• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    You really need to ask yourself why do you want the gun.... if you plan to compete with it and shoot long range and have your buddies look at it and say WOW thats purdy then you should buy and AR.

I have 2 AKs because they will shoot crap ammo all the time, every time and I have never had a time that it didn't go bang when I pulled the trigger.

I don't plan on having a bad guy tell me what a nice looking gun I have, if it's pointing at them it's because I plan to defend me and mine and if I have to pull the trigger it will go bang.

Nice looking gun there my friend. I'm not going to get into the AKvsAR debate b/c it gets to nasty. I own ARs and AKs, my mostest favoite rifles remain my M1As btw, and love them both. The OP asked which he should get first, I think. While your points on the AK are valid I just think the AR is a better starting platform and has more versatility. Although you seem to have modded your AK quite well. I tried to burn up an AK once when they were about $298 for a Norinco folder and ammo was around $100 for 1200 rounds, yeah I'm old! I had 3 75rd drums and a pile of 30rd mags loaded up. So we start shooting this thing non stop, started with the drums and worked our way through the 30 rounders. We took turns firing and loading mags. The inside of the wooden hand guards caught fire so I threw the gun in the creek to put the fire out and started shooting again. It caught fire after another drum or so and back in the creek it went. The nylon M16 sling on it started melting but we kept on shooting. After 1200 rounds as fast as we could shoot and several trips in the creek the thing looked new when disassembled, except for the charred hand guards and melted sling of course. The bbl wasn't even discolored and the bore was shiny and bright. I WOULD NEVER try that with an AR. I like them both, the AK is a tough old mule and the AR is more of a show pony. This is all just my :twocents:

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Nice looking gun there my friend. I'm not going to get into the AKvsAR debate b/c it gets to nasty. I own ARs and AKs, my mostest favoite rifles remain my M1As btw, and love them both. The OP asked which he should get first, I think. While your points on the AK are valid I just think the AR is a better starting platform and has more versatility. Although you seem to have modded your AK quite well. I tried to burn up an AK once when they were about $298 for a Norinco folder and ammo was around $100 for 1200 rounds, yeah I'm old! I had 3 75rd drums and a pile of 30rd mags loaded up. So we start shooting this thing non stop, started with the drums and worked our way through the 30 rounders. We took turns firing and loading mags. The inside of the wooden hand guards caught fire so I threw the gun in the creek to put the fire out and started shooting again. It caught fire after another drum or so and back in the creek it went. The nylon M16 sling on it started melting but we kept on shooting. After 1200 rounds as fast as we could shoot and several trips in the creek the thing looked new when disassembled, except for the charred hand guards and melted sling of course. The bbl wasn't even discolored and the bore was shiny and bright. I WOULD NEVER try that with an AR. I like them both, the AK is a tough old mule and the AR is more of a show pony. This is all just my :twocents:

I agree the ARs are sexy beasts. :D

Chipslinger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Burning the hand guards up and throwing it in the creek.. THATS AWESOME! Ak's are by far more indestructable than an AR. But when it comes to hitting the target down range the AR will win. I have never shot an AK chambered in .223. Just curious on the accuracy difference between AK's chambered in 7.62x39 and .223?

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    My goal is to own a dependable and accurate rifle that is realtively easy to maintain and personalize. Also I want to be able to afford it. At this point I am leaning towards the AR but I cant afford a Colt or Bushmaster.

Never owned an AK but I've heard they are fine. However, the AR is another story. As far as maintenance is concerned, they are a breeze. Very short learning curve as far as fieldstripping and reassembly. Colt and Bushies can be expensive, but there are many others offering reliability and more attainable pricing.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    What is your goal? AR is more versitile. Used to be that AK's were cheaper, but not so much any more. I, personally, would suggest an AR first. An AR provides a wider range of fun, adaptability and short/long range accuracy.

Then get 3 AK's later! :ar15:

But, an AK as your first rifle will limit you and might be a frustrating experience.

