• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    If you have an AK set up for a triangle folder can you swap it out for a AK100 series folder? Will it line up?

IMG_7755.jpg

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Depends; is the triangle folder Bulgarian or Russian? If the latter, does it use the 4.5mm or 5.5mm hinge pin?

I have not bought any of the components yet. These are just pics I found on google. Which combination would work? Which is better, the 4.5 or 5.5?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    4.5 or 5.5 is the pin diameter of the hinge. Ideally you want the stock your swapping to have the same pin diameter so you just knock the pin out, swap stock, put pin back in.

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    it may use a different size hinge pin. 4.5mm or 5.5mm. that would be the only reason i can think of that it wouldnt work.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I have not bought any of the components yet. These are just pics I found on google.

OK. Just make sure your stocks and rear trunnion use the same hinge pin diameter. AFAIK, all the Bulgarians and the early Russians used the 4.5mm, while the later Russian triangles and the "Century Series" poly folders used 5.5mm. I'm not sure what size pin the K-VAR US-made poly folders use; I would ass-u-me 5.5mm as they are a copy of the Russian design.

Yeti

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    New Haven
    just to add to the discussion... If I buy an ak74 fixed stock, is it possible to change out the rear trunnion to make it an underfolder? (whether it is defined as a ak47 trunnion)

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    just to add to the discussion... If I buy an ak74 fixed stock, is it possible to change out the rear trunnion to make it an underfolder? (whether it is defined as a ak47 trunnion)

The receiver should be identical in between the 47 and 74.
    You'll need to drill the receiver for the cross bar on the underfolder.
    A side folder would work with no modification.

Yeti

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    New Haven
    The receiver should be identical in between the 47 and 74.
    You'll need to drill the receiver for the cross bar on the underfolder.
    awesome thanks.... uh, how hard is it to drill the hole? I would assume I would have to drill perpendicular to the receiver...

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    awesome thanks.... uh, how hard is it to drill the hole? I would assume I would have to drill perpendicular to the receiver...
    I've never done it before, but IIRC, AK receivers are hardened so it may be difficult to do. Take a look at a bare receiver made for an underfolder, then look at a normal receiver, you'll quickly see the difference and I'm sure you'll do one of two things. You will either just decide that a side-folder is easier, or you'll just buy an underfolder. I know that is what I would do.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Same here. I wouldn't attempt to swap to an underfolder. There's more to it than drilling 2 holes and none of it would be easy. I wouldn't take the chance of cobbling up an otherwise good gun.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US

Depends on which side folder we're talking about. The Century Series sidefolder shown in the OP would require (1) a different trunnion and (2) cuts to the receiver to accommodate the hinge, folding mechanism, and forward latch. The East German/Polish/Romanian single-strut folders fit the fixed-stock trunnion and are generally drop-in replacements (but are vastly inferior in terms of function and comfort).

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Depends on which side folder we're talking about. The Century Series sidefolder shown in the OP would require (1) a different trunnion and (2) cuts to the receiver to accommodate the hinge, folding mechanism, and forward latch. The East German/Polish/Romanian single-strut folders fit the fixed-stock trunnion and are generally drop-in replacements (but are vastly inferior in terms of function and comfort).

:yesway: Yep, I forgot...... I was thinking of the latter.

Top Bottom