• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    Came across this video on Facebook. Happened earlier this week at a gas station in Atlanta.

Man pumps gas, heads inside with a buddy, and leaves his SO in the passenger seat of his car.
    The video starts while he is inside the store.
    Someone arrives and greets the men standing out front. As the car owner leaves he is followed and threatened by the gun under the guys shirt.
    Reaches into the driver side of the vehicle and pulls out an AK Pistol. When he turns around the suspect dives for cover and pulls out his handgun.
    Car owner tells the suspect to get lost, suspect circles the vehicle and the owner circles also.
    At the front of the car the suspect fires first, striking the windshield 3 times. Car owner returns fire.
    Suspect flees in a Red Mazda off-video. Car owner's SO was struck in the shoulder and is fine and stable.
    After the shooting ends they attempt to get to a safe location but when he realizes she is injured they decide instead to go inside and call 911.

Police are investigating, but so far are ruling it self-defense. The firearm was returned to the car owner, and they are seeking the other suspect.

Article: Video of a shootout at an Atlanta gas station goes viral - CBS46 News

[video=youtube;GhLSj30MOv8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhLSj30MOv8[/video]

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Looks like at about 0:39 he could have just got in the car and drove away.

Poor handling of the sitch got his SO shot too.

Deduct points for off-body carry (and goofy hair).

Boneheads all around by the looks of it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm sorry the woman go hit during the knuckleheaded behavior, but it amuses me to think of how the guy who accosted him must have reacted when that short barreled AK discharged a few times.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Hmmm. Three people think getting into your car and trying to drive away when there's an armed robber directly behind is a good idea. Not really. None of you thought it through. The driver window is 1/4 way down. Bad guy can be there far faster than you can get in your car, start it and get it in drive. Tueller rule in reverse and from only 8 feet and not 21. Now you have a potential car jacking/hostage situation and you've included your girl in the equation. She should have had her butt on the floorboard by the time shots were fired anyway.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I get driving away unless you think he'll be shooting at you while you drive away. What I didn't get is when you know he has a gun why are you letting him shoot first? That I feel like is asking to get shot yourself. My best attempt at monday morning quarter backing at least.... Good video to watch none the less.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    should have driven away IMO. I would have and for sure I wouldn't have had an AK pistol in my car for SD. Likely a 9mm on my person.

Anyway, I did enjoy the video but the guy was a derf. :n00b:

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Hmmm. Three people think getting into your car and trying to drive away when there's an armed robber directly behind is a good idea.

Doesn't look like a robbery. Body language is wrong. His gestures aren't trying to stop the guy or get him to approach, they appear to be dismissive. Note when aggressor thinks the victim is getting in the car, he's already edging away to leave, not charging him.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet perhaps these two recognize each other. I would also just go out on a limb and suggest maybe they play for opposing teams in the street sport game. Note victim isn't sticking around after the shooting until girlfriend bails and then he stops. You know, if I were a betting man.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Doesn't look like a robbery. Body language is wrong. His gestures aren't trying to stop the guy or get him to approach, they appear to be dismissive. Note when aggressor thinks the victim is getting in the car, he's already edging away to leave, not charging him.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet perhaps these two recognize each other. I would also just go out on a limb and suggest maybe they play for opposing teams in the street sport game. Note victim isn't sticking around after the shooting until girlfriend bails and then he stops. You know, if I were a betting man.

"Police are investigating, but so far are ruling it self-defense. The firearm was returned to the car owner...."

Must have been his "rookie" season in "street sport"?

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    And people say an AK pistol is useless in a gun fight...well, in this case, there's a lot of poor handling. The AK guy didn't immediately open fire and was mostly being very calm.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I liked seeing Usain Bolt in the red t-shirt run out of the area. Gold medal performance for sure. Also, wonder what that other dude was doing opening the back door of the car leaning and and then going inside the station?

