• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I consider my Mak-90 a middle of the road AK. If your patient, you can keep an eye on classifieds and pick one up for $500-$600. I've seen them at gun shows too. I also like the Yugo M70AB2. I'd keep an eye on classifieds, local shops, and hit the gun shows. Egyptian Maadi's, Hungarian AK's, and Romanian SAR's are nice AK's too I believe.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Don't be so hard on yourself... A mak 90 is much better than "middle of the road". The craftsmanship is excellent and the heavy barrel is a nice feature. Ak's start in the middle of the road, and go up. By that i mean no matter what it'll shoot in the worst conditions. How nice you want it to look, what features it has, how authentic it is, are all variables you'll have to weigh.

My current recommendation based on the AK market is to buy a Saiga and convert it yourself. You can have a kick ass AK for the price of a Wasr. 4 years ago i would have told you to buy an arsenal SGL series.

Let us know what you're looking for and what is most important to you and we can steer you better.

Blythes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    I agree, Chinese made AK's are among the best rifles out there. Back in the 80's and 90's people called them junk. Looking at those "junk" rifles today you can appreciate just how nice they really are. The craftsmanship on the Chinese AK's is actually quite good when compared to the Egyptian and Romanian rifles we see today.

Today a decent entry AK is the WASR 10. Just be sure to look the rifle you're buying over for any minor defects such as canted sights or gas blocks. If they look true, the rifle should be a good shooter for you. Even if you get one with a few minor defects, you can easily set things right yourself with hand tools in most cases.

Boomstick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    Decent Ak's can be had like the above stated for $4-600, converted Saiga's run more and can be very nice, the older Yugo M70's are very nice but they have gotten expensive.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    If your talking currently manufactuered rifles, I would say middle of the road is an Arsenal SGL-21 which run about $800 to $1000.

Why do I say thats middle of road? Because you can get a WASR for $400, or you can spend big money for something custom. Or you can order something from Krebs/Ted Marshall and spend CRAZY money ;)

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I also like the Yugo M70AB2. I'd keep an eye on classifieds, local shops, and hit the gun shows. Egyptian Maadi's, Hungarian AK's, and Romanian SAR's are nice AK's too I believe.

^^This. If you can live with the strange cheek weld, the M70AB2 is better than average - strong, reliable, accurate, easy to work on, takes most AK aftermarket stuff. WASRs kick harder, in spite of the underfolder stock on the M70AB2. $450 (GRAB it at that price) to $650 or more. I'm in the process of upgrading my WASRs to M70s, so I'll have a couple for sale soon.

~STOLEN~

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Greenwood, Indiana
    Don't be so hard on yourself... A mak 90 is much better than "middle of the road". The craftsmanship is excellent and the heavy barrel is a nice feature. Ak's start in the middle of the road, and go up. By that i mean no matter what it'll shoot in the worst conditions. How nice you want it to look, what features it has, how authentic it is, are all variables you'll have to weigh.

My current recommendation based on the AK market is to buy a Saiga and convert it yourself. You can have a kick ass AK for the price of a Wasr. 4 years ago i would have told you to buy an arsenal SGL series.

Let us know what you're looking for and what is most important to you and we can steer you better.

ya what he said:rockwoot:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I just looked into this and bought my first AK.

I think the cupboard is relatively bare in the 500 to 650 range. At the bottom you have the WASRs at around 400, and at the top of production guns, you have the Arsenals at around $700.

Above Arsenal are several types stretching up to 2K to 3K.

Or you can buy a Saiga for $300, and covert it as vitamink suggests, and spend $450 or less and have something more in the $700 range in quality.

My middle of the road solution was to buy a WASR from my local gun shop. I was able to inspect it and it doesn't have the typical WASR issues. Also, I found out that my gun shop checks them all out and sends the bad ones back to Century. For that service and also to support my town's new gun shop, which is hugely convenient for me, I bought from them and paid $550. So, I got a middle of the road without hassle.

From what my research showed, the AKs that are priced in that middle area can have just as many issues as the Century rifles, just not quite as often.

I'm happy with my solution, as now I've added some accessories which as we all know, cost.

hillnc01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2012
    FT. Wayne
    Hey, thanks for all the great info guys... I really just want something reliable to shoot around at the range. Don't want to do a whole lot of upgrades to it, because I also want to purchase a Rock River AR sometime soon this year and would rather spend the money on that just in case things get crazy with the election coming up. It sounds like the WASR is the way I'll go. Anybody have a good place to pick one of these up for a good price?

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Again your simplest and cheapest route would be to get a saiga for $300 then buy this

CONVERSION KIT #1-CSS all Saiga 223, 7.62, 308, 5.45 Rifles and 410 & 20 Gauge Shotguns

all you need after that is a bullet guide.

So for $440 (going as cheap as possible) you can have a brand new russian 7.62 that'll run like a champ. Not trying to change your mind, just trying to show you your options.

Most gun stores carry wasrs in some capacity. I know BG firearms has a few as well as elmores. $450 seems to be the cheapest you can buy a wasr 10 from centerfire systems.
    Centerfire Systems - AK Firearms. The gun store will be a little more, but as dross says its good to support local business.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Again your simplest and cheapest route would be to get a saiga for $300 then buy this

CONVERSION KIT #1-CSS all Saiga 223, 7.62, 308, 5.45 Rifles and 410 & 20 Gauge Shotguns

all you need after that is a bullet guide.

So for $440 (going as cheap as possible) you can have a brand new russian 7.62 that'll run like a champ. Not trying to change your mind, just trying to show you your options.

Most gun stores carry wasrs in some capacity. I know BG firearms has a few as well as elmores. $450 seems to be the cheapest you can buy a wasr 10 from centerfire systems.
    Centerfire Systems - AK Firearms. The gun store will be a little more, but as dross says its good to support local business.
    Both have gone up a bit a uncoverted saiga's run about $600/650

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    When I wrote that in 2012 it was still a viable option.p when I wrote that in 2012 it was still a viable option. now it's not a good option at all. Since space and time have no meaning I suggest getting a Time Machine and going back in time and buying a Polytech legend

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    When I wrote that in 2012 it was still a viable option.p when I wrote that in 2012 it was still a viable option. now it's not a good option at all. Since space and time have no meaning I suggest getting a Time Machine and going back in time and buying a Polytech legend
    Ahh I see what happened there the undead post got me... that guy been at more than I thought

tommy1978guns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Bloomington
    While your back there pick me up a Bakelite sidefolder,a Clayco,and a double folder!:):

tommy1978guns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Bloomington
    Yeah I hear ya.I wonder how hard it was to find AKs in Indiana back in '85?I recently picked up a Polytech spiker off a guy and he still had the original receipt from when he bought it in '89.He paid $800 for it and 1K rds. of China sport ammo.With that kind of price tag and the "Commy gun"mentality I'm guessing not to many gun shops carried them.

Top Bottom