• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tobi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Vodka is sugary and sticky I think. You need shine! How about Everclear? Even Everclear is a little sticky for some reason. I guess any 80 proof-plus alcohol would be somewhat beneficial in a pinch, but if you really need antiseptic then go with rubbing alcohol. In my experience Isopropyl is cleaner to work with, and you can get up to 90% purity (180 "proof" and dries nicely), plus it is way cheaper.

I get that there is a dual purpose for ethanol--bartering and all--but it isn't very hard to keep some isopropyl in your pack too. I have a lot of those little flat pre-soaked wipes in my go bag for antiseptic. I figure if that is exactly what nurses use, then you can't get much better than that!

The alcohol pads do dry up if stored for a period of time

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I don't know that it matters for sterilization but when you buy rubbing alcohol it comes in two (2) strengths: 91% and 71% or 72% (I can not remember.)

I agree with Churchmouse in that "drinking" alcohol should be purchased and/or made for the purpose of trade for a TEOTWAWKI situation. That means mass quantities at low prices for storing it. In any other situation drinking spirits will be available. Remember that when Russia had HUGE economic problems a few years ago not only was vodka available it was what was used to PAY some of the teachers! We can always count on folks wanting to and finding ways to get drunk.

Regards,

Doug

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Same here on the vodka. It's basically ethanol and water with some traces of stuff that give it a (IMHO)very slight flavor. I'm talking about plain vodka, not the foo-foo vodka that the ladies prefer. Those have sugar and flavor. But at 80 proof (typically) that's more than 50% water. Everclear is 90% ethanol and 10% water and that's the highest concentration you can get without keeping it sealed all the time. Ethanol is hygroscopic meaning that it readily absorbs water from the air and a 100% ethanol will dilute itself to 90% in a very short time.

But either vodka or Everclear would be useful for multiple purposes. Denatured alcohol has added methanol which makes it unsuitable for ingestion but it remains ok for disinfection, fuel, and other external uses.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Iodine or bleach is easier to carry. Both are excellent disinfectants. You just won't get drunk. Both can be used to purify water. Alcohol can't.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You and everyone else unfortunate enough to live in the only state in this great country, that doesn't allow take home alcohol sales on Sunday.

Where is this nonsense coming from? Who is telling you this? It must stop now.

Buy high quality beer and carry out on Sunday.

Vodka is a great survival resource--cleaning-our house to your feet, barter, anti-freeze, herbicide, insecticide, inter alia. I gave my brother a few bottles for Christmas.

Top Bottom