All aboard the Draco Bandwagon! Woo-woo!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SynnerG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    So after the video about the Draco SBR on here by Military Arms Channel, I was won over as to be my first SBR project. It just makes sense that the Draco is built from the ground up to work at that size and I already have a 16" RRA AR-15 that I'm tricking out so I don't need a second AR.

So here she is now, but she'll be a-changin' after I get some paper work started:
    222372_10100682754476419_6801108_65947519_6596135_n.jpg

I picked this up at Beech Grove Firearms, on curraheegun's recommendation. I already have all the replacement upgrades I want lined out on MidwayUSA's site... but of course the parts are all on back order, oy. In the mean time I decided to take the gun down, like all the way down. Since this is my first AK platform, it was an experience, but man, these really were designed by a solider. Love the take down, and getting the trigger group out wasn't insanely hard at least. My roommate is a learn-as-you-go engineering type, so I let him handle all the springs and retention pins, haha.

The trigger group and rails were crusted over in cosmoline which gave the trigger pull a very gritty feel. After breaking it all down I soaked and scrubbed the parts with Hoppes 9 and a brass brush, and basically did a "trigger job" myself with a polisher on any metal parts that rubbed next to each other, and then laid down some white gun grease on the rails after picking out the cosmo crust. She cycles smooth as ever and the trigger pull is just as good as my NM 2 Stage on my Rock River. The staging isn't as good of course, but it's there and has a clean break. I'm totally satisfied with this piece of Romanian hardware... whose name is now Katja.

Sorry for the long post, just excited and wanted to share my story. I just need curraheeguns to help me with the paper work :D and I'll update this if I get the parts I want finally.
    photostream

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    If you're having him help (see also: "do the") paperwork like he did for me, if you need anything else you might as well do that as well. I got a suppressor from him and it is still the coolest thing ever. If you gotta get your picture/fingerprints anyways you might as well get a few other NFA items. The wait is killer.

It was a good idea to clean and polish your trigger. Reassembly while using the shepherds crook should earn you a trophy.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I'm glad I got my draco before the rush. I have a feeling they are going to get harder and harder to find thanks to MAC's video haha. Because my build is going to take forever (doing it on a "married college student with a wife in Law school" budget) I am probably going to post all the pics and stuff up when it is done. No one is going to want to look at my stock Draco that will get like one part every month or two haha. What parts are you looking at getting as far as stock and grip and handguards? Are you going tactical or standard AK? I love watching these little baby AKs grown up and become a midget rifle.

SynnerG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    I'm glad I got my draco before the rush. I have a feeling they are going to get harder and harder to find thanks to MAC's video haha. Because my build is going to take forever (doing it on a "married college student with a wife in Law school" budget) I am probably going to post all the pics and stuff up when it is done. No one is going to want to look at my stock Draco that will get like one part every month or two haha. What parts are you looking at getting as far as stock and grip and handguards? Are you going tactical or standard AK? I love watching these little baby AKs grown up and become a midget rifle.

Yeah, after seeing like 3-4 separate posts about Draco SBRs I got the feeling this was the new hotness and I had to get one before they required waiting periods. I want to do the ACE side-folder like in the video, but everyone I know is like "Dude... under-folder. Dooo iiit!" But I just hate that they don't have any recoil padding and it's just more stamped metal. Looks like it'd hurt the shoulder more than anything. I also will put on a Hogue rubber grip. I have one on my RRA and I love it. The stock one just slips around in my hand and I have no support while holding it. Finally I'd get a simple M16 birdcage for a muzzle break to reign in the fireballs, nothing too aggressive (i.e. expensive).

Don't want to tacti-cool it or make it a "black gun." I already have one and I want to have a traditional looking AK in my collection.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Sounds good. It still looks as if I am going to be the only one with a fixed stock Draco... at least that is how I am planning it now. I might put a folder on it, but I am surely undecided at this point and leaning towards a fixed (collapsible) stock right now.

Shooter1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Tennyson "Warrick CO"
    I am just waiting for my paper work to get back so I can install the vz58 folder. I got some unique wood that looks great and matches my bakelite. I want it to look like a AK not a tacticooly.

SynnerG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Well here's my first update to the build. I got a Hogue over-sized rubber grip and an M-16 muzzle device threaded on. I got the smallest ACE side folder with the standard mount (push button was out of stock and 30 bucks more). I still need to get my hands on some finger print cards and someone to engrave this thing, but all the other paper work is ready.

252319_10100754855949489_6801108_66525513_7186622_n.jpg

photo.php

SynnerG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    I tried messaging him a couple times, but no response. :-(

Edit: I ran into Corey at the 1500 today and he set me up with some finger print cards. Now I just gotta go down to the station and then send off my forms!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom