• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    My opinion is that getting rid of problem leadership is a good thing. Indiscriminate killing of people in a country or organization isn't as effective as taking out the leadership particularly at the top levels.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    One of my concerns about the Obama administration was the extra-judicial determinations about who the US kills outside of its borders, outside of combat.

Al-Baghdadi is no where close to the line where it becomes a problem. Moving down the chain of command... maybe.

This isn't a criticism of Trump's approach yet, partly because we don't know enough about how the decision is made. Just voicing a concern.

ETA:
    Just to re-iterate, this is the same concern-turned-criticism that I had about Obama's approach.

RBulPMyn7Nqh3JuutmRY_F5I3Kq13vuZqKCaQiZovZ4.jpg

No, but seriously... I don't think I ever criticized obama over drone strikes against terrorist operators... weird, I must be slipping to agree with him.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    My opinion is that getting rid of problem leadership is a good thing. Indiscriminate killing of people in a country or organization isn't as effective as taking out the leadership particularly at the top levels.

Historically, the command and control leadership of an enemy state are totally fair game. Absolutely. No doubt. (Including our own.)

In the age of terrorism, that gets trickier. First, it is more difficult to tell who actually is the leader. That takes really good intel. Otherwise, we become pawns in power plays among competing factions. "We need to leak to the Americans that Joe will be the next leader. Once he's out of our way, we can take over."

Second, there's a structural gray area within our constitution. And, it has been a problem since almost the beginning. The tension gets exacerbated in the modern era of irregular warfare. That is that the POTUS as CINC can send troops to do whatever he wants, but Congress can only declare war. Well, there's a whole spectrum of conflicts between peace and war these days. What is the appropriate role for Congress?

Before Trump supporters get all twitchy about this, Trump is very much following the lead of Obama in this area. And I'm not saying any of these targeted killings under Trump is "wrong." (Obama's actions towards US citizens alleged to support Daesh are much closer to "wrong" than Trump has so far tread - from what has been reported at least.)

I would be more comfortable with some level of transparent framework for sorting out who's on the hit list. Not named targets (although the playing card thing is an example of how that can be useful), but some deliberation about how we will structurally handle this issue.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Historically, the command and control leadership of an enemy state are totally fair game. Absolutely. No doubt. (Including our own.)

In the age of terrorism, that gets trickier. First, it is more difficult to tell who actually is the leader. That takes really good intel. Otherwise, we become pawns in power plays among competing factions. "We need to leak to the Americans that Joe will be the next leader. Once he's out of our way, we can take over."

Second, there's a structural gray area within our constitution. And, it has been a problem since almost the beginning. The tension gets exacerbated in the modern era of irregular warfare. That is that the POTUS as CINC can send troops to do whatever he wants, but Congress can only declare war. Well, there's a whole spectrum of conflicts between peace and war these days. What is the appropriate role for Congress?

Before Trump supporters get all twitchy about this, Trump is very much following the lead of Obama in this area. And I'm not saying any of these targeted killings under Trump is "wrong." (Obama's actions towards US citizens alleged to support Daesh are much closer to "wrong" than Trump has so far tread - from what has been reported at least.)

I would be more comfortable with some level of transparent framework for sorting out who's on the hit list. Not named targets (although the playing card thing is an example of how that can be useful), but some deliberation about how we will structurally handle this issue.

Wait, are you talking about terrorist organizations, or the current crop of Democrat presidential candidates and Joe Biden? ;)

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    So the news today stated we killed the new #1 or the old #2 today and took a couple of those nice bearded fellers in for a chat. Awesome.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

That may seem like a clever move in the short term... the long term prospects for keeping the position are not very good though. Actually, it would probably be helpful and speed things up dramatically if the aspiring leaders from various factions did just that since they would effectively be making themselves into targets while they are trying to make others into targets.

calinb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2010
    I'm glad he's dead and gone but all you have to do is regularly watch the Ron Paul Liberty Report or listen to just a little of what Snowden and Assange have been trying to tell us to know that none of this Al-Baghdadi theater (or any story reported by government or their lamestream media lap dogs) is depicting the truth. Only the deepest of the deep state tyrants who rule us know what's really going on in the world. It's like that joke about politicians lying.

How can you tell when your government is lying to you? When it exists!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    And maybe he's actually in Paradise. None of us really know any of that for sure.

The world is likely safer in his absence.

DFacres

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    This sphere
    I thought one was supposed to die gloriously in the cause. Killing yourself because you don't want to rot at Guantanamo seems kinda' cowardly, even Bin Laden picked up a rifle

I think his virgin payoff should be discounted, maybe 36 or 24

He might be surprised if the virgins were not specified and turn out to be the same sex!!! (But-maybe not).:):

Top Bottom