• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Calvin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    I'm the owner of multiple AK variants, so I'm quite familiar with the type. However, I'm interested in the opinions of the membership on getting an AK Draco pistol specifically as a car gun to keep in a BoB buried in the trunk.

The purpose of such equipment would be to enable me to get to and pick up my family and transport them home regardless of nuclear attack or complete societal breakdown. In those circumstances it seems to me that bandit type vehicle ambushes are one of the main dangers. Given the vulnerability of one in a vehicle, I would think that the ability to foist an AK pistol into the lip of a car window with a 75 round drum attached and fire until it ran out of ammo would give one a much better chance to drive through the situation, or back out of it, than a handgun. It would also be easier to maneuver in that situation than an AK folder. Being relatively small, it could live with my spare tire nicely to be left untouched until such a catastrophic day as it's protection might be required.

Obviously it is not the most accurate gun in the world. In my opinion, the most important thing is to start putting rounds down range fast and keep putting them downrange until you can extricate yourself from the ambush situation. The fact that one would be sending 7.62x39 instead of a handgun caliber would be a bonus if the ambushers were using moderate cover.

For the price I cannot seem to find another platform that would be nearly as handy and effective for that specific task. What think you all on my presumptive purchase? Any firsthand accounts of shooting that exact weapon or experiences of those who have been in/trained for surviving vehicular ambushes would be especially helpful. Alternative recommendations are also extremely welcome.

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    Calvin, Im all for it!! I think thats an excelent idea, however the only thing i would do differently is i would have 2 so the wife can lay down some cover fire while your loading your 2nd 75 rd drum:ar15:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If I were interested in doing something like this...I think I'd want an AK pistol that'd been SBR'd to include a folding stock.

I think that an SPR would be just that much more practical...ya know? Sure, long range accuracy is going to suffer with it being an SBR, but you've got a greater chance of engaging possible targets (Even animals for food?) with the stock than if you were just hand holding it.

And yes, I realize that it's an extra $200 to SBR a pistol...but might be worth it.

-J-

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    An AK with no stock is not really a viable option if you ask me. They are nice little toys but well placed follow up aimed shots are not really attainable.

I think you would be better served with an underfolder or side folder. AMD65 comes to mind.

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'd go folder as the posters above mentioned. You are giving up more than you are gaining if you don't have the option of shouldering the weapon.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Keep in mind that if you leave a longgun in the car and someone drives it other than you - no biggie as long as they do not park it at a school.

But that pistol is a pistol. Someone borrows that car and they are now in possession of a handgun without a permit. Big time bad.

Is it likely to happen? No. But you'd better be ready to explain to mom/sister/brother why they can't borrow the car without you "sanitizing" it.

Personally, I would go for a cheap side folder. WASR's are under $400 easy now and a wire side stock is cheap...

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    An AK with no stock is not really a viable option if you ask me. They are nice little toys but well placed follow up aimed shots are not really attainable.

I think you would be better served with an underfolder or side folder. AMD65 comes to mind.

I agree, but it seems like the OP was talking about using it for strictly suppressive fire? In that role I think it would work well.

Calvin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    I agree, but it seems like the OP was talking about using it for strictly suppressive fire? In that role I think it would work well.

Yes, it is a strictly suppression fire role that I am looking to fill. As I see it, accurate fire would be impossible anyhow if you are trying to drive at the same time. Obviously having someone else in the car free to fire back would be awesome, but might not be possible if I have not picked up my wife or brother yet. I have to plan as if I will be the driver and the only adult capable of returning fire. I don't envision having any reload capability. That is why the 75 round drum appeals to me. It is shorter than a 30 round mag. It also weighs more and will help lighten muzzle flip. If more than 75 rounds are needed to extricate, I think one's chances of getting out of the vehicle ambush would be very limited against armed men on foot (they are pretty slim as it is).

I hadn't thought about the handgun transport issue. It is crazy rare that anyone drives my car but me, but it happens every few months or so. I would have to think about that. If I had an SBR made and licensed, would it count as a long gun in terms of vehicle transport for those without an LTCH?

