• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    Where can l get a real ak47, i see alot of copies and people tell me its a ak they can be dumped in mud and it will fire, so is it better to get a real ak or can somebody recommend some good ak makes

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Where can l get a real ak47, i see alot of copies and people tell me its a ak they can be dumped in mud and it will fire, so is it better to get a real ak or can somebody recommend some good ak makes

First, you have to define "real AK". What model (and caliber), variation, make, etc.

As for brands / makes - there's plenty to choose from, but a lot of us like the Saiga conversions. Also Waffen Works, Vepr, Arsenal are good builds.

Century and IO tend to fall at the bottom.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Most of the rifles you see are AKMs (AK-47 Type 4) with the stamped receivers. AK-47s with the milled receivers were used in Type 1-3.

VEPR and Arsenal are nice but expensive. Century guns are hit or BIG miss. Waffen Werks makes a very good AK-74, not the AK-47. They have an older gun called the AK-54 for 7.62x54R. I'm not a big fan of Saiga 7.62x39s. They require extra modifications to use the surplus steel magazines that are common.

For your first gun, I would find a used stamped AK47. My preference would be Polish, Egyptian, or even the Hungarian AMD65 (if you want non-standard looking AK47).

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good

I feel I keep seeing this thread being posted. There is a thread tool function which can be used. Just a FYI.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Well the 7.62x59 nato round, where would i be able to find a polish ak?

Just FYI, there is no 7.62 X 59 NATO, it's 7.62 X 51 NATO which is similar to .308. The 7.62 X 54R is what the Mosins use. The "7.62 X 59" is the Czech 7.62 adopted in 1959. Just cleaning up some confusion.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    Ugh sorry guys, i just looked its 7.62x39, so i"ll look for a polish ak or go with one of the companys listed the wabbit, any pros or cons of his suggestions on makers?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield

In my lifetime of being an AK-nut, I have only had the fortune of holding a true Russian made Avtomat Kalashnikova once. I was never in the military so I never had the opportunity of even seeing one except in museums.

The true Avtomat Kalashnikova was by unconstitutional law papered and registered, and had a selling price of only $50,000. The reason is that there are only a handful of true AKs (milled receiver) in this country. I have never seen an AKM that could be legally sold in the land of shall not be infringed.

The only ATF approved (for a short time) that was called the closest thing you could buy to an AK type 3 in semi-auto was the Poly Tech Legend. It was built by the Chinese as a commercial rifle for export to the USA using Soviet blueprints.

For the most part, due to the sloppy tolerances of any current or past generation AK/AKM variant is going to be super reliable in the worst conditions. The gas piston is loose on the bolt carrier, the bolt loose in the carrier until lock up, the upper handguard/gas tube can be loose, muzzle device loose, trigger sloppy, lower handguard loose, bolt/carrier loose on the rail.

Virtually all the current AK/AKM variants fit the bill, but unfortunately the quality of build, or if imported, the quality of conversion from importable single stack mags to standard AK mags can affect performance, and this is generally what causes issues.

These days, the Yugos have a good reputation as well as several sold by Atlantic Firearms.

Unfortunately between agreements with the former soviet government continued with the new Russia, and the USA, as well as the sporting purpose bans brought on by the 1968 GCA, owning a "true" Avtomat Kalashnikova is a dream most of us will never enjoy.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have heard nothing but good things about Yugo AKMs, which is funny considering the number of builders. In fact, most agree that the Yugo is one of the few that the Century imports were done did right.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    There will be all kinds of AK's at the next 1500, I would recommend the new M70 Zastava makes. They can be found for around $700 and they have a rail built on the dust cover that will accept a wide range of optics.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Yugo's are great, but remember that they lack a chrome lined barrel. That makes surplus corrosive ammo a no-no, unless you plan on cleaning it afterward.

My suggestion would be to buy a Arsenal SGL if you can afford it. The base rifles are produced in the Russian Izmash factory in a "sporter" configuration. This is the same place that makes true AKS rifles. They are then "un-nuetered" using American made parts to make it 922R compliant, and are probably the closet semi auto thing you can buy to a true AKS on the gun shop shelves today. The VEPR rifles are also very nice, and built in the MOLOT factory in Russia. MOLOT originally made the PPSH, APS, RPK, and AGS-17. From my experience, the VEPR is the Russian "Cadillac" of AK's, due to their heavier barrel options, heavier receivers, and overall fit / finish.

chromegrill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Look for an old Chinese mak90 or a Yugo M70 or m70ab2 if you want an underfolder. The Chinese AK's are hard to beat for being very close to a Russian gun, and the Yugos are built like tanks.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Saiga 7.62. They are made in Russia at Izhmash, the same place the AKM is made. You have to do some work to convert it back to its intended configuration, but when you're done you have this, as close to a true Russian AK as you can reasonably get.

397073481.jpg

Top Bottom