• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Any collapsible holster is a serious trade off. You're losing the ability to safely reholster, especially one handed. You're almost certainly flagging yourself when you holster unless you remove the holster, put the gun in it, and then replace it. That's an option for administrative handling, it's not always an option in a real confrontation.

I did get my wife a Remora since many women's clothing choices demand such trade-offs and she's definitely a light duty carrier. Just be very aware of what you're giving up to go to one.

So, somewhat on topic, somewhere on this forum I have a thread about a truly top notch holster. I had a horse hide holster made to my specifications after collaborating with a custom maker. My idea was to make a holster that lets you comfortably carry a 6" N-frame S&W revolver. I did this for two reasons. One, I don't believe in having guns that can't be put into a defensive carry role if required. Two, for when people say "I can't carry anything bigger than *insert micro-pistol* here. This holster was made specifically for me and specifically for one model and barrel length of gun, taking the properties of each into account. To my knowledge, only two of the product exist, mine and then one other fool like me wanted one. Not a commercial success, but wasn't intended to be. :)

I borrowed rather liberally from the High Noon "Tailgunner" holster (which, btw, I would also consider a fine product if they are still made today like they were 20 years ago but since it's been that long since I bought one, I can't say if that's the case or not). I spec'd out a holster that let the cylinder ride just above the belt. That'd be difficult, probably foolish, with a shorter barreled revolver since it would be very hard to stabilize and to tuck the butt in. With a 6" with a large flap of leather trailing the muzzle end (see the tailgunner) that solved the stability problem. The cylinder sitting above the belt made the thickest part of the revolver no longer line up with the belt, reducing overall bulk and increasing concealability. I had a fairly aggressive cant, enough that you could probably wear it cross draw, but for my build it was perfect for a clean draw stroke and comfort while standing or seated. The sweat guard completely covers any metal portion of the revolver and the maker elected to cut a window for the cylinder in the outboard side leather that protects one's clothing from the hammer. This also reduced bulk and also added a bit more retention. Horsehide is thinner then cow leather, more water/sweat tight, and holds it's shape better. I am not a maker, but the guys who are say it's tougher to work with and dye, though, so expect to pay more.

Now I'm not recommending a 6" N-frame as a carry gun unless you're Dirty Harry, and even then IWB is probably not the way to roll. This was an exercise in excess for it's own sake and for proof of concept. In short, it works very well but that's a side effect and the main purpose behind the collaboration was the fact it amused me to do. You could buy probably 3-5 Alienware holsters and have them a couple of months earlier then having something like this done if you can find someone to do it...but when you do and get something truly custom you know what top shelf is. If anybody gives a crap I'll try and take some new photos since apparently photobucket died and ate my old ones.

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    I have the 3.0 for my full size P320. Carry everyday. It is the most comfortable IWB holster I have ever owned. I have been carry for close to 30 years.

I have had this holster for 2 years. Still in top notch condition.

Also carried a full size M9 in a 2.0.

There customer service is great and you can swap shells if you change pistols.

SOUP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Noblesville
    I went from Alien to Black Arch Holsters and will never go back to Alien after that. The one I had could have been a fluke, but it had a few sharp edges and wobbled and flexed at the critical points. IMO The Alien is lackluster in comparison. I also really like the Vedder IWB holster I purchased for my father last year and may give them a shot myself.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Hey BBI, I have a new and unused aliengear for a snubby J frame. I'll give it to you if you want to do a trial run and review? I have no skin in the game, I'm not a big fan of AG holsters, but either way figured you could give an honest assessment of one if you're interested.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Hey BBI, I have a new and unused aliengear for a snubby J frame. I'll give it to you if you want to do a trial run and review? I have no skin in the game, I'm not a big fan of AG holsters, but either way figured you could give an honest assessment of one if you're interested.

I appreciate the offer, but there's two issues. I'll PM you.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Alien Gear is average, to mediocre. I feel the end products functionality and design suffers to accommodate the "modularity" functionality.

IronsKeeper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    Not today, ISIS
    I have an Alien Gear holster. I've actually had 3 total, 2x on the 2.0 and 1x 3.0

Other than the need to constantly check the multiple screws, they have all failed after a year or two. The reason I've had 3 is that each was a replacement or upgrade after the previous one failed.

I've carried a CZ P-07, Glock 19, Taurus TCP, Sig P226, and some other gun I used to have but don't remember.

The soft backing just means failure is a matter of "when" rather than "if."

I also broke a Bladetech in 1 week. Constant carry but never hiking, "training," or anything else. Just... everyday wear. Sucks too because the OWB angle on that Bladetech was phenomenal, had some schmedium shirts that still concealed my 226 well.

So now I'm going to harass BBI and/or read his posts to find a good quality holster so I don't keep buying "cheap" ones.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have been using an Alien gear 3.5 for a few years and it's still in great shape. Now, due to my line of work (no carry at work) and the fact I tend to stay home a good bit with mostly short trips out I don't use it all day every day. I do frequently carry with it all day on the weekends or days off though. I applied blue thread locker to the adjustment screws and have never had to touch them again
    I tend to believe BBI and if I were wearing it all day every day would probably be looking for something better. But it is easy to reholster 1 handed and carries well especially with a quality belt

Irukanji

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    SW Indiana
    I have to second the Ramora. It can be used in the pocket and IWB and I have used one almost daily for about 4 years and it has held up great!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    So out of 9 people who actually used an AG holster in this thread only 1 switch to a different brand that was similar to an AG holster. If you go by the numbers of those that have actually tried them, they seem to like them.

I looked at some of the holsters posted in this thread several look identical to the AG holster i use just maybe $20 more, some are the same price, while others are twice as high.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I have used them before and they are serviceable for a short time but just not quality enough for me. The backing warps, the screws that hold the shells and belt clips come loose, and the plastic belt clips will easily break. there are much better options out there for not that much more $$.
    On the other hand the AG mag carrier is top notch, something I endorse and actually use on a consistent basis.

Johwar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2020
    Elwood
    Aliengear IWB is a Hyundai. It's serviceable, will probably work for most uses for most users, but to call it "top notch" is a sign you have never driven anything other then Hyundais or Yugos. Your buddies have never seen an actual top notch holster. Aliengear Appendix looks very much like a Yugo would be the better bet.
    Don’t think comparison with Hyundai is quite right. At first the Hyundai was pretty crappy. Now, their quality is as good, and in some cases better than other Everyman autos. By the way, i am a Honda man myself.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    I had an alien gear when they started up, I didn’t mind mine. It was almost the middle of the line for me. I knew there were crossbreed, and uncle Mike’s. That’s been years ago and we didn’t have the options like we do now but in the past ten years think how many holster makers have made the internet. I am looking for an OWB for my rmr g19 g5. Had to be kydex for me.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I have one. It's decent but I prefer MTAC.
    Note though I haven't tried all models. I went with the MTAC because of a recommendation and I wanted something with less leather/material than the current holster I was wearing, a crossbreed. So I tried Alienware but settled with the MTAC.

That was 4 years ago.

Top Bottom