• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Went to 3 Rivers yesterday (was on way to Trine University, Hoosier Girls State was held there this year- great program- kid had a blast).

Got a new string for my BW, flemish B50. BW's run smaller loops, but with the flemish I just gave it a twist or two at the loops to shrink them appropriately. Got a 3 under Wilson tab to try, did many moons ago and didn't like it. Back then was corfam or whatever they call it. I got a calfhair this time.

Store room I don't think open except for Sats (according to a bud I text'd). I just grabbed a catalogue and the guy behind the counter wrote the numbers and fetched them quickly.

If I get the yard mowed tomorrow maybe I can shoot and get tune finalized.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    Shot my first 3D bow shoot this past Sunday in Corydon, IN. I shot a 207. I was pretty happy with how I did for my first time. Can't wait to do it again next weekend.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If the hood is the only diff colorwise, just spray bomb it. I did my Fuse to match the Safari finish color scheme on my Protec
    attachment.php

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    BTW, the exit is in her fwd armpit. She was shot on the move, at 19 yards, with a Snuffer SS. I was on another forum where some jerk was talking about "deer hunting".
    I told him I knew my spot an averaged a deer every 4 trips out, hunting ony 1/2 days. He called BS. 4th trip out (waited until back half of Oct- when that spot got good).
    Had this pic posted before noon................called the placement ahead of time too.

attachment.php

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Got another K tech 3" stabilizer today. Shot the BW with it, couldn't tell if it helped (the bow still has some noise, the balance is better duh, but it has minimal shock)..
    My string did stretch (new, B50) and I yanked 50 gr off an insert to spine my GT55/75 for the higher # (arrows set up for 53# Hoyt).

Man it zipped 'em in there. But it was kinda loud. Check showed brace dropped substantially, was at 8.5, dropped below 7.75. It's back at 8.5. I hate the old B50 stretch for day after day. My Dyna 97 stuff would stretch too, but after 100-150 shots it was done.

Flemish B50 seems a bit stubborn.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Got another K tech 3" stabilizer today. Shot the BW with it, couldn't tell if it helped (the bow still has some noise, the balance is better duh, but it has minimal shock)..
    My string did stretch (new, B50) and I yanked 50 gr off an insert to spine my GT55/75 for the higher # (arrows set up for 53# Hoyt).

Man it zipped 'em in there. But it was kinda loud. Check showed brace dropped substantially, was at 8.5, dropped below 7.75. It's back at 8.5. I hate the old B50 stretch for day after day. My Dyna 97 stuff would stretch too, but after 100-150 shots it was done.

Flemish B50 seems a bit stubborn.

I have always shot B50 Dacron and learned to live with the stretch. Flemish is a little louder and slower but, as long as the arrow goes where it needs to it doesn't really matter.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I liked how my Fastflite strings shot in quick and stayed where they should brace wise (only had one after shoot-in go crazy, but that was after I got caught in a downpour).
    Let it dry, waxed again and twisted up, it stayed put.

Due to the narrow limbs and grooves, I went Flemish as a reg served string had too big of a convergence ate base of loops.

My BW SA2's had Flemish and were quiet and fast (right at 200 FPS with 480gr carbons). This old magnesium handle HS is loud as heck. Might be due to single pin below bolt. Maybe some rocking, can't lay felt between riser and limb as it really makes for flex. I'll try moleskin under string lays, and maybe RTV the limbs to the riser if there's any fitment issue (I shoot take downs, but don't take them down- leave 'em strung all the time, just like the idea of replacing limbs should there be an accident).

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I liked how my Fastflite strings shot in quick and stayed where they should brace wise (only had one after shoot-in go crazy, but that was after I got caught in a downpour).
    Let it dry, waxed again and twisted up, it stayed put.

Due to the narrow limbs and grooves, I went Flemish as a reg served string had too big of a convergence ate base of loops.

My BW SA2's had Flemish and were quiet and fast (right at 200 FPS with 480gr carbons). This old magnesium handle HS is loud as heck. Might be due to single pin below bolt. Maybe some rocking, can't lay felt between riser and limb as it really makes for flex. I'll try moleskin under string lays, and maybe RTV the limbs to the riser if there's any fitment issue (I shoot take downs, but don't take them down- leave 'em strung all the time, just like the idea of replacing limbs should there be an accident).

I would love to shoot fastflight due to that benefit but my '70s Kodiak Mag can't handle it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Twisted it to 8 5/8" again today, still noisy. Nobody has black moleskin in town :(
    I tried some hobby store adhesive backed felt for the string grooves, too stiff and would crinkle after string hit.
    Got some Sims vibe dampeners to play with. Don't want to run 'em.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Sometime in the bow's history it got flat blacked (reg black with BW Spiderweb finish must have been a little shiny for somebody's taste). I just acetoned/IPA'd the thing and it's got an even finish now and it didn't degrade the bubble of the Spiderweb epoxy clear.

Of course it wiped out the vintage decal. But I was gonna try to copy the lettering/logo of the hand painted, like current BW's.

Now maybe the Sims vibe dampeners will actually stick! (of course I gotta round up some double sided tape due to one having Krylon contamination). LOL

My MA and two SA's were new enough that just a Velcro sideplate had them centered correctly. This old mag handle a bit more past center and NOT radiused, so it needed a toothpick under the sideplate. It seems OK, but may need just a little more..... paper tune will tell.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Big Paul (used to see him at walton's Glen) used to shoot a 65# Palmer with carbon limbs, with light tapered carbon arrows. That thing sounded like a .22 when he shot, but man did it zip 'em
    (235+ maybe even 250 FPS IIRC). I tried some of his arrows out of my 55 lb BW and hit 220's). But shock and noise was terrible.

No wonder he could call head shots on the turkey targets on the 3 D range to 35 yards!

I'd like to try a Palmer set up for "normal" arrows LOL.

Was fun shooting around Paul, he was rather animated.

ironSY395

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Valpo
    Just bought my first bow a couple of months ago it's a bear with a 31.5 draw on 65lbs. I bought two different arrows a set from bass pro carbon express and cabelas carbon hunter both just to get a feel and sight it in. Then I bought 3 different sets of broadheads Hellblazers , Nordics if thats right and Muzzy 3 blade 100gr. which I ended up taking the first two back and getting a 3/16 pep without the strings in the way and a redhead release. 20130505_075058.jpg 20130505_090032.jpg

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    Still working to fine tune my Palmer and they are fast! I have it tuned to be hunting quiet right now. I will shoot it over the chrono sometime when I am not as busy. Smooth shooting and good speed. Love the grip too! Let me know and maybe we can get together and shoot a few!

MJ317

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Greenwood
    Honey Creek Tackle's Archery department +1

2nd year using a crossbow and I was having issues with my Barnett Crossbow and they knew exactly what was going on with it. Trouble with scope holding zero and was prepared to buy a new scope and that wasn't it at all. Ended up being not enough lube on the rails and the arrows I was shooting. 20 yd pin cutting the X now.

MJ317

Top Bottom