I have multiple folding AKs, so I could just throw one of them into the trunk. The fact is that they are a bit long to fulfill the intended role. They would be great for someone who wasn't also driving. I would rather have a handgun if forced to do both. I'm hoping to find something that combines the best attributes of both.

Other alternatives I have thought about are a Scorpion, Tec-9, Mac-11, or the Sterling pistol. A Handgun with a really large aftermarket mag would work as well. I also like the PPSH pistol in 7.62x25 but it is also a bit long. In my mind, having something with ammo and mag commonality with my other AKs would be a better fit. 7.62x39 would also be a much more intimidating round and the ultimate goal is simply to intimidate my way out of a nasty situation.

Last edited:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I hadn't thought about the handgun transport issue. It is crazy rare that anyone drives my car but me, but it happens every few months or so. I would have to think about that. If I had an SBR made and licensed, would it count as a long gun in terms of vehicle transport for those without an LTCH?

It would count as an NFA firearm and they would now face Federal charges in addition to State charges. An NFA firearm cannot be in the possession of anyone other than the face on the form that also must accompany the firearm.

Additionally, if your NFA firearm gets stolen the BATF has to get involved in it's recovery. That theft would be in the paper with your name, the BATF, and how much of a {edited out} you were to leave it in the trunk (or at least the HT would write it that way!).

Funny that we have the same mode of thinking. I had the exact same thought process. Right now, I am going with a $100 shotgun. I considered a Draco, but the handgun law issue is not something I want to fuss over. I am considering a Kel-Tec 9mm or .223 to fill the role, but have not seen anything so exciting that I would spend the cash for it.

If AK's ever get back down to sub $300... Maybe a Saiga...

Calvin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    Funny that we have the same mode of thinking. I had the exact same thought process.

Wile E. Coyote like genius is clearly something we have in common.:)

The input is very helpful. A converted Saiga-12 shotgun is clearly the winner as far as intimidation goes, but I doubt myself man enough to one hand it.

I have enough to deal with in my life without having to file paperwork with the batf. I think I'll just stick to stock handguns or long guns. Perhaps going the Draco route and simply unloading my BoB every night ritually is the way to go. I will bend my supra-genius mind upon the problem for a bit longer.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Y If I had an SBR made and licensed, would it count as a long gun in terms of vehicle transport for those without an LTCH?

Yes, but it would also be illegal for anyone else to possess it without you there, unless you register it through an LLC or trust and the other person is named in the paperwork.

I have multiple folding AKs, so I could just throw one of them into the trunk. The fact is that they are a bit long to fulfill the intended role.

Take one of your folders, have the barrel chopped and the FSB moved back, to make the shortest possible package that is still >16" with a permanently attached muzzle device.

Other alternatives I have thought about are a Scorpion, Tec-9, Mac-11, or the Sterling pistol.

Frankly, I wouldn't bet my life on any of those.

A Handgun with a really large aftermarket mag would work as well.

Glock 34 with a 33-round Glock mag stuffed with +P+ hollowpoints, maybe? Reliable, relatively inexpensive, decent power, no special paperwork required (other than your LTCH to have it in the car).

Or if you want to stay with the rifle theme, how 'bout a Kel-Tec SUB-2000 that takes Glock mags? It's a long gun, but folds up into an easily stowable package. Still somewhat limited by the pistol caliber, but there are going to be compromises with any of the solutions you're talking about.

7.62x39 would also be a much more intimidating round and the ultimate goal is simply to intimidate my way out of a nasty situation.

Or shoot your way out, if need be. Since we're talking vehicle ops, an intermediate rifle caliber like 5.56 or 7.62x39 would do much better against automobile sheet metal and glass than any pistol round. Which brings us back to square one...

PTinbound

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    DeMotte
    I like the Draco idea. Also gives caliber and magazine compatibility to what you already have.

Just as a side note, could someone explain in English what the Long Gun laws are in Indiana regarding cars? Can they be carried loaded legally in your car with or without a LTCH?

Also, where are the best deals on Dracos these days? JG sales and then ship to an FFL?

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Just as a side note, could someone explain in English what the Long Gun laws are in Indiana regarding cars? Can they be carried loaded legally in your car with or without a LTCH?

You gotta be 18. That's it. Period.

Top Bottom