• ...and so much more!
  • Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    INGO

if you were to setup a currently bone stock AK for deer hunting, what side mount and optic would you use. Say in the $300 range for the total expense. (Already have the AK) playing with the idea of setting it up for this.

Pics/suggestions below.

Thank you

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I'm not very familiar with the various AK sidemounts and optics.
    For $100 you can buy an Ultimak, then mount something like a Primary Arms red dot on it.
    Vortex may have a red dot too.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Why not get the real deal? mount and optic all in one package all in your price range.... and quite a few choices between red dots and scopes and the greatest think about them is that they are proper to the AK platform KalinkaOptics.com

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    The original scope is such a pain in the neck to sight in. I wouldn't do that.

Great optics for fast adjustments and optics such as the Psop have built in drop compensation right on the turret, only takes seconds to adjust range... Yes dialing them in takes a little getting used too.... but for stuff like hunting or anything that requires quick adjustments these are hard optics to beat.. (and you can visually see what the optic is set at) No guessing your DOPE or counting clicks

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Im liking the original scope.. I like traditional when it comes to AKs.

Any one done somthing like this? Ive got an ultimak i can put on it. using some type of extended eye relief scope in a scout set up?

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Great optics for fast adjustments and optics such as the Psop have built in drop compensation right on the turret, only takes seconds to adjust range... Yes dialing them in takes a little getting used too.... but for stuff like hunting or anything that requires quick adjustments these are hard optics to beat.. (and you can visually see what the optic is set at) No guessing your DOPE or counting clicks

Is there a particular optic on that site your speaking off? the Psop?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    If you have the side rail, an RS Regulate mount with some 1-4x scope would seem to be good.

We have a winner. The problem is with a 300 dollar budget the RS Regulate is going to cut quality 1-4's out of your budget, so I would go RS regulate, and 2-7x32. 2-7 scopes are much cheaper than 1-4.

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    The 2-7x35mm Diamondback Alan set me up with has been great for deer. It poured on me most of the week I was hunting in eastern Ohio last year, that scope impressed me with its clarity in crap weather. For cost its hard to beat.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    POSP (sorry) if you looking or magnification.... just about any of these also have the rapid compensating turrets im talking about as well but that also extends to most of the ak red dot scopes as well two include the Kobra (which is pretty cool because its parallax free and you can change between multiple reticle's) Kalinka is a great place for checking stats but there not always the cheapest.... but you can see whats out there

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    I am looking for magnification. Like I said I like the optics from kalinkas

i also like the idea of the Rs regulate.

I did did a quick search on the regulate mounts. I've noticed the railed portion is off to the side on these mounts. What is needed to mount the optic on top center of the rifle?

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co

I did did a quick search on the regulate mounts. I've noticed the railed portion is off to the side on these mounts. What is needed to mount the optic on top center of the rifle?

Its gonna vary depending on what type regulate you use.... some will be offset other center over the bore and some red dots will even co wittness ...really depends what direction you want to go.... however very good quality product

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

RS is a 2 piece system. You would need something like the 303 with an AKR.

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Ok I see, makes sense. That seems like it would be what I would be wanting. Puts me out of my price range but I may be able to work somthing up later on.

any opinions on somthing like the Texas weapon systems top cover?

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    ultimak gas tube, (i hear the TWS is pretty good), and i also hear the Krebs rail is pretty good..... i have a polish beryl so i dont have any experience with other doglegs rails but many are happy with them

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    ultimak gas tube, (i hear the TWS is pretty good), and i also hear the Krebs rail is pretty good..... i have a polish beryl so i dont have any experience with other doglegs rails but many are happy with them

Am I understanding correctly that these require the rear sight be removed and they are inserted in their place using that pivot point?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Ok I see, makes sense. That seems like it would be what I would be wanting. Puts me out of my price range but I may be able to work somthing up later on.

any opinions on somthing like the Texas weapon systems top cover?

Not specifically the tws brand, but I have never seen that style system work well.

Top Bottom