• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Airguns are tools and they are useful to firearms safety and training.

• Total voters

trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    Been searching everywhere possible online for one of those, looks like they're having a difficult time getting them- even in europe. profile_left.jpg

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I hardly call a 500ft-lb energy airgun a toy.

I got in to PCP air guns a few years ago and I don't even consider them just a training aid or just a light hunting weapon. Some of them are serious weapons and just as deadly as most firearms. I put the larger ones on par with a muzzleloader though they load faster.

I too started with spring-piston rifles as my "entry" into more serious pellet guns and retained the opinion of them as just toys. Toys with more oomph to be sure, but hardly serious weapons except for squirrel or rabbit sized game. Then the arrival of mass production PCP airguns and the wide proliferation of them over the last decade or so has completely changed the game. I am now spending as much on a quality airguns and shooting them much more cheaply than my powder burning rifles.

I have a Sam Yang .45 which shoots any .451 or .452 projectile, and will shoot my reject cast 230gr (ones I wouldn't load for pistol) just fine and at around 700fps. I mostly shoot into a bullet trap and melt down and recast the bullets for almost completely cost-free shooting. I have a AirForce Condor .25 shooting around 65ft-lbs energy.

Some airguns can be toys, but there are many now on the market that a hardcore gun enthusiast should take seriously.

trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    So I picked up a Crosman C11 co2 bb pistol at a pawn shop the other day for cheap. Brought it home, and tried it out. Of course it was a basket case- mag causing double feeds and the safety wouldn't engage properly. Next I contacted Crosman for the schematics to set about fixing it, lo, and behold: they tell me the seriel number I gave is still covered under warranty!
    The Pistol has now been returned per their instruction. Waiting now to see how it goes. Will letya know!

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Let us know how you like it. It is on my Christmas list. Not sure if I'm going to get it but I am sure it would be useful around where I live.

It's been a learning experience. I broke it on the 4th shot. Didn't want to send it back, so I tore into it and fixed it. Had the scope on and off 3 times, then discovered I had bent the barrel.

I bent the barrel back (kinda) and now it shoots great. It's very accurate now, supposedly more accurate when it's broke in. I've ordered a Charlie Tuna CBR trigger.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It's been a learning experience. I broke it on the 4th shot. Didn't want to send it back, so I tore into it and fixed it. Had the scope on and off 3 times, then discovered I had bent the barrel.

I bent the barrel back (kinda) and now it shoots great. It's very accurate now, supposedly more accurate when it's broke in. I've ordered a Charlie Tuna CBR trigger.

How do you bend the barrel? Been lifting a lot, lately?:)

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    A 500 fps pellet rifle, as per regulation for 10 meter competition, are very quiet. The down side is that the kill power in .177 is light also. I often get ground squirels out to about 12-15 yards, and I hate having to make a 2nd hit. The 1000 fps guns are way better for power, but are quite a bit louder. I am considering a .22 caliber air rifle for pest control, at maybe 700 + fps. That should get me the power without the noise.

As far as "toys", if you spend $39.00 on a pellet rifle you get a toy. Better air guns cost more than a new 10-22. Once you are above $800 to 1000, you get a fine gun. Mine FWB Match rifle came with a factory guarantee to shoot 10 shots with a .039" center to center group, and came with the certified test target. When I can stand, sight down the match rifle sights, and hold .039" group after group, I might say the rifle is not a worth wild training device. I am still over .250" on good days, and I can afford to keep training, even using match grade pellets.

Last edited:

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    I love my FWB 124D springer. It reeks of German made quality. Far more accurate than I'm capable of shooting it. At 800 bucks I don't consider it a toy

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Hopefully not like this:

Same idea, but I didn't pull the trigger. Mine didn't get to the catch point or didn't catch before I let it slip from my grasp. Same bend, but not nearly as severe as the vid. It wasn't terribly apparent until I put a strait edge to it.

The gun was shooting ~18" high with the scope maxed out in adjustment. :n00b:

20151121_212819_zpsztzdkrpy.jpg

Last edited:

trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    So I picked up a Crosman C11 co2 bb pistol at a pawn shop the other day for cheap. Brought it home, and tried it out. Of course it was a basket case- mag causing double feeds and the safety wouldn't engage properly. Next I contacted Crosman for the schematics to set about fixing it, lo, and behold: they tell me the seriel number I gave is still covered under warranty!
    The Pistol has now been returned per their instruction. Waiting now to see how it goes. Will letya know!

My C11 came today!,Crosman sent me a brand spanking new one, and a box of 15 co2 bottles! I freaking love this company!!!!
    I do not consider my C11 a toy btw... it is a very useful training device. The possibilities are endless. :rockwoot:

trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    A 500 fps pellet rifle, as per regulation for 10 meter competition, are very quiet. The down side is that the kill power in .177 is light also. I often get ground squirels out to about 12-15 yards, and I hate having to make a 2nd hit. The 1000 fps guns are way better for power, but are quite a bit louder. I am considering a .22 caliber air rifle for pest control, at maybe 700 + fps. That should get me the power without the noise.

As far as "toys", if you spend $39.00 on a pellet rifle you get a toy. Better air guns cost more than a new 10-22. Once you are above $800 to 1000, you get a fine gun. Mine FWB Match rifle came with a factory guarantee to shoot 10 shots with a .039" center to center group, and came with the certified test target. When I can stand, sight down the match rifle sights, and hold .039" group after group, I might say the rifle is not a worth wild training device. I am still over .250" on good days, and I can afford to keep training, even using match grade pellets.

Fantastic! However I strongly disagree that my Red Ryder should be considered a toy. It is a snake eradicating machine!

trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    Anyone ever attend the big annual Kalamazoo Airgun Show? Is it worth going to?
    I just found out about it. Are there any similar shows in Indiana?

Washbush

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2012
    Bloomington
    Greetings gents ...

I'm the new guy on the block ... I am refreshing my place here in Bloomington after living in Wisconsin for some time. The airgun community up there is quite sophisticated. I have developed quite an interest in airgun "precision shooting", similar to the pistol and rifle events that take place in the Olympics. I am not really qualified to comment on how much skill transfers from airguns to firearms. But, I can speak to the incredible developments in the airgun community over just the last 5 years or so. I never thought I would ever see .357 or .45 cal airguns, much less .50 cal, but ... they are on the market today. I have never used a $5000 air gun, but they exist and I hope I get the chance to see what they are like someday. I do know that as a senior-senior citizen of 75+ years, I find a lot of features of ultra-precision shooting to suit me and my station in life. It is good to know that the cost per shot is very, very low; that the guns are smooth and not physically challenging from a recoil standpoint, and, in many cases, the gun is so quiet that, with no report beyond a "click" and a "poof", sometimes only the "click", it takes a little getting used to in the beginning. It looks as if the only comparative shortcoming these days is in the area of extreme long range accuracy and that gets better every day.

The SHOT SHOW is taking place starting today, I think, and I am sure that the next few weeks will show all kinds of progress in the airgun world also. For sure, a person has to be very, very careful about associating the word "airgun" with kid's toys these days. Many airguns have become the real deal. For all of these reasons, I have decided to make the move completely and so I consider myself an airgunner now. I don't own a firearm at the present time. Having said that, I hope you guys will not throw me out on my ear, or worse, and maybe a few of you would even like to get together from time to time and see what all this new stuff is all about.

Maybe somoene would like to start an Airgun Forum. I, for one, would like that.

John Washbush
    Bloomington

Top Bottom