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    My thought was he is a passenger and wanted to get gone after the shooting... then saw the lady with a bullet in her and decided to head back to the relative safety of the C-Store.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I have a hard time seeing this as self defense. I mean, technically AK47 was threatened first, but he had to go back to his car to retrieve his weapon. Unnecessary escalation from what I see.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I have a hard time seeing this as self defense. I mean, technically AK47 was threatened first, but he had to go back to his car to retrieve his weapon. Unnecessary escalation from what I see.
    AK going back to his car is a non issue--where else was he going to go? He seemed to be trying to leave but 'nickel-plated-hi-point' was following/pursuing him. Can't read lips in the video, but I can imagine a monologue like "ima cap yo *** w'ma fotay an' F you up". I don't think drawing a weapon on someone who's armed and looking for trouble--with you--is unjustified. Later AK showed restraint when he came around the back of the car and waved 'hi-point' away (like GTFO) and didn't shoot until 'hi-point' opened fire first. The only argument to be made against SD by AK is his firing at hi-point while he escaped, but for all we know, h-p was shooting over his shoulder as he left.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Maybe next time he should try aiming? And not taking cover behind his SO?

No mention of damage to the other vehicle or the perp being shot...no mention of where the misses ended up...

I think BBIs assessment is the right one, these folks had history and were just following the script.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Maybe they did have a history.
    Follower guy, immediately turns and follows AK guy to his car.
    But look at his right hand.
    It is obviously resting on a handgun and as was stated, who knows what he was saying.
    It looks to me like Follower is edging away because he knows what is coming from AK.
    AK guy made several mistakes.
    The two that caught my eye are
    1) He had Follower guy down on the ground and let him get up. First time I watched the video, I thought Follower guy was a goner. But AK guy lets him get up and get into a position to open fire.
    2) AK guy kept the car between him and follower guy which seems like a good idea, but when follower opened fire, his girlfriend was in the car right between the two shooters. Bad SA IMHO

I think the ONLY reason that this was self defense is because AK guys car was shot up, and he waited until Follower fired first. But that is what got the girlfriend shot.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    Maybe they did have a history.
    Follower guy, immediately turns and follows AK guy to his car.
    But look at his right hand.
    It is obviously resting on a handgun and as was stated, who knows what he was saying.
    It looks to me like Follower is edging away because he knows what is coming from AK.
    AK guy made several mistakes.
    The two that caught my eye are
    1) He had Follower guy down on the ground and let him get up. First time I watched the video, I thought Follower guy was a goner. But AK guy lets him get up and get into a position to open fire.
    2) AK guy kept the car between him and follower guy which seems like a good idea, but when follower opened fire, his girlfriend was in the car right between the two shooters. Bad SA IMHO

I think the ONLY reason that this was self defense is because AK guys car was shot up, and he waited until Follower fired first. But that is what got the girlfriend shot.

How could AK guy keep the guy on the ground? Other than shooting him while he is begging not to be shot.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    One of the dangers with this sort of exercise is to put our own goals and motivations into the heads of the participants. If you watch with the idea of "posturing for street cred" as a goal by both participants, the whole incident becomes much more logical.

Mope A threatens Mope B, but doesn't pull gun or immediately employ violence. (Goal is likely not to kill or injure, it's to display dominance)
    Mope B responds, Mope A is surprised and ends up looking like a wuss. (Goal is now threatened, and in fact has backfired due to witnesses and standing with his own team is now reduced)
    Mope A escalates to save face. (Now he needs to reclaim standing with his own team, injuring or killing an opposing team member will override his earlier display of non-street worthy behavior)
    Mope B then engages in what's being termed a self defense shooting.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    How could AK guy keep the guy on the ground? Other than shooting him while he is begging not to be shot.
    AK guy seems to tell Follower guy to get up and then LOWERS HIS WEAPON.
    If he is really that dangerous that you had to get a gun out, keep him covered until you are sure he is gone.
    I actually should have said keep him covered instead of let him get up.

BBI
    You have a keen eye, honed through experience. :bow:
    I think that is why AK guy didn't just come out shooting like a person that was really afraid for his life would have.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    AK guy seems to tell Follower guy to get up and then LOWERS HIS WEAPON.
    If he is really that dangerous that you had to get a gun out, keep him covered until you are sure he is gone.
    I actually should have said keep him covered instead of let him get up.

BBI
    You have a keen eye, honed through experience. :bow:
    I think that is why AK guy didn't just come out shooting like a person that was really afraid for his life would have.

That sounds like a solid plan, good observations.

Top Bottom