• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I understand and agree. I have friends that are armed with DPMS AR's and they are or appear to be reliable. Any manufacturer can put a lemon out the door. I am looking at some up-grades for the DPMS in hopes of bringing it up to the standards of the other AR's.
    Accuracy beyond a point with an M-4 is always an issue. The colt repeats nicely at range.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Is DPMS an unreliable, lesser firearm? I was just wondering.

Wouldn't be willing to stake my life on it without some fairly major upgrades, which would make it cost more than a Colt.

My wife has one and it is a sub minute rifle that has never failed to fire, ever @ under $650.

How much rough usage has it seen? I don't mean riding around in a car, or being carrried to the range.

I would not buy an overpriced Colt, my buddy sold his because it was not accurate.

It was probably your buddy not the rifle, Been firing Colts and FNs for over 20 years and they were all accurate. In fact if you have served in the military, Vietnam time frame excluded, you have most likely carried a Colt.

But I can and would have a M&P15 for $795. I think Bushmaster @ $835 is an over priced firearm from what I have seen they have a substandard finish and (from experience), inaccurate.

The S&W is a Stag, and the Bushmaster is somehow affiliated with DPMS

I have a CMMG that is reliable as the day is long and Melanite treated for longevity but it is only accurate enough for home defense in my opinion but I would bet my life on it for $775.

Is it completely assembled correctly? Gas key, castle nut, what is the bolt made of, is it and the barrel chrome lined? Is the barrel the proper material?

I never buy a firearm because the crowd says so or to be cool. It boils down to function, reliability, and value.

The crowd you are dismissing has BTDT. There are reasons why the most technical AR guys on the planet turn their noses up at the lower to mid tier AR makers, most have already been burned.

Just because it don't cost an arm and a leg don't mean it is junk and I do not say that because I can not afford it.

You CAN save lots of money by using non-standard materials

My long range rifle cost over $3000 but you can own one that is just as accurate for half that.

You will drop 3K on a long range rifle and skimp a measly 200 on a fighting tool? Seriously?

Merry Christmas all,
    Gunner

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    To each their own.
    Most of us will probably never get in a gunfight/shooting, at least we sure hope not.
    But it could happen. That's why I went Colt, LMT and BCM for the most part.
    Also when time permits I shoot alot, and want something that will hold up.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I do have one next to the bed. It protects me and mine, even though it's never fired a shot in anger. It's a frankenstein, as are all my ARs, since I've hacked the platform enough that I know it pretty damn well. I prefer a pretty GI setup, and I trust mine to dump a few mags within minute of badguy at any range I don't need my glasses to see. Home defense. Inside the yard. That kinda stuff. Then I'll clean it. I like it clean. Sure, you can get an AR under MOA, but I just. don't. care. For long distance and "accuracy" I have other things, with bigger bullets. I won't put a magnifying scope on an AR. I just want something that I can trust to go "bang" every time I pull the trigger. As long as the parts are to spec, I can make that happen. Some people don't want to learn it that well. They should take the advice of those that have gone before. Don't try to skimp 50 bux on something that may (or may not) save your life.

Top Bottom