is a confusing rule. Just when you think it makes sense you read one more post and its all mud again.

Since the sks is an imported weapon it needs a certain amount of American made parts, if an original part is replaced. >>>“Survivors” SKS FAQ<<< So if you replace it with the standard 10 round your good to go. Now, the American parts are not marked with any markings so I guess they could have been replaced.

You can buy compliance kits, or just a magazine. As long as you are not doing an open carry walk or being stupid with it, you will probably be ok, IANAL.

The biggest downside to the magazine is the fact that they are not reliable. The dont feed stripper clips well and seem to fail all the time. If you want capacity TAPCO 20 rounds seem to be accepted. I love my standard 10 round magazines on all of my sks.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    My God! I am a practicing lawyer of 15 years and just did a quick Google on the 922 business. Wow! What the heck is all that about? This gun is a brick for all practical purposes but appears to be regulated to ridiculous extremes. If you are looking to go all nutjob there are much better options than this old POS. Counting stocks and magazines and adding up to a magical number?! Sheesh. Hacksaw it and forget about it. I can't believe this for a gun that is at least 50 years old! What is trying to be accomplished? I just don't get it. Sorry for the rant but my eyes have just been opened to something I didn't anticipate.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Sorry for the quick answer earlier, things were happening and I couldn't answer the way I will now. More about the NHM, less about the SKS that I am not up on.

The thing about the "banana clip" is that these weapons use magazines. Garands use clips, although most SKS do load with a clip, but you load the magazine with a clip.

Confusing? :)

The NHM91 is a really nice firearm. Chinese made some nice rifles in their attempt to find what would sell in the United States. Their fire control group feel was among the best straight out of the factory. Hard to beat with any aftermarket.

From the sound of the stock, it sounds like someone replaced the standard trunion and installed a Chinese side folder as they were plastic and metal. It would be personal preference as to whether you like it or not, but if the stock was just installed using the standard tang that the standard stock attached to, without modification, then you have the ability to change it to what ever stock you want.

As to that 922(r) or now Title 27 CFR 478.39, if you bought the rifle in that condition, you have no problem because the rule states you cannot make it that way, but not about buying one already converted.

Find the parts count rule here from ATF site: Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:

So basically what I am saying is that you have a nice rifle there and should enjoy it for the great shooter that you will find it to be.

Oh, you wouldn't have a photo or two????

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Just triend and photobucket says I have an invalid email or password. Pretty sure its been the same for years. Can't figure it out and don't have inclination to try at this point. Sorry but just spend 30 minutes finding camera taking pics downloading to computer just to get shut down for an "error" ARGG

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    55 minutes into this and still can't get a picture up. Between photobucket faileres and upload failures I am worn out on this. Beginning to wonder if I should even have a semi automatic firearm. Sheesh. Giving up. Thank you though for all the input and help!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Keep the firearm, ditch the camera!

Seriously, if you have photoshop or some other picture making software, try shrinking the photo down if it is a high resolution picture. You might be over the limit for number of pixels or photo size or what ever it is called. Some sites have a thing about big pictures.

This website should be able to pick the photo right from your PC. You might have to make a photo album to load to, but other than that it should be a simple upload unless the photo resolution is too high.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    The SKS is a Yugo. The 30 round mag makes the sks non 922 compliant. They are also junk. Find a standard 10 round you will be much happier. Watch out when you clean it, since the blanks are corrosive, the shut off valve needs to be cleaned extremely well. Youtube is your friend.

I love my Yugo, sksboards.com has tons of info on them!
    I'm not sure when Yugo's were imported, but if it was imported prior to the '89 ban then 922r doesn't matter does it?

Top Bottom