• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Are there any advantages having a milled receiver AK over a stamped receiver? Is the milled going to be anymore durable? Lets hear the pros and cons of both.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Milled receivers are MUCH heavier duty. Stamped receievers are just stamped from a flat piece of metal and are much lighter. Milled receivers are a thing of beauty.

Sporter - weigh in here.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Milled receivers are more durable, but IMO the average American semi-auto shooter won't put enough rounds through one on a harsh enough firing schedule to really see much of a functional difference between milled and stamped. Milled receivers are also heavier, more expensive, and use different furniture for which there are fewer options in the aftermarket.

They sure are sechsay, though. :wwub:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Milled receiver will last your lifetime, your kid's lifetime and your grandkid's lifetime and still be around. The stamped receiver is lighter, and will last through your grandkid's lifetime.

Truthfully it all comes down to which you like, and how much you are willing to spend because the milled models are more expensive.

Some say the milled are more accurate because they are stiffer, but Mr K didn't design his rifles to be target tack drivers but they do shoot minute of enemy combatant very nicely.

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    Pros: bang, bang, bang, bang. Cons: bang, bang, bang, bang. LOL

There are no Cons, if a person truly understands a very rudimentary and reliable carbine rifle, good up to 300 meters.

Designed and actually used for SHTF scenarios, not Camp Perry.

Lighter-stamped and heavier-milled, its really up to the use and the user.

I have owned both with good results. I currently own a stamped receiver AK, with a folding triangle stock. Very light and easy to carry.

Good luck in your choice.

Last edited:

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    I currently have a milled AK47 and a stamped AK74. I feel like the milled is a Cadillac and the stamped, while still nice, its no Caddy. I am trying to figure out if I need the milled AK or just sell it, buy a stamped and have a little cash left over. I reaaaally like the milled one though. Also, the milled has mag wobble and feels like a tank. I am afraid that if I sell the milled I will regret it. Decisions-decisions ......:smileak:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have to agree with you on that one, if you sell it you will likely regret it.

By the way, what model is your milled AK??? :D

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

If you sell it you will hate yourself forever. That is one of the best AKs ever made in my opinion.I used to have a couple and sold them both.I am back up to 5 AKs including a Maddi,Romanian,Mac 90,and a couple SLR-107Urs.I want a SLR-95 again.If you do decide to sell it let me know.

but if I where you I would keep it.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Oh man, I just googled the SLR107ur and that thing is begging to be turned into a SBR.. If I decide to part with mine I sure could use a 107ur....:):

.fourfive

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    bloomington, IN
    go with an sks, I like them a hell of a lot more than ak. but of course this is just my two cents.

go with an sks, I like them a hell of a lot more than ak. but of course this is just my two cents.

But of course i have never ran into a "slamfire" situation. that would probably ruin my love for the sks.

------------------------------------------------------------------
    we use to have signatures, now how the hell will you know who i am?

Last edited by a moderator:

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    milled stamped muddy sandy dirty pink gold covered with bacon grease..

it's an AK either way you cant go wrong...

Right, Milled or Stamped you will long be dead before it really matters.
    As far as its integrity to hold itself intact.

WAIT! were talking pros and cons....
    Im just being silly... LOL
    But i tell ya i would rather hold a stamped AK with 30 rds ready to go Vs a Milled with 30 rds.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    I think Milled is great looking, heavy duty, heavy, beautiful, work of art etc.
    However if I go to grab an AK, I grab for a stamped receiver (preferably Ak74/100 series type)Ak for actual use.

I have experience with and have owned both and I like stamped better. Milled is a piece of history.

Top Bottom