• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oliver08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Grant county,IN
    I have been reading alot of threads and seen a lot of names used for the same firearm. WASR 10, Bulgarian, Yugo, Norinco, Romanian, and Arsenal. The WASR 10 is imported by Century(Im pretty sure). Someone said they where made in Romania,(I think). I know Norinco is made in China from my SKS. What i dont understand is who imports the rest and how they are different. Is it that the other importers build them right or something else. thanks for the info in advance.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Easy part first. There are no more imports of Norincos and Poly Technology(China) or Maadis (Egypt) since 1994 when our government and ATF decided that we can only import firearms that have a "sporting purpose". I like to call it "the sporting purpose clause" of the second amendment, also known as a major infringement. Also banned later were many Romanians (SAR series) and any other semi-auto AK variant that was all factory and had a standard size mag opening.

The rifle from the other countries that are currently imported come in with a mag well opening that only accepts single stack "sporting" mags. The importer or distributer then opens the mag well to accept a standard AK mag, but then to keep it a "sporting weapon" they have to remove several parts and replace them with US made parts so that there are no more than 10 imported parts in the rifle. More than 10 imported parts is currently called a "semi-automatic assault weapon" which as we all know doesn't exist, but since ATF makes the calls, is illegal. 10 imported parts or less makes it a sporting weapon importable again under the sporting clause of the second amendment. (again which we all know doesn't exist)

There is one rifle currently imported from Hungary, the AMD-65 that has a Hungarian "FEG" receiver that many of us are trying to figure out if it is coming in with a standard receiver since the mag well looks to be stamped and not milled open.

Many of the rifles you come across now that are current production are US made, while a good thing does lead to some quality issues as some builders aren't as careful as others.

The most popular is the WASR series, which is a Century import and comes in all Romanian with a "sporting" single stack mag opening. It is then opened to accept the standard mag, and the parts count set to meet the 10 imported parts max rule. Those rifles vary from pure junk to true AKM reliability. Being able to handle and inspect them is really important.

Others from Arsenal are considered the higher end of the current generation AKs, but they too have had a run of bad luck not too long ago.

If you ask around, you will find everyone has their idea as to which are the best. Many times it comes down to how well built the rifle is, and if you like the way it looks.

There are a couple of websites dedicated to AKs. They have forums set up for each of the AK variants. I suggest checking them as a reference, and of course, come back here to your home site with more knowledge. :D

Last edited:

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    The AK-47 semi-auto and auto rifle mechanism is probably the most widely manufactured in the world. Every third world country, most second world countries, and even some first world countries have made these things in great numbers. It's the poor man's assault rifle, globally speaking...and they can take a beating.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm not saying they are the best, but I own a Maadi ARM (Egyptian). Honestly it's the most accurate AK I have shot. That is from my personal experience.

Oliver08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Grant county,IN
    Thank you all for your replies. indykid, that is the exact info I needed. one last thing can any one give me an approxamite price range for all of the firearms indykid lsted as NON-imported. If they arn't coming in then i want to start there, if I can find them. Thank you.

sajnaj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2010
    bfe rockville in
    go with a saiga and don"t look back. it is the only ak variant that is made in Russia in the same factory where the original was produced. and what impressed me the most about my saiga is the accuracy.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    To check prices for the various AKs, I suggest using Gunbroker. Many of the prices are on the high end, especially the Poly Techs.

You can pretty much search by "Norinco", "Maadi" or even the country. Limit it to modern firearms. Also many people don't realize that Poly Tech (Poly Technologies) is two words so also search "polytech".

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Thank god for INDYKID... i read the OP and considered posting but then thought, "this'll take an hour and a half to explain and i really need to poop" There are a lot of folks on here with top notch insight and information. Luckily some were paying attention. Should shooter 512 pop in, listen to what he says as well. Kudos for all the good 411.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    I own a wasr 10. Most Ak "experts" will tell you they are garbage. Im not saying they are perfect, but ive NEVER had a problem with it. It fires just as accurate and reliable dirty as hell as it does brand new. I got mine for $475 in muncie at dunhams. The ONLY negative ive found with it is that it does have some mag wobble with the stock metal magazines. (because century arms got them as 10 rounders, then cut out the stamped metal to fit a 30 rounder) This problem is easily solved with tapco magazines. It doesnt bother me at all, I havent even messed with it.

When (if) you get yours (before you pay $$) make sure you check the front sight, make sure it isnt crooked to the left or right. Also, make sure when you pull back and release the cocking handle that it goes all the way back and all the way forward in one fluid motion. Its rare, but some stick. Ive never seen it, but its been reported.

