• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Remember when at MCFG, dont bring any ammo with you, leave it in the car. Great facility, and the only thing that would be better is if we could test fire finished builds when they were completed.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Also, something to think about it maybe booking (if that is possible) some spots @ BGF's indoor range to do some test firing?

Frontier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    For a guy who doesn't have many tools at his disposal, what are the parts I should buy to be able to maximize the tools at my disposal at the build party? I just got my flat, should I also get a front trunnion, barrel and trigger assembly? I want to save all the easier steps for later on so I can buy the parts piece by piece.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Right now it looks like Marion County Fish and Game.

If your going to come, might as well bring some of your tools :)

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Here is something Im curious about:

How many people who are planning to attend are building either: a) complete matching kit w/ original barrel, or b) a virgin barrel kit?

How many people are planning to build with either: a) a flat or 80% receiver, or b) a ready to go receiver like a NoDak Spud?

Virgin barrel kit builds are MUCH more time consuming. There are some things you will need to bring with you that an original barrel kit wont need:

Drill bits (all should be BRAND NEW):
    1) 3mm drill bits, minimum of 2
    2) 4mm drill bit, 1 will probably do it, but 2 just in case.
    3) 1/4" drill bit, at least 1. This is to start the barrel pin.
    4) another step up drill bit, Ill look it up.
    5) 7mm drill bit, at least 1.

You will need (4) 3mm pins, and (1) 4mm pin for the barrel stuff. Hopefully these are in the kit, if not you will need to get some.

We will need someone to bring a drill press. I dont want to drill barrel pins with a hand drill.

I'll probably add to this, but these are just some things Im thinking about.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    OK, stuck at work doing some thinking. We need to put together some kind of system for how this is going to work, so we need to know what has to happen with the builds. Its late, and Im tired, so I hope I didn't miss anything.

Bending a receiver from a flat will require a whole different list of things that Im not 100% sure on.

How to build an AK (30,000 ft view, assuming receiver is ready to go)

Step 1: Demil kit.
    a) Press barrel out of front trunnion.
    b) Chopped barrel kit: Press barrel parts out of FSB, GB, and RSB
    c) Get the rivets out of everything, ie front trunnion, rear trunnion, trigger guard

Step 2: Drill holes in receiver for front and rear trunnion

Step 3: Rivet front trunnion, rear trunnion, and trigger guard to receiver.

Step 4a: For a virgin barrel kit:
    a) Press barrel into front trunnion, set headspace w/ bolt.
    b) Drill barrel pin hole
    c) Put everything on the barrel (ie RSB, lower handguard retainer, GB, FSB.)
    d) Drill holes and install pins for barrel items.
    e) Install barrel pin

Step 4b: For original barreled kit:
    a) Install barrel, and pin in place.

Step 5: Install all of the other junk (ie handguards, gas tube, FCG, pistol grip, stock, BCG, recoil spring, dust cover, etc)

Step 6: Shoot rifle at paper.

Step 7: ?

Step 8: Profit

Last edited:

Frontier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    OK, stuck at work doing some thinking. We need to put together some kind of system for how this is going to work, so we need to know what has to happen with the builds. Its late, and Im tired, so I hope I didn't miss anything.

Bending a receiver from a flat will require a whole different list of things that Im not 100% sure on.

Well shoot I just got my flat in the mail today because I thought we were starting out with flats.

As far as tools we should get a list going and people will sign up to bring this or that. People who are limited on tools will bring extra drill bits and food.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Oh, I think they are going to do flats, I just don't know the specifics well though to detail out the procedure.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I know one person has the flat bender. We can definitely send everyone home that has a flat with a new receiver (that MUST be heat treated). I don't plan on spot heat treating at the party. There is a lot of info on the Net about doing it.

I will bring my 12 ton hydraulic press with me and rivet jigs. If you have a kit, bring your bag of rivets, and we can help you rivet your AK together. If you just need us to put your barrel on or take it off, we can help you.

Saiga conversions - I converted my Saiga 12 with a hand drill (to remove the original rivets). We can help you. Bring your hand drill and bits.

Unless someone is planning on bringing a drill press, there will be a few things that we can't do at the party.

1. Demill your kit BEFORE the party. This is the messiest step. I don't think MCFG wants metal shavings all over.

2. Trunnion holes - Your flat may or may not have them. If not, after the party, carefully drill out the trunnion holes on your receiver

3. Virgin barrel - This just requires a lot of drilling. YouTube is going to be your friend here. Drill it out before the party and we'll be happy to press on the trunnion for you.

If you need information before the party to get it done, myself, Clay, and IndyDave1776 can help you. There are lot of YouTube videos on the various stages of AK building.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Right now it looks like Marion County Fish and Game.

If your going to come, might as well bring some of your tools :)
    thanks clay id gladly bring my collection of tools i have no flat bending stuff i got head space gauges (7.62x39,5.45x39, .223, and 7.62x54r), rivet tools, trunnion drilling jig, barrel install/removal tools, drills, reams, i even have the drill jig for u guys that have the polish 80% pre bent blanks ect...

tactical1224

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    LaPorte, IN
    I have a matching #s Romy kit with a receiver. Receiver was a flat, which has been bent already. I need to spot weld the rails to the receiver. Will there be a spot welder at this build? I will drill out the old rivet on all parts necessary prior to my arrival.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I have a matching #s Romy kit with a receiver. Receiver was a flat, which has been bent already. I need to spot weld the rails to the receiver. Will there be a spot welder at this build? I will drill out the old rivet on all parts necessary prior to my arrival.

Are you going to heat treat with the trunnions installed? I have read it is not the ideal method but can be done.

I'm still looking for someone with a spot welder.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    thanks clay id gladly bring my collection of tools i have no flat bending stuff i got head space gauges (7.62x39,5.45x39, .223, and 7.62x54r), rivet tools, trunnion drilling jig, barrel install/removal tools, drills, reams, i even have the drill jig for u guys that have the polish 80% pre bent blanks ect...

ohhhhhhh ohhhhhhh bring that polish drilling jig please :-)

Are you going to heat treat with the trunnions installed? I have read it is not the ideal method but can be done.

I'm still looking for someone with a spot welder.

im thinking about buying a harbor freight spot welder. ive got a use for it other than kits. we shall see

Frontier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    I'm having a really hard time finding parts after I got my receiver flat. Anyone know where you can get an 80% receiver and some parts?

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Since I didn't want to stand in that 2 hour Indy 1500 line, rear trunnion done.

amd65_reartrunnion.jpg

And the parts fit.

amd65_fit.jpg

Putting the barrel back on is next.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom