• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    hard to compare a real assault rifle to a semi auto sorta-clone from new hampshire. The AK47 is a select fire weapon used all over the planet even now despite the fact that most were made in the 50's and 60's. The AKM took over long ago...
    The 556 is a pretty poor copy of an excellent rifle made in Switzerland and is only semi auto. What sort of comparison do you really want to do? If you can sell it for 3 times what you paid for it sell it and buy another later. Its not really collectable or anything.....

Frank

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    the 556r takes AK mags and is chambered in 7.62x39..........

my opinion, from all of the issues that seem to be associated with the 556r, I would flip it for that kind of coin.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I own a Sig 556. And I've owned an ak47 (and liked it). The Sig is hands down the best weapon. I've probably shot 20k rounds through it without a hitch. It's smoother, easier to aim, more accurate and built tough. It will put any of the 5.56/223 variants out there to shame and I would certainly take it over the AK. I cant say for sure about the R version but i imagine it is no different than the regular. The 556 is my long gun of choice for when im on duty, because I want something that is unfailing.

Bottlefed

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Hamilton county
    I'm just wondering accuracy and reliability. I've got several ar's and ak's to be honest I've never seemed to have either that can shot as well as my m1 garande or as smooth as my stg 58. Maybe I'm just chasing a unicorn but I was hoping to get a 762.39 gun that shoots better than 2inch's at 150yds. I prefer the ak over the ar but I'm just looking for accuracy that it can't do at least in my old hands.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I own a Sig 556. And I've owned an ak47 (and liked it). The Sig is hands down the best weapon. I've probably shot 20k rounds through it without a hitch. It's smoother, easier to aim, more accurate and built tough. It will put any of the 5.56/223 variants out there to shame and I would certainly take it over the AK. I cant say for sure about the R version but i imagine it is no different than the regular. The 556 is my long gun of choice for when im on duty, because I want something that is unfailing.

Had a SIG 556 and yes it is a good weapon, but it has a lot of limitations. Mine was awesome and had all Swiss internals and Swiss made gas-block. The newer US made 556s pale in comparison to the older ones. The other problem with 556s that I wrestled with is what if something broke on it. Back-up parts are hard to find and crazy expensive(i.e. bolt, gas block, bolt carrier). My 556 was no more reliable then my Noveske, LMT, Spikes, Colt or Stag ARs.

SIGnature45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    South Bend
    Had a SIG 556 and yes it is a good weapon, but it has a lot of limitations. Mine was awesome and had all Swiss internals and Swiss made gas-block. The newer US made 556s pale in comparison to the older ones. The other problem with 556s that I wrestled with is what if something broke on it. Back-up parts are hard to find and crazy expensive(i.e. bolt, gas block, bolt carrier). My 556 was no more reliable then my Noveske, LMT, Spikes, Colt or Stag ARs.

I also had one and sold it. Good point about the parts. I have to say though I do love sigs. What are you using it for? If you even have the thought of using it for any type of home defense don't even think about the ak. The general public aka jury has such a negative view on those. Otherwise it's a toss up on reliability. I would enjoy the sig more personally.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I don't have an "R", just the regular Sig 556, all of my AK and AR type weapons have been moved to the back of the line. I still train with them all, but my goto is the Sig. We have sold a lot of the new generation R models lately and pretty much everyone is happy with them. That being said, if you haven't even shot it yet and someone wants to give you $3,000+ plus for it, well, thats tempting.

Bottlefed

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Hamilton county
    I keep an 454 casul Alaskan and an hk p7 next to my bed for home protection. I was just looking as a cheaper ammo rifle to shoot. I also want to get into 1 caliber of ammo. I sold all my ar's but a 308 I have and I now have 2500rds of 223 brass I end up shooting in my bolt action rifles. For all you ak guys how well does the rail attachments hold zero on the ak's side mount?

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I keep an 454 casul Alaskan and an hk p7 next to my bed for home protection.

454 casul...good lord man, is that incase a rhinoceros gets inside the house?

I was just looking as a cheaper ammo rifle to shoot. I also want to get into 1 caliber of ammo. I sold all my ar's but a 308 I have and I now have 2500rds of 223 brass I end up shooting in my bolt action rifles. For all you ak guys how well does the rail attachments hold zero on the ak's side mount?

The RUSSIAN side mounts function and hold zero very well. I would recommend RS regulate side mounts if you want a well made american made piece that will hold american optics at the lowest point possible on the AK.

rj74_new1.jpg

Back on topic... I'd sell the gun.

swissrifles1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Near South Bend
    Both awesome rifles, but I love my Sig 556. Great trigger, low recoil, smooth operating and have never had an issue with it . Mine is the 223/556 model. I have heard that the R model has had some issues?.

US187-1.jpg

Top Bottom