Like I said, ive never had any problems. I get lots of compliments on it and trust me, it shoots accurate as hell. I can shoot coke cans at 100 yards easy. If you want to spend $800+ on an AK, go for it. Id rather spend more money on an ar15 than an ak.

have a good one!

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I own a wasr 10. Most Ak "experts" will tell you they are garbage.

I would think most "experts" would tell you that are a good cheap entry level AK, will eat anything you feed it, and run just as well as any other AK, at least thats what Ive read a lot of. ;)

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    I would think most "experts" would tell you that are a good cheap entry level AK, will eat anything you feed it, and run just as well as any other AK, at least thats what Ive read a lot of. ;)

I totally agree with that description of a wasr. I feel like they are treated like glocks. Efficient, effective, form following function (in my eyes) but to others they just blow up and are ugly and shoot like crap (i dont know what these people are on but pass it here!)

Ive never read anyone saying they are OK. Wasr 10s are either perfect and the owner loves them, or its the biggest waste of money they ever spent. Im the first one. Similarly, I think glocks are some of the best handguns ever invented, but others wouldnt carry one if you paid them. Personal preff I guess.

Just giving an observation of google/forum/friend comments ive heard since before I got mine.

It will never be as perfect as a high grade AR15, but thats why they rock. They arent tight fitting precision milled guns, in fact they are pretty damn loose. You can literally put mud in them (dont do that on purpose, i am not responsible) and they will not jam. I read a review, this dude put one in the back of his pickup. Left it for a month in salt sand dirt water in negative degree wether. He went out, hit it out of the ice with a rubber mallot, put a clip in, and shot a nice tight grouping at 100 yards. Im not saying ARs jam frequently or easy, but I would bet my life if you had one ak in the mud and one ar15 in the mud and we had to battle, id be running for the ak every time.

IMHO, its one of the best purchases ive ever made, for others its a clunky ugly commie gun. :dunno:

My friend adam shot it. He has a decently extensive experience with all types of guns. He said "Holy crap, man I cant believe how accurate these stamped guns are." after shooting almost an entire clip within one ring from the bulls eye @100 yards w/ iron sights. He also said hes shot aks before and loved the tapco trigger they come with now.

Good luck!

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    There is one rifle currently imported from Hungary, the AMD-65 that has a Hungarian "FEG" receiver that many of us are trying to figure out if it is coming in with a standard receiver since the mag well looks to be stamped and not milled open.

my AMD-65 is on a FEG made in Hungary receiver, and you can tell it has been machined out at the mag well to accept double stacks. the rest of the receiver is painted and the inside of the magwell is shiny. great little rifle though. Im impressed with it, and they can be found cheap.

I fed it everything from cheap to good ammo and it always came back and said " yum , yum, more please"

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    I own a wasr 10. Most Ak "experts" will tell you they are garbage. Im not saying they are perfect, but ive NEVER had a problem with it. It fires just as accurate and reliable dirty as hell as it does brand new. I got mine for $475 in muncie at dunhams. The ONLY negative ive found with it is that it does have some mag wobble with the stock metal magazines. (because century arms got them as 10 rounders, then cut out the stamped metal to fit a 30 rounder) This problem is easily solved with tapco magazines. It doesnt bother me at all, I havent even messed with it.

When (if) you get yours (before you pay $$) make sure you check the front sight, make sure it isnt crooked to the left or right. Also, make sure when you pull back and release the cocking handle that it goes all the way back and all the way forward in one fluid motion. Its rare, but some stick. Ive never seen it, but its been reported.

Like I said, ive never had any problems. I get lots of compliments on it and trust me, it shoots accurate as hell. I can shoot coke cans at 100 yards easy. If you want to spend $800+ on an AK, go for it. Id rather spend more money on an ar15 than an ak.

have a good one!

I've got one too and I don't regret the purchase. Common complaints used to be sloppy mag wells leading to mag wobble on steel mags, canted sights, and trigger slap. The trigger slap issue has been fixed for a few years because Century switched to a tapco trigger. New WASRs with mag wobble and canted sights are harder to find than new WASRs without those without problems. If the gun was 2 to 4 years old, then I'd be mored worried about it having those issues.

