• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remington870

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Hebron
    Was at a friends over the weekend, and he had picked up an P-Mag for his AK. I honestly didn't know Magpul made them, so I thought I would spread the good word. One note is that sometimes the mag will get hung up, and you will have to jiggle it to get it loose. It looked like that problem could be solved by filing down the back lip on the mag. Anyone else have this problem?

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    It looked like that problem could be solved by filing down the back lip on the mag. Anyone else have this problem?

I have not played with the AK PMAGS yet, but I don't know that I would file it. I know there are others who would disagree, but I would just let it wear naturally with use. My $0.02

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Mine pops freely from my M70AB2 and my M+M. I think its a slick mag. Only put 30 through it but had no issues and I thought it dropped easier than the tapcos

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Thanks for the heads up. I picked up six of these a couple of weeks ago, but haven't tried them yet. I'll try them in my SLR-107 and M92 this weekend… for fit at least. May not have a chance to go shoot. :(

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    Just picked one up today, doesnt want to fit in my WASR 10/63 underfolder. The front will not slide forward enough to seat the catch to allow the rear to slip in. I havent tried to cram it in there lol, actually was just gonna search for a common problem.

I only have one other (steel) mag that seats great. If you look at both mags, the front sides just below the follower (indented part?) is not as deep on the PMAG as it is on my steel mag. I emailed MAGPUL just to see if it has been an issue for anyone else.

I thought WASRs were supposed to have mag wobble if anything not need a sledge hammer to seat them... LOL

I havent shot my AK yet, just been tinkering, learning the platform, and trying to figure out which mags I wanna stock up on.

Snapped some pix in case it helps someone else...steel mag is a used American Tactical, polymer is the brand new PMAG. You can see where it's rubbing on the "indentions" and it is not as deep as on the steel mag.

Last edited:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Circle 10 mags are widely considered to be the best AK mags on the market with US Palm being second.

I have been waiting to see some reviews of the Magpul AK mags as they hit the market but nothing I have seen yet has convinced me that I should trash my Circle 10s and replace them with Pmags.

They seem to be a well made and reliable mag and I will probably pick up a couple to try.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    All six of my PMAG's locked in smoothly, had no wobble, and came out just as easily in my SLR-107 and Zastava M92. They were empty, but I hope they work just as well fully loaded.

I would recommend the Circle 10 mags as well. I have four that have been great so far in my Arsenal, and would like to pick up at least two more.

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    the problem with ak47 mags is that one will work awesome in one rifle, and then wont even go in another, but its just an ak, grind on the gun till it fits lol

everyone always preaches steel ak mags, but they are old and heavy, im rather impressed with these new cheap magpul ak mags, spring is really strong in them. the US palm ones are super freaking expensive, but seem pretty good also.

ak mag prices are dumb. im glad the magpul came along and will hopefully level out the market.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    Dollar for dollar, Tapco AK-47 magazines are some of the most reliable, and offer the best "bang for the buck" of any AK-47 magazine currently available. I've seen them on sale at J&G Sales for as little as $5.99 each.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I was wanting to try one for mine, but every time I go to get them they are out of stock. So I ended up with some Tapcos which have worked flawless in my AK. But would still like to try one of the Pmags since most all my AR mags are Pmags.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Dollar for dollar, Tapco AK-47 magazines are some of the most reliable, and offer the best "bang for the buck" of any AK-47 magazine currently available. I've seen them on sale at J&G Sales for as little as $5.99 each.

New style Tapco mags are good range mags but I wouldn't run a carbine course with them. The older ones had fairly weak springs in them and would cause malfunctions in my SLR-107. 1 or 2 rounds would FTF with them where as my surplus steel mags and (10) mags ran fine. I recently bought a couple newer style ones and the springs are noticeably stiffer in them and they have been much better. I updated the springs in my older ones two and they run fine now as well. So yeah for the money Tapco are good plinking mags.

I hope the Magpul mags turn out to be a high quality, reliable, value priced mag for the AK platform just like their AR mags have proven to be. And I'm sure they will.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    Can anyone with a PMAG and a metal mag look at this? Here's a pic of my American Tactical metal mag (only mag I have) and my new PMAG from the top side. You can tell a definite difference in the "thinner" part of the mag and the metal mag. It definitely causes the mag to not be able to slide forward far enough to allow the rear to pop in.

I hate to file on a new mag and worse yet file on my WASR magwell when my metal mag fits so sweet, no wobble, etc...

I know AKs can be inconsistent, mags tight here, loose there, etc... but there's definitrly a difference in design in my two mags.

In the pic, the PMAG looks longer, but it's not. It's the "thinner" area I'm talking about, definitely a difference in how deep it goes, causing an issue in MY rifle, thanks again!!

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    Nobody has any PMAGs to compare? Hmmm.....

Never mind, got the Dremel out and after 2 minutes I got a PMAG that fits like a glove....absolutely zero wobble after modification.

Last edited:

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    i had the same issue. i wouldnt mod the mags, i would mod the gun (which seems like you did) and it is what i plan to do also.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    i had the same issue. i wouldnt mod the mags, i would mod the gun (which seems like you did) and it is what i plan to do also.

Nope. i modded the mag. I'd rather mess up a 16 dollar mag than my AK, even if its a WASR. Its new to me and I bought it with one mag which fits great. If I find later, everything fits tight, then maybe Ill mod the magwell, but not until I try lots and lots of different mags.

Thanks !!!

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Nope. i modded the mag. I'd rather mess up a 16 dollar mag than my AK, even if its a WASR. Its new to me and I bought it with one mag which fits great. If I find later, everything fits tight, then maybe Ill mod the magwell, but not until I try lots and lots of different mags.

Thanks !!!
    WASR rifles are likely picky because each rifle has a slightly different magwell cutout since they are all imported into the US as single stack and cut open to accept a standard AK mag.

Top Bottom