• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Toolepqk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.3%
    52   2   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Ive got a saiga 7.62 and I've been thinking about threading the barrel. I have found the threading kit online. Does anybody have experience doing this?

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    lots of oil dont try to cut it in one past 1/4 turn or less and back off the die (clears the chips out) its not hard just make it easy on your self and use the alignment tool to keep it straight

happyfiero

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Campbellsburg IN.
    never threaded a saiga But have done a SKS.
    you need a vice.
    there are some good U tube videos .
    Buy good split Die and TAT
    1 wrap barrel and place in vice
    2 place Die in handle any writing towards the Work.
    3 thread the TAT in to the Die, with 3 0r so threads open
    4 plug the Barrel with a cleaning patch ,push couple inch into end .
    5 Oil the barrel end and the TAT.
    6 insert the guide end of TAT into muzzle .
    7 WITH a steady and even pressure turn 180 stop / back 90
    do this 2 full turns the stop . un thread
    the set out and thread the TAT 2 more threads higher.
    wipe off chips , oil everything !!!
    place back in slowly threading it back to where you stopped.
    Repeat 7 untill you have to remove the TAT.
    then finish treading without the TAT.
    thats the basic
    Picture005.jpg

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Check and see if it's threaded first by cutting the shroud back. I believe the correct pitch is 14/1 lh. The last 3 I've cut off were threaded. Only 1 saiga was not. My luck is stellar. Another member is currently borrowing my threading set, but when he's done you're welcome tO it as well as my tube cutter for the shroud.

Toolepqk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.3%
    52   2   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Check and see if it's threaded first by cutting the shroud back. I believe the correct pitch is 14/1 lh. The last 3 I've cut off were threaded. Only 1 saiga was not. My luck is stellar. Another member is currently borrowing my threading set, but when he's done you're welcome tO it as well as my tube cutter for the shroud.

Thank you very much for the offer. I think I can see the start of a thread but not sure. I also do believe I have a military barrel based on what I've read to look for. Again, I'm new to the saiga rifle so not entirely sure. It has the bevel on the barrel, notches for the handguards ect.

I'm picking up a flash hider tomorrow to measure the length of the threads before I cut. Hopefully it is threaded, if not I would greatly appreciate being able to use your threading tool. Thanks

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I would wait until you cut it to buy a hider. There are more than 5 different pitches for AKs if you buy the wrong one you're stuck.

jeepville

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    New Castle
    I have his tools and they are available for borrow. I am finished I just haven't found time to meet with vitamink again.

I have done 2 saigas and would be happy to help you if you want help. I didnt use a vice and everything turned out fine. Both of them were not threaded.

Toolepqk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.3%
    52   2   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    I have his tools and they are available for borrow. I am finished I just haven't found time to meet with vitamink again.

I have done 2 saigas and would be happy to help you if you want help. I didnt use a vice and everything turned out fine. Both of them were not threaded.

How far back did you cut the shroud on your 2 saiga?

Toolepqk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.3%
    52   2   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    The one that vitamink has is a split die. It is like new I have only used it 2x before that it was brand new. It is 14/1 Left Hand.

I'm going to remove the shroud tomorrow evening, if it's not threaded I would be interested in borrowing the threading tool. Possibly have you help since you have threaded 2 already, if you don't mind. Thanks

Toolepqk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.3%
    52   2   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    I got the shroud off tonight. The barrel is not threaded. I planned on having to thread it but it would have been nice had it been.

Toolepqk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.3%
    52   2   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    I got the barrel threaded today. I took my time but overall it was fairly simple. I oiled everything good and went slow. The flash hider threads on perfect and is indexed correctly. Thanks again for the help, I will be returning the borrowed tools shortly.

Top Bottom