• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    I've got a flat and building jig in a shopping cart atm, I'm about to submit the order but wanted to check you everyone here first. I'm thinking that once I get the flat done I'll order a parts kit to finish it out, or if I screw up the flat then I'll order another and the parts kit with it.

AK-Builder.com is the site, I've got the 1.5mm Extreme Duty flat for 28 bucks, and the jig for 170. After shipping it's 230 something.

I looked online yesterday and didn't see much in the way of jigs. This one looks nice and it's machined for a solid piece per my understanding. Does anyone have any thoughts....or a promo code?

Just looking for input, going to wait a bit and will submit the order later today.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Not looking for a cheap kit, looking to build it myself. It's all about the journey, the destination is secondary. I'm just on the fence about it. Thanks for looking out an the price/quality turn out. I'll end up tempering the whole receiver for durablity, plus it's the 1.5mm not the 1.0.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Do you already have your parts kit? I thought they had dried up, at least with barrels they have. Its a journey alright, you will be an AK armorer. I pounded my together with hand tools.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    I've found several, they aren't 100% complete kits, but US made barrels in them. The same site has them from 3-4 for rifles and 5 for pistol kits. Sportsmans guide has them at time too. I want to get one built from a parts kit just to get a feel for it, after that it's play time.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    I've found several, they aren't 100% complete kits, but US made barrels in them. The same site has them from 3-4 for rifles and 5 for pistol kits. Sportsmans guide has them at time too. I want to get one built from a parts kit just to get a feel for it, after that it's play time.

I'd stay away from the sportsmans guide kits. Any kits i got from them were kinda rough with shot out barrels and were overpriced. If you use the 1.5 flat you'll probably have to machine down the trunnions and barrel block. You can sometimes find norinco mak-90 kits on Gunbroker which should mate up with a 1.5 receiver.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    buy a nodak spud receiver and call it done. You'll learn plenty and won't have to invest in the equipment. I have a 12 ton press if you want to borrow it. Just a case of beer for every 2 days you use it...

Edit, I also have a spot welder if you want to use it to weld the rails. anyways, great choice to take the journey, whether you jump in a taxi cab for a moment of the journey or not.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Personally I would go with a nodak receiver to start. Ive done a bunch of research on building receivers from flats, and there is a lot more to do, and a lot more to screw up. For $230 you can buy quite a few nodak receivers.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    I've got a couple welders to choose from so good there. It's a good excuse to pick up a press too. I've got an okay metal shop, nothing too fancy, but I know I can pull it off. I'm not worried about parts, I'm going to use a US made barrel rather than a used commie one and I've seen parts kits around. Some with barrels, some without. For my first one I just want to get it built and working right. From there I'll see how "scavenger" like I can build a second, with as few purchased parts as possible. I think it will be a good hobby, and something to occupy some of my free time for a long while to come.

Thanks for the replies and info all. No taxi cab for me, I'm walkin to 'orleans.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    you can use a mig but its really designed for a spot weld. thats not the critical part though, the heat treat is the important part by far.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    I was thinking using an arc to just make a puddle like a spot welder would, but I've got a flux wire feed as well. Haven't researched that far yet.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    I was thinking using an arc to just make a puddle like a spot welder would, but I've got a flux wire feed as well. Haven't researched that far yet.

Stay away from using flux core wire. It's very dirt and the spatter will leave pits in the receiver. Trust me...:rolleyes:

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I have built about 5 kits up all on NDS receivers. I too would like to build one on a flat just to say I did it "all", but there is something to be said for proper heat treat/fit/savings. They had basic akm receivers for something like 55$ shipped last time I ordered.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Mine will be properly heat treated and fit but will be done myself. There is no savings in the first one so you got me there. BTW, jig is on it's way to me.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I think brother Bendrx is dead set on doing this the hard way.

I say, good going and props.

<And while saying this, I think to myself "never in a million years would I do that"> :)

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    oh I dont blame him! I want to do the same thing myself, but Im going to build a couple with an NDS receiver first so I can get the basics down.

different strokes for different folks. ;)

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    I think brother Bendrx is dead set on doing this the hard way.

I say, good going and props.

<And while saying this, I think to myself "never in a million years would I do that"> :)

I call it the fun way!! Yeah, I do have a habit of diving into things head first with no regard for shallow rocks. If you baby step in then it's much easier to get a good build the first time, but then you forgo the chance to screw up and figure it out. Once I've screwed up and still won, then I know that much more. It will be harder, but it will be fun. I'm getting some more tooling from another member here in a week or so, then I'll need to build some sort of a furnace to temper the receivers. Watching the videos with the map gas torches didn't impress me too much, I do want the full and proper tempering. I got my basement mostly cleaned up over the weekend so I'll have room to work without putting my reloading gear in storage. :rockwoot: In short, Ya for AKs!!! I've never even fired one before, so it will be pretty sweet once I get the first one built and tested.

Top Bottom