• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    go to indyrange.org and look at the schedule. find a day that works for you and doesnt have the clubhouse already reserved. let me know what you find and I will tey to get it on the schedule

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Gonna throw this out there... would anyone at the build party be able to fix a canted front sight? Not sure if the equipment is going to be there or not. And by "fix" I mean drilling out and replacing the pins, not just whacking it with a hammer... :):

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    Man, I wish I knew anything about AK's. I would LOVE to order some stuff and do this. I just read this whole thread and I'm still confused on which parts kit works with which receiver, and so on and so on... :laugh:

Also, is the "flat", the serialized part that would need to go thru an FFL??

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    No, the flat is just a sheet of steel. once bent to shape, and the lower rails are welded into place, it becomes a receiver, but YOU made it so it doesn't have to go through an FFL.

as for kits, most kits are AKM pattern rifles, ie russian, romanian, egyptian, bulgarian, etc, and will use the same receiver and barrels.

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    No, the flat is just a sheet of steel. once bent to shape, and the lower rails are welded into place, it becomes a receiver, but YOU made it so it doesn't have to go through an FFL.

as for kits, most kits are AKM pattern rifles, ie russian, romanian, egyptian, bulgarian, etc, and will use the same receiver and barrels.

Thanks for the response. But a milled kit does not work with a flat, you would need a milled receiver? I think I read that somewhere.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    well, it depends ;)

a milled kit only includes the small parts, no front or rear trunnions that are normally riveted into the sheet metal receiver. If you buy a milled kit, and find front and rear trunnions somewhere you can built a stamped kit out of it, but its a big PITA usually because there aren't that many loose front trunnions floating around.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Here is list of the common flats -

Receiver Flats - AK-Builder.com

If your kit does not list a specific type like AMD65, M70, AK74SU, Polish underfolder/sidefolder, etc. , then you can most likely use the standard 7.62 or 5.45 flats. I like the flats with no front trunnion holes (5.45 usually don't have them anyways) because not all trunnions are to original military specifications. It is easier to just drill the holes in the receiver to match my trunnion holes exactly.

Here is a milled receiver above a stamped receiver with the front trunnion riveted in. Notice the trunnions are built in the milled receiver.

amd65_milled.jpg

Last edited:

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    This is awesome! I'm too much of a :n00b: to get this together in a month. But I like to see members teaching member cool stuff. I may go to watch.

Has anyone put together a PSL or Romak from a blank?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Good luck finding a kit to build with. Most kits available now have the barrels cut requiring a new or used US barrel = more $$$ to put together. I'm just looking to get "parts" to eventually put one together. The kit I bought in '09 was matching numbers with barrel and I paid $300 back then. Probably couldn't touch a barreled kit now for less than $450. The days of cheap kits are over. You know it's tough when WASR's are going for close to $1K! Get a flat and get it bent and then get your pieces as cheaply as you can to finish it. :)

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I can make that work. I will be bringing my pillow and blanky...I get off work at 0600 that morning but ill be there! :D

I'll sing you a lullaby and you won't sleep for a week. I was in the band and not the choir for a good reason! :D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Great way to learn! If your stuff arrives you could depart with a completed rifle! I used a Nodak spud for my build and it is rock solid! I have been looking for Romy front trunnion and have only seen high prices. got two flats might be willing to trade one if somebody has a an extra romy trunnion hanging around. I'm planning on attending the build party pending work related issues.

Top Bottom