Also if you plan on purchasing one from Dunhams, it seems like they run sales on firearms once a month or so... Their current ad (at least in my neck of the woods) shows the WASR-10 double stack rifles on sale for $379.99.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I own two WASR-10/63s. The first one I bought did a fair amount of double-feeding until I figured out how to lube it, straightened out some magazine issues, and it hit about 500 rounds. Since then, it's performed flawlessly. I recently bought an underfolder model, and, aside from a bit of mag-wobble with steel-magazines - which doesn't happen with TAPCO mags - it's shot flawlessly out of the box.

If you want generic information on the genre, check out:

AK-47 information, bayonets, ammo and magazines

The AK Forum

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Just wanted to let you know that this "so-called expert" owns two WASR models, one of which is one of the first imported and still in single stack form. Like anything else made by human beings, you can find good ones and bad ones. Luckily most are good ones. You hear a lot about bad ones but only because most people like to complain about the bad rather than brag about the good. Human nature.

A little history about AK variants in this country, with the exception of the SAR-1 which was a true military issue rifle, used by Romanian trainees, all other AK variants were and are commercially made rifles. The Chinese really went all out in the late 1980s trying to figure out which configuration would sell in the US. There were so many variations of each that you really can't make any generalization about them other than saying most were of very good quality, with great triggers.

Today's AKs are severely limited by ATF stepping all over our rights by using import restrictions as a way to infringe on our second amendment. All imports are made using single stack mag wells to meet that sporting purpose, even though many "hunting weapons" use double stack mags. Many are sent in here as parts only and then assembled on US receivers. Again, some good, some not so good. Asking questions before buying is very important in making a good decission.

Today's WASRs can be found with commercial receivers, but actual military parts built up from unissued Romanian weapons.

If you don't mind an odd version of the AK, Centerfire has a great deal on the AMD-65. I enjoy the AMD-65 because it is a light weight, compact weapon and works well with my Norinco 100 round drums. Some people don't like it because of the stock, but I learned to shoot a long time ago without welding my cheek to the stock, which sounds very painful! :D
    AK AMD 65 Rifle Part #AKAGUN-AMD

As to which country was/is best, again personal preference. Some swear by Maadis because they were built on Russian made machinery. The early ones were top notch commercial copies of the AKM, later ones deteriorated slightly, mostly in the rifle finish. Later ones imported by Century can be found with the wonderful Century fire control group noted for trigger slap. An easy fix either with a dremel or Tapco replacement parts.

Some people swear by the Chinese, who really wanted to get US dollars as we know so well from their other sales here. It is unfortunate that they were banned because they had some really nice commercial versions of their military rifles.

The Europeans have some great ones, with the Bulgarians known for their milled receiver models, and the Hungarians for their attention to detail. The Romanians on the other hand stayed with rifles that some were but most just looked like their issue weapons, and unlike the USA with our fixation for looks, they just put them together for function, so crooked gas and sight blocks made them famous.

Anyway, as I said earlier, checking the auction boards to get an idea of asking prices is a good idea. Also search the closed auctions to see what the rifles actually sold for.

And above all, don't be afraid to ask questions. I have seen many Chinese rifles being advertised as "pre-ban" when in fact they were either the "caught in port" modified or true post-Bush-ban which even though are still great rifles, do not command the higher price of the early ones.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Some people swear by the Chinese, who really wanted to get US dollars as we know so well from their other sales here. It is unfortunate that they were banned because they had some really nice commercial versions of their military rifles.

I wonder if this ak is chinese... who knows... but hey its a pretty crazy video regardless LOL

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjQY1Jahhas]YouTube - AK Kaboom[1].flv[/ame]

And above all, don't be afraid to ask questions..

+1 When I purchased my wasr, dunhams had floor models. When it came time to actually get mine, they brought out a box and started paperwork. The guy opened the box in his direction to get the serial numbers then closed it up right away. I told him (politely), that I was not paying for that until I got a chance to take a look at it. The sights were perfect, charging handle moves as designed, it had the new tapco trigger on it, and the mag wobble was minimal (if you get one without some mag wobble consider yourself VERY lucky). Like I said before, tapco plastic mags solve this problem (on hi cap 30 round mags only I believe, I didnt notice any mag wobble with the 10 my buddy has). Anyway, it all checked out.

lessons:

ask ask ask
    inspect weapon fully before buying, no matter how excited you are (I have a BIG problem with this step, but I try)
    If you get the 30rd model, invest in a couple tapco mags

Things to look for:

front sight to the left or right
    frozen charging handle, most likely in the middle of the forward and backward action.
    Tapco trigger (the older ones would really hurt your finger)
    mag wobble (this is normal on 30 round hi cap models, although it shouldn't be so bad that the magazine falls out or literally swings back and fourth.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom