• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • twsulli54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Avon
    2012 is the year that I go all bow for the entire deer season. I have previously used muzzleloader. I am going to sell mine and go all bow this year. Who's with me?

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Not me.
    Although I prefer the bow once gun season comes in the muzzy comes out.
    All my properties that I hunt are pretty small. I want to drop a deer during gun season as opposed to having to wait and track.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have been doing almost the 180 degree thing doing gun only. There are more deer around and lately the season been in the end of the rut.

This year I will be picking up the bow as the gun season moves to later than the end of the rut and the bucks will be doe'd up in firearms season. So I am with you till the start of the firearms season.

ZS84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Columbus
    I only hunted with a bow for several year but I have gotten back into gun hunting more the last few years because the oldest boy has been going out deer hunting with me and gun hunting is something that we can do together (he can not pull enough weight yet with a bow). I do like to bow hunt for deer more than I like to gun hunt and i spend more days in the woods deer hunting with my bow than I do a gun. I have had two very fun years gun hunting with him and am glad that we have been able to share those moments together. Get back to me in 10 years and i suspect that I will be primarily bow hunting again.:D

KEHO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Noblesville
    I'm not ready to switch to all bow just yet. My goal for this coming season is to buy the new combo license and take those 3 deer in 3 different seasons with 3 different weapons. We'll see how it goes...

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    not me, i primarly bow hunt, and dont spend as much time hunting once gun season opens. but when i do hunt durrings gun season its with somthing i can reach way out there

JDubb

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Frankfort IN
    I usually have the freezers full during early archery, I have been done before gun comes in the past 4yrs!
    But I do get out and shoot the coyotes though....

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I usually have the freezers full during early archery, I have been done before gun comes in the past 4yrs!
    But I do get out and shoot the coyotes though....
    Controlling the yotes is going to become a key in keeping deer in your area.

Last year was the first time I have seen yotes chasing does. It was during the calving season and I think the does were trying to lead the dogs from the little fawns. I had heard they do it but it was the first time I witnessed it myself.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    I am a meat hunter and am generally finished by the time firearms rolls around. This year however I only had two deer withing bow range and didn't take either. So I was backed into a corner and had to get my shotgun out.

NDhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    North Central IN
    I'm always only a bowhunter. Unless I don't kill my buck before gun season, then the gun comes out.

But in reality, I was extremely fortunate and shot a buck this year that I'll probably never be able to live up to again (in size or story or adventure). It was with a gun, so I really doubt if I gun hunt in Indiana for deer for a long time. I'll try to get the best that I can with the bow from here on out. (I hope I hold up to this when the rut is heavy, I've seen good bucks all bow season, but haven't closed, and it's the special magic that is the night before the gun opener) We'll see.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I really want a 125 net with recurve.
    Gonna try and hold out for that, and 150+ for gun.
    Might bow during gun, if I see a decent buck repeatedly in early season.
    Decent buck sightings way down so it'll probably be a couple of does in the freezer this yr. Fine with me!

I just don't want a 125+ buck at spittin' distance and me toting some wheels or a blaster.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Just started bow hunting 3 yrs ago. Love it more than gun or muzzle loader. I have yet to get a deer with my muzzle loader so that will stay in use at least until I have taken my first deer with it. If I can get a buck and a doe during early archery, then I would likely stick with bow all season in Indiana.

I only hunt rifle back in PA.

Willob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    I bowhunt thru the first weekend of gun season and then if I do not have meat in the freezer I sometimes get out the old muzzleloader or maybe a handgun. Last season I killed a small 8 point the second weekend of gun with a contender in 35 Remington. That was different. I had not taken a buck the 2 previous seasons due to holding out for a P&Y buck (along with a couple of mmmmmissssess!).

Top Bottom