AK Build Party at USDS on 5/2/2015 (10:00 am)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    micrometer or vernier calipers ......(calipers would be best because they allow you to check internal dimensions as well) a good set will put you down at least $65..... ideally you want the barrel to be anyware from .001 and no more that .005 thousandth's oversize for a tight interference fit. .... as long it isnt to far off you can have the barrel knurled to tighen up to .025

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    need to check the OD of the barrel and the ID of the trunnion with a set of vernier calipers.

Most factories made different sized barrel ends to account for fit, so you might need to either find a different one or find someone to knurl the end of your barrel to bring the fit into spec.

lol beat me too it

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I'm in for a party! maybe this fall? I've missed the last two, but nothing will keep me from the next one.... I have two 74 kits that need help. (headspaced), and a few receivers in need of heat treat.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Let's get this going. Who has a September date in mind? Saturday's seem to work best. Needs to be at least a month out so everyone can get their parts together. And receivers ordered. Don't forget USDS in greenwood has transfers for only $15!!! So you can order your stripped receiver and have it waiting for you for the build party!

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Possibly. I don't show anything on that day but I need to check with the wife to make sure I'm not missing something, plus my son will start fall baseball soon and they usually plan weekends. So I'm a firm maybe.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    USDS was a great location! Plus the transfer thing being so inexpensive is awesome! Maybe we should expand and do AR's as well. Surely there are people needing assistance doing both builds. AR's are way easier, imho, than scratch building an AK. I also like the ability to test fire when a rifle is completed! Not needing to build, but am willing to assist with either AK or AR assy. Looking forward to it! Also need to get my bolt cutter rivet crusher back, whomever has it now.:)

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    TriggerTime has it. We definitely want your rivet crusher to find it's way back home and hoped you would come.

Just an FYI for everyone, if you have tools, mark them in someway permanently (engraving) or not so permanent (color tape).

USDS was a great location! Plus the transfer thing being so inexpensive is awesome! Maybe we should expand and do AR's as well. Surely there are people needing assistance doing both builds. AR's are way easier, imho, than scratch building an AK. I also like the ability to test fire when a rifle is completed! Not needing to build, but am willing to assist with either AK or AR assy. Looking forward to it! Also need to get my bolt cutter rivet crusher back, whomever has it now.:)

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    USDS has an AR build party coming up ;)

TT said it was Sep 18th or so. I wanted to keep our date away so the AR contamination could be wiped away.

I too am firm. Assuming I don't get tasked with something more pressing, I'll be there...and definitely firm.

See your doctor if that lasts more than 4 hours. Or we could use a 12 / 20 ton press to fix.

Jagdhund

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I'll come again, but I'm not sure if I'm doing another build or not. If I do it will probably be a quick pre-populated barrel and pre-made receiver.

If I can find one that fits, I would like to swap the gas block on my Vepr.

Fawkes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    TT said it was Sep 18th or so. I wanted to keep our date away so the AR contamination could be wiped away.

See your doctor if that lasts more than 4 hours. Or we could use a 12 / 20 ton press to fix.

Gross! AR contamination. I bet that Subway spokesman guy owns an AR, or did.

funny. Or a bigass hammer

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    If I show up with a parts kit, receiver and barrel, what progress could I expect to have accomplished by the end of the session?

Assuming I were relatively adept with tools, that is. :wallbash:

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    If I show up with a parts kit, receiver and barrel, what progress could I expect to have accomplished by the end of the session? Assuming I were relatively adept with tools, that is. :wallbash:

If you're parts are clean before we start, you can do it if you don't get distracted by all the pretty AKs. If you have to drill out the old rivets first at the party, your chances are slim.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    If you're parts are clean before we start, you can do it if you don't get distracted by all the pretty AKs. If you have to drill out the old rivets first at the party, your chances are slim.

It's all ready to go, but realistically speaking, I know that glitches pop up along the way...

Not the same proposition as an AR build, I see. Those things are just like putting together Legos.

Top Bottom