Of course the AK also has the stellar endorsement of terrorists across the globe and many 3rd World nations!

rec3indy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Both are great guns if you get good ones. My 1st AR I cheaped out on and was very disapointed. I replaced it with a good Rock River for just under 1000 a year ago and I love it. I have a great MAK 90 (AK variant) that I love also. If you want something to gussy up and show off at the range, drive tacks at 100 yds, etc... go with the AR. If you want a SHTF weapon that you can drag through 10 miles of crap and still shoot man sized targets at a couple hundred yds and less then you will be better off with the AK. Just spend the extra buck and get something good. It will be cheaper in the long run, and a lot less frustrating.

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    I was in your same shoes a few years ago. I had shot AR's and AK's though. My dad has had an AR and and AK for as long as i can remember. It all really boils down to what you want to do with the gun. If you are on a budget and like to shoot a lot then i would get an AK-74 not the AK-47. The 5.45 ammo that the 74 shoots is much cheaper than 7.62 or 5.56.

I went the the AR as my first choice since i was going to build it myself to safe money. If you are mechanically inclined and have the ability to follow some online directions you can build an AR. Its very simple. If you want an AR for the cheap you could get a used M16-A2 upper half from the gun shows for around 300 and then assemble the lower yourself. I bought some used and new when i built mine and it shoots great.

bottom line:
    Cheap to shoot and durable as hell = AK-74 (5.45)
    Mid expense level durable as hell= AK-47 (7.62)
    High Expense and most expensive= AR-15 (5.56)

something to consider is the AR-15 with a 5.45 upper. It will be way cheaper than shooting 5.56 (223).

AR-15's can run everything from 22LR, 9mm, 40cal, 50beowulf, 458socom, 6.8spc, 6.5Grendel, 450Bushmaster, 7.62X39, 45acp, 50AE, 300whisper.
    There are tons of different calibers that the AR can be chambered in.

Best of luck.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    I think the versatility of the AR is probably it's best selling point. You can do sooooooo much to them. However the AK you can buried it and dig it up 20 years later and shoot it like the day you buried it. My personal choice is a AR. I got one from Class 3 sales in New Carlysle while I was at the gun show and it has been great. Not to bust on colt by any means but I went out with my buddy and his colt. Needless to say the colt was purchased in '94 and shot only once and cleaned less than that. It failed to eject several times. This was mostly because it still had the factory grease on it. We brought it back to my house, cleaned the hell out of it. took apart the extractor and took it back out and it shot like a charm. But shooting mine that was $880 new, then shooting his which went for over $1000 there was absolutely no difference. I'm sure the internals are a little bit different but seems the same for now.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Go with the AR. I agree with Techres. You buy the first one complete and you won't have it long until you are buying parts to build your next one.
    Accuracy = AR
    Versatility = AR
    Value = AR With the market doing what it has lately your dollars are better spent on an AR. When the market corrects, those who are buying AK's now are going to feel sick that they spent so much on one.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Man, not to step on toes but I couldn't make it through post 19 or 20 without puking!

bunny.jpg

lpso708

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2008
    I have built 5 so far in my life. I find you can have it you way without buying one then getting add ons later. Why not get what you want first time around. Also you will have fun doing it an learn the Ar in an out. But I get pride when I do it myself and save $

kimbld89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    So guys after a lot of help on comparing and contrasting the ar vs. ak...I decided to buy both. I bought a WASR and a DPMS. Might as well check them both out and since it looks like they are both good to have why not right? Thanks for all the help. Hopefully after this weekend I will have my own opinion on which I like better

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    If you want to spray something with bullets. Go with the AK. If you actually want to shoot something, then go with the AR.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    If you want to spray something with bullets. Go with the AK. If you actually want to shoot something, then go with the AR.

I wish I had an AK that was "real" enough to have the "spray" option. Mine are a semi-auto and so I have to just "shoot" the old fashion way.

Maybe some day I will win the lottery and get a select fire one...

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Get a DPMS AR. Even a NATO sportical will be a good gun for under around 700-800 depending on where you look. If your lucky you may be able to get a standard classic 16 or classic 20 for around that price as well.

I picked up a NATO sportical about a month ago. its served well and has proven to be accurate, as well as reliable with XM193 ball and both kinds of 223 that i have access to.

With a millet DMS scope, it makes a fine poodle shooter and varmint hunter. it does everything i need. :)

The Sportical has really wet my whistle for the AR. Im saving up for a Saber Defence M5 now, and will make my DPMs into a project gun when that materializes.

Top Bottom