• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    When you say old, how old? Seems most everybody I know switched over to 100 grain about 10 years ago. For fun I shot 100's next to 125's and was doing good groups side by side with no difference at 12 yards. Move out to 20 and there is a noticable differnce. The arrow plains out at a greater distance for much longer with a lighter head. If you are shooting a lighter draw weight you may want to consider a heavier head. If you are shooting 55plus go lighter. Take every two cents you can it will add up for you.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Shoot whatever tunes well.
    I think a 125gr and higher FOC to be a better hunting combination.
    But if a 100 gr blows through both sides of your deer where you aim, that should be good enough ;)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Use a cut on contact fixed blade broadhead (like Magnus Stinger w bleeders), stick with 125 gr and maybe go with the Goldtip shaft system where you can add weights to change spine/FOC.

Your bow is probably fine. You may however require an arrow that is a bit unlike what is popular with others.

Mechanical heads and light shafts are for higher performance gear. Even when shooting such gear i run higher FOC and heavier overall weight arrows. Even target shooting, I run hunting arrow setups.

Last edited:

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Shoot whatever tunes well.
    I think a 125gr and higher FOC to be a better hunting combination.
    But if a 100 gr blows through both sides of your deer where you aim, that should be good enough ;)

Last year I put a 100g fixed broadhead through a Buck and so far into the ground the fletchings were no longer visible. 65lb Hoyt. IMO talking 100 vs 125 is like comparing 9mm to .40. A good shot with either one...

Thunderhead2389

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    Where the heck are all the archery folks? Man, it's less than a month from opening day, and there is no one talking about bows and arrows... I shot a bow long before I shot a gun, and my archery training has helped me be a petty decent gun shooter.. So, I know there is value in the two disciplines... I love my bow (Mathews Reezen) and I love to shoot... I am a 4-H archery leader in my county, and we have about 60 kids that shoot.... and a portion of these kids may end up being gun owners, NRA members, and Second Ammendment supporters...

redhead

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Archers are here!! Tell you what, I helped guide a phesants forever youth event last year and the 4-H folks were out there teaching the kids and letting them shoot. It was a fantastic time and greatly appreciated the help! Just with there were recurves or longbows there.

I shoot a Pronghorn and love it!! 11/1 is right around the corner!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Where the heck are all the archery folks? Man, it's less than a month from opening day, and there is no one talking about bows and arrows... I shot a bow long before I shot a gun, and my archery training has helped me be a petty decent gun shooter.. So, I know there is value in the two disciplines... I love my bow (Mathews Reezen) and I love to shoot... I am a 4-H archery leader in my county, and we have about 60 kids that shoot.... and a portion of these kids may end up being gun owners, NRA members, and Second Ammendment supporters...

We're shooting, as our gear is already established for this season :)

Thunderhead2389

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    So, here is the magic question that I've been asked about 50 times in the last three weeks... "what kind of broadhead are you using?". Well, as my user name would suggest, I should be using Thunderheads... and I did... for over a decade. I was not interested in the mechanical broadheads, and the fixed blade Thunderhead had always done the job... That was until the fall of 2010... That is when I saw my buddy harvest a nice mature 10 point... and his shot was questionable at best. I beleive that he found this deer for one reason... his broadhead, and that was the day that I purchased my first set of Rage broadheads. Since then, I have harvested 6 deer and have tracked no more than 50 yards. These broadheads are impressive... That's not to say that there are tons of others that will do the job, and have a great track record, but for me, it's going to take something pretty special to get me away from my 100 gr. Rage broadheads... How bout you?

Thunderhead2389

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    Mathews Reezen + Beman arrows + Rage broadheads + Scent Blocker clothing and boots + Practice + patience + a love for the outdoors = a great day of hunting. You can eliminate all but the last one... Man, I can't wait for October 1st... C'meer Deer!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I don't shoot 100 gr anything.
    I shoot 125's on my wheeled stuff, and on trad gear run 125 and most times add 50gr or more to the insert to get proper spine and higher FOC.
    Magnus Stinger, w bleeders if under 55# in trad gear. Snuffers if over 55#.
    G5 Striker 125's if using wheels.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I'm using a PSE Lightning Flite set at 60#. Easton Game Getter 320's with Muzzy 3 blade 125's. This is going to be my first archery season so hopefully I can make it all workout.

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    I have a Hoyt takedown recurve I have had for 27 years and never hunted with.Im a pipefitter by trade so I will be able to hunt where ever I wind up. New string, new arrows and finishing up a hardcase for travel. Dont know why I didnt think of it sooner ;) Poor compound will get left at home lol....................

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    I purchased my first set of Rage broadheads. Since then, I have harvested 6 deer and have tracked no more than 50 yards. These broadheads are impressive... That's not to say that there are tons of others that will do the job, and have a great track record, but for me, it's going to take something pretty special to get me away from my 100 gr. Rage broadheads... How bout you?

I shot Rage 2-blade broadheads for three seasons and killed 9 deer with them. With the exception of one pass-through, the rest of the arrows stayed in the deer as they ran and expired. That resulted in eight expensive arrows being broken. Poor penetration seems to be the only complaint I've read about Rage broadheads. It seems like any hunting show in which you see them in use, the deer runs off with the arrow hanging out of it.

I only lost one deer while using them. I had photos of a 10-pointer on my trail camera, and caught up with him the first week of November 2010. I hit him in the vertebrae at 30 yards -- he may have jumped the string slightly, or I may have just shot high. Who knows? Anyway, the arrow didn't penetrate deep enough to sever the spine, and after a quick grunt from my tube, he walked closer and stopped perfectly broadside at 20 yards. The second arrow busted right into the ribcage where I wanted it to, and he charged off crashing into the brush.

I waited about a half hour, then slipped out of there in the opposite direction to get tracking help. We returned in the dark at least two hours later, and took up the bloodtrail. We had copious amounts of bubbly lung blood, and came upon an empty, bloody bed. We then backed out and resumed the search the next morning. We tracked that buck for hundreds of yards, and discovered at least three more bloody beds, but no buck. I'm confident that it was only a single-lung hit, as he survived.

How do I know he survived? He was hit by a car the following January. By the time I got to him, someone had already sawed his antlers off. But, lodged there in the vertebrae was my Rage broadhead and two or three inches of my carbon arrow. I switched to Slick Tricks the next season (2011), and killed 6 deer with them. All six Slick Tricks penetrated both sides of the deer.

Top Bottom