• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The 3 Rivers website has an arrow calculator to figure out what you need (if using carbons).
    The old Easton chart was good, if wanting aluminum.
    I gave up on wood arrows in '88.
    Not durable enough for my farting around.

3 Rivers is north of Ft wayne, is in Ashley Indiana.
    They used to be in Ft Wayne way back, not too far from my mom's place.
    I got all the crap to make wooden arrows back then, when the shop was in the basement of a house LOL

Made some pretty sweet bleed crested arrows for my Blackwidow MA2 (new in '87) and buds and I went stump shooting, broke a couple and said "not again".
    Went to aluminums.
    Ran those for years, and switched to carbons in 2002.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Been thinking about getting a bow for a few months now, just never pulled the trigger. Today there was a yard sale down the road from me and a Matthews solocam compound bow for $50 dollars was there. I bought it. It also came with a quick release or puller. I don’t know what it is called. No arrows, that fine though. Going to have it checked out at an archery shop and if it passes, I’m buying arrows. Arrows are a little more reusable then bullets plus a local county park had an archery range.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    St. Anthony Conservation Club is having its 9th annual Archery Expo this Saturday.

30 target shoot registration 8 a.m. - 1 p.m. est. On site raffles, bow raffle, prize targets. Official scorer on site, bring your mounts, and see other mounts! Great food available. ATV, truck and other vendors set up! For more info check out our Facebook Page!

https://www.facebook.com/events/1419815901532130/

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    So i have a question. I'm on the struggle bus with my bow. I'm fairly new i shoot 50-80 arrows a day and i'm consistently low and right. I'm shooting 28 in arrows at 350 and 400 spine. Ive got a 28 DL 70 PW an SL of 89 3/4 and 32 an 1/4 BCL.... any pointers would be appreciated. Im consisten in groups for most part but i wanna tighten up my actual arrow placement.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    With your specs, stick with the 350 spine. 400 is too weak. As long as your bow is tuned correctly and you are consistently low right, move your sight. Follow the arrow, move the housing right and down. It won't take much to move the impact. As far as tightening your groups, practice. If your comfortable and consistent shooting at 30 yds, move back to 40. I practice my target bow out to 100 yds. My hunting bow I will go back to 70 yds. By doing this, shooting 50 yds and in is easy.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I shot 29.5" 400s fine at 72# but my cam wasnt aggressive and I ran 65% let off.

Think some of the spine ratings less than accurate and over use there degredation.

Also depends on what kind of rest you have, dampening or not. Drop aways due to lack of cushion tend to be more picky.

Of course ones form and other can be of influence.

I shot some out to 100 back when I ran wheels but most of my shooting was 60 and under.

50 yards is good enough to tell you what you need to know. Old IBO classes went to 60 so kinda stuck w that as my max.

When you can only shoot one BH at a spot at 50 for fear or smoking it on the next, thats good enough ( fixed blade ).

Hmmm, too bad that last Hoyt Protec I saw was just 60#. Miss my 70 #. 37 inch axle to axle, it was a darn good shooting rig. Heavy though.

Trying to find a safari finish ultratec. LOL

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Wanting to buy a bow for my wife just for target/fun. Not sure about a recurve.. looking for suggestions. Thanks!
    Has she ever shot before? Compounds are more "gunlike" in that you have both a front and rear sight, and they can be shot with a release. But if she's ever shot recurve before, she may go for that also. They just require a little more patience to be accurate with.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Has she ever shot before? Compounds are more "gunlike" in that you have both a front and rear sight, and they can be shot with a release. But if she's ever shot recurve before, she may go for that also. They just require a little more patience to be accurate with.
    Yes. She had shot before.. I was wanting a compound but as low draw as possible. It’s just for shooting targets. She’s tried a recurve and didn’t like it. Thanks for any help

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Mission makes a nice bow for beginners. I bought my wife a DXT. It had a big adjustment range in draw weight and length. I think it was around $400. Try to stay away from a short brace height (6-6.5"). I like one that is close around 7". The longer brace is more forgiving.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Question for the guys who know archery gear:

I have a Wicked Ridge Invader HP crossbow that I bought new in August of 2014. The Wicked Ridge manual states that "The string and cables should be replaced every 2-3 years at a minimum, regardless of how many shots have been taken".

I did have the cables and string replaced in August of 2017, but now, if I wait until the 2022 deer season it will be 5 years since the cable and sting have been changed. Why do they recommend replacing the cable and string so frequently? I get it that unlike a compound bow, a crossbow is under tension from the time you start hunting, until you discharge that bolt, whether that be at an animal or into a discharge bag. But, why do they say to change them every 2-3 years no matter how many shots have been taken? If you`ve done this, you know, having them changed is not inexpensive.

Would I be ok hunting the 2022 deer season if it will have been 5 years since my last change? Or would I be putting myself, and/or the crossbow at risk?

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I'm not for sure on crossbow recommendations. I know with regular vertical bows, strings will last a real long time if they are kept waxed and stored where it doesn't get real hot. I am guessing they recommend the string change for liability reasons. I would have someone look at the strings who would be able to tell you if you are still good or need to replace.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Got injection in shoulder last week. Can start my PT at home again this week.
    Just strung up my new Blackwidow, been sitting in the box for a while.

Was of minor discomfort and i drew it maybe 3/4. No major pain.

See how it goes this weekend.

Lost some strength w injury and covid crap. Its like starting from ground zero.

Cant really tune til form comes back. But Ill stand close to the bag target and send a few.

Maybe ill be OK.

Top Bottom