• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kimbld89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    So I have grown up around guns my whole life but never been into rifles until recently. I am looking to buy either and AR or AK in the very near future and would greatly appreciate opinions. I am sold on the AR15 at the moment but have never shot an AK. Recommendations? Recommendations for good shops in Indy to buy from? Thanks!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    So I have grown up around guns my whole life but never been into rifles until recently. I am looking to buy either and AR or AK in the very near future and would greatly appreciate opinions. I am sold on the AR15 at the moment but have never shot an AK. Recommendations? Recommendations for good shops in Indy to buy from? Thanks!

What is your goal? AR is more versitile. Used to be that AK's were cheaper, but not so much any more. I, personally, would suggest an AR first. An AR provides a wider range of fun, adaptability and short/long range accuracy.

Then get 3 AK's later! :ar15:

But, an AK as your first rifle will limit you and might be a frustrating experience.

kimbld89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    My goal is to own a dependable and accurate rifle that is realtively easy to maintain and personalize. Also I want to be able to afford it. At this point I am leaning towards the AR but I cant afford a Colt or Bushmaster.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The AR in my opinion would be a better gun to start off with. Definitely more versatile and with the explosion of companies making them and parts for them you can't go wrong. You could buy one basic rifle and them buy different uppers, stocks, sights, etc to suit your needs. Aks are fun, a blast to shoot and almost indestructible. But they are also limited as to what you can do with them as far as changing bbls, stocks, etc. Both are good weapons, but the AR is just so darned versatile. :twocents:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    My goal is to own a dependable and accurate rifle that is realtively easy to maintain and personalize. Also I want to be able to afford it. At this point I am leaning towards the AR but I cant afford a Colt or Bushmaster.

How much money do you have for the project?

kimbld89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I would like to keep it under 900 (hard to do with prices today I know) for the rifle and then mods will come later.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    You should be able to get into a nice AR for 900. Call some of the INGO site supporters and I'm sure they'd be glad to get you started.

kimbld89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Thanks for your help! Would it be any cheaper to build one myself assuming I can find the parts?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Personally if you are not familiar with the system and are just starting out I would suggest buying a complete gun. If you were already experienced with the gun and felt confident in your skills you could buy the parts and assemble one yourself and save some dough. But if you're just starting out buy a complete gun that is known to work and function properly. Just my $.02

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Thanks for your help! Would it be any cheaper to build one myself assuming I can find the parts?

During normal times yes. Even ordering a complete upper separate from a complete lower gives savings too, normally. But today the problem is supply and if you can get a complete rifle for the right price, take it.

Now, the second one you do will be a parts job for sure! :rockwoot:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    PM Britton here. He will give you good honest advice. And give you a good deal.

I just got my first AR. Very complicated piece of equipment compared to the AK I built. Both are fine guns.

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    You really need to ask yourself why do you want the gun.... if you plan to compete with it and shoot long range and have your buddies look at it and say WOW thats purdy then you should buy and AR.

I have 2 AKs because they will shoot crap ammo all the time, every time and I have never had a time that it didn't go bang when I pulled the trigger.

I don't plan on having a bad guy tell me what a nice looking gun I have, if it's pointing at them it's because I plan to defend me and mine and if I have to pull the trigger it will go bang.

Here is one of mine.

AKS005.jpg

AKS001.jpg

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    You really need to ask yourself why do you want the gun.... if you plan to compete with it and shoot long range and have your buddies look at it and say WOW thats purdy then you should buy and AR.

I have 2 AKs because they will shoot crap ammo all the time, every time and I have never had a time that it didn't go bang when I pulled the trigger.

I don't plan on having a bad guy tell me what a nice looking gun I have, if it's pointing at them it's because I plan to defend me and mine and if I have to pull the trigger it will go bang.

I own both (2 AR's and 3 AK's to be exact) and my soft spot is for the AK. I agree that the AK will go and go and go. But at the same time, out past a certain range the AR is simply more fun. And in my experience, most Ak's I see on the line are never much fun past 75 yards. And, repair has a good example of blinging out an Ak there!

As for one being more perfect than the other, not really. I have locked up AR's with lack of careful cleaning, had an AR have a gas tube failure and neither of these has been a problem with ANY AK I have ever owned. On the other hand, my newest AK came with a shattered sear straight out of the box from Arsenal (teaches me to spend 2x as much for brand name!). And, to be clear, my AK's are awesome barricade guns and in SHTF would be a prime choice, but the AR's WAY WAY outshoot them and nothing is more frustrating than not hitting when you are at the range!

I have both, and prefer the AK at a viceral level and have one as my behind the door gun, but stick by my advise for an AR as a first black rifle. You will learn more and be frustrated less. :twocents:

Oh, and if this is picture time:

akar.jpg

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I own both (2 AR's and 3 AK's to be exact) and my soft spot is for the AK. I agree that the AK will go and go and go. But at the same time, out past a certain range the AR is simply more fun. And in my experience, most Ak's I see on the line are never much fun past 75 yards. And, repair has a good example of blinging out an Ak there!

As for one being more perfect than the other, not really. I have locked up AR's with lack of careful cleaning, had an AR have a gas tube failure and neither of these has been a problem with ANY AK I have ever owned. On the other hand, my newest AK came with a shattered sear straight out of the box from Arsenal (teaches me to spend 2x as much for brand name!). And, to be clear, my AK's are awesome barricade guns and in SHTF would be a prime choice, but the AR's WAY WAY outshoot them and nothing is more frustrating than not hitting when you are at the range!

I have both, and prefer the AK at a viceral level and have one as my behind the door gun, but stick by my advise for an AR as a first black rifle. You will learn more and be frustrated less. :twocents:

Oh, and if this is picture time:

akar.jpg

Pictures are great!

I agree with everything that you said 100%.

I have to keep telling myself that I don't need an AR:D

BTW as I reread my post it sounds kinda crappy, thats not how I ment it.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    AKS001.jpg

But that's a pretty AK. ;)

I went through the same thing. Always wanted a FAL. Not much of an AR fan. AKs were ok. I walked away from the $279 WASRs at Dunham's. I figured I had plenty of time to pick one up. (Wrong.)

My first was a good deal on a Bushmaster AR. I eventually ended up with a FAL too, have a Saiga I'm rebuilding to a correct Russian AK form and have another AR lower on order.

For the first gun, go with one that is built and functioning. Nothing wrong with an AK though the prices are higher now than I think they should be (or should I say, are worth.)

If you get a chance, try both an AK and AR. Whichever leaves a smile on your face longer is the rifle for you. A couple of boxes of 7.62x39 and .223 at an INGO shoot - I guarantee you would have to chance to try both.

One upside to an AR is the availability of .22 conversion kits pretty cheaply. Avoid a .308 platform as a first/only EBR due to ammo costs.

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    For the first gun, go with one that is built and functioning. Nothing wrong with an AK though the prices are higher now than I think they should be (or should I say, are worth.)

If you get a chance, try both an AK and AR. Whichever leaves a smile on your face longer is the rifle for you. A couple of boxes of 7.62x39 and .223 at an INGO shoot - I guarantee you would have to chance to try both.

Well I can help with some of that.

If you want to buy some ammo you can shoot my AK but I don't have an AR for you to try.

Top Bottom