• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    So decided to reinstall the barrel over lunch.

Regular red lubrication grease from Menards. When I took the picture, I noticed the bar going in the magwell was slightly tilted. I clamped the metal plate to the press with another C clamp to stop that from happening. You can see my homemade T jig with JB weld and black duct tape all over it.
    amd65_grease.jpg

Pennies that are all over my house. If you don't know why, the copper is softer than the barrel material. It will protect the crown and threads when getting squished.
    amd65_pennies.jpg

Using a headspace guage, I tested the barrel reinstall. It is perfect. The only thing left to do is reinstall the barrel pin tonight.
    amd65_assembled.jpg

And that's how you build a kit.

Last edited:

BEANC0UNTER

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    Built this with dad a few weeks ago. Rommy G kit. Another one brought back from the dead. I then sold my spare matching G kit for $200. Good for someone, just ok for me.

img20130106164056.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If I'm only going to be swapping out my trigger group and (hopefully) taking the cant out of my front sight, are there any parts I need to get? The trigger kit should have everything I would think, but not sure if I need to find new pins for the front sight. I know for sure that one of the existing pins is broken.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Okay, list is updated.

AK Build Party

Hoosier.Patriot - right now, if you can find a kit, receiver, and barrel..that's the best kit. If I had my choice, a standard stock 7.62 is a good first AK. AK74 kits seem to be easier to find right now.

DoggyDaddy - I don't think you will need anything else. I'm hoping we can knock out your pins, adjust, and reuse them. But who knows once the hammering begins.

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I think I want to go with an AK-74, any problem with that?

assembly is the same regardless of caliber.
    I was interested in buying a AK-74 anyway.
    I think if I go this route maybe I can have what I need by the party.
    Will these kits give me what I need?
    Kit
    Bulgarian AK-74 Parts Kit
    Barrel
    AK-74 US Made 5.45x39mm, 16" Barrel, New (74)
    Rivet
    AK-Builder AK Rivet Set
    Flat
    Ak-Builder AK74 5.45 Flat

What about a center support?

you will need the center support rivet/tube, and the lower rails if the flat doesnt come with them.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    if were counting who has what to do, the only thing I would like to do is possibly bend a couple of flats.

Ive got the old style with out the upper rails bent, so hopefully who ever has the jig also has the part that bends that lip as well.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    if were counting who has what to do, the only thing I would like to do is possibly bend a couple of flats.

Ive got the old style with out the upper rails bent, so hopefully who ever has the jig also has the part that bends that lip as well.

Get the Center supports from AK-Builder.com for 1mm (unless you have a 1.5mm receiver).

Clay, ask IndyDave. He has the Flat Bender. I don't think AK Builder's tool is designed to bend the lips. I have seen it done on YouTube though.

Dsgnr_81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Pendleton Indiana
    If we're getting fancy [thewabbit] :) I'll also be looking for that polish blank jig to get one ready that I've got. Depending on how motivated I get at the house, I may or may not have a barrel to press in. Go ahead and drop me into the will attend column.

theundeadelvis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    I'm about 75% sure I'm coming. Gotta check with the wife to make sure there are no prior engagements. this sounds like a blast (literally and figuratively)!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    DoggyDaddy - I don't think you will need anything else. I'm hoping we can knock out your pins, adjust, and reuse them. But who knows once the hammering begins.
    Numrich as good a place as any to look for the front sight pins?

*Edit* Nevermind... Numrich was out. Ordering 3 from AK-builder.com (they only have 3 in stock) so I'll have an extra in case it's